Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Google Maps via App Connect using IPhone

No you didn't....
But didn't you try apple maps with carplay before google maps was available?
I naturally assumed you were comparing apple maps (pre IOS 12) to google maps now IOS 12 has arrived.
Didn't you use navigation pre IOS 12 in carplay?

Hi 2020,
Yes, I have tried various navigation tools, imaps Waze etc. Google and waze being my personal preferred choices. Waze hopefully will soon be updated alongside google so that will become available to CarPlay.
I did not mention other apps or preferences as not wishing to hijack the post. I know that once we start going into comparisons and preferences we will more likely be opening up a can of worms.
I too have the iPhone 8, with that in conjunction with car play I now have a brilliant future proof sat nav alternative. Any model of iPhone running IOS12 can run google via CarPlay. There is also the android version of CarPlay that has been running google for some time now and I think equally as good.
I hope you will be pleased with your new phone when it arrives and are equally as pleased with whatever sat nav app You decide to use.

I like the clarity of Apple maps - easily the best to follow. In comparison with Google/Waze (presuming the mapping is exactly the same?) it's fine on the open road but in cities with many junctions/intersections then it can be very difficult to follow the exact turning/exit etc (I'm taking on a phone screen here).

I also find Google takes us on real wild goose chases especially in France - down ridiculous C roads and dirt tracks.

Apple lacks a lot of options but I wish they all had an option to specify 'stick to major trunk roads' as opposed to just avoid tolls.

Agreed that the speed limit thing on Google is a pain - Waze is probably my favourite but Google often wins as the whole Google integration thing from the desktop, ie 'saved' places, send to phone etc works so well.

Hi 2020,
I hope you will be pleased with your new phone when it arrives and are equally as pleased with whatever sat nav app You decide to use.
THANKS...
The phone has arrived, all set up but I just haven't got around to trying Google Maps yet.
I'm really pleased with apple maps as sat nav (except no speed cameras) since I had the Cali and car play.
Hence my question...because if google trumps it I'll be seriously impressed. :thumb

A Waze update has just come out - CarPlay is now supported
Both Waze and Google maps now supported on carplay on my 6 SE, whilst they are probably very useful for traffic info I find the built in VW Satnav to be much easier to use in practice.

Used Waze for the first time today and liked it. Fired up the VW Satnav and set my route. Then Waze. Used the screen for Waze and had turn directions and info from Satnav on my MFD.
Nice to get the speed camera notifications traffic etc.
I’ll play with it a bit more but it’s all good.

Mike

Used Waze for the first time today and liked it. Fired up the VW Satnav and set my route. Then Waze. Used the screen for Waze and had turn directions and info from Satnav on my MFD.

Mike

Waze has been a revelation.

In the settings you can also enable current speed limit to display (which I like) and it can also warn you if you go over 5% etc.

Mike

Some serious male multitasking going on here o_O

I used Waze going and returning from Dorset. On the way back we came through S Wales and saw signs that the A466 was closed somewhere after Tintern. There were no diversion signs, so I assumed these would be posted further along the road. We stopped at Tintern and I checked the route on Waze and Google maps, neither showed a road closure so I thought we'd be ok to carry on.

We eventually came to the closure, there were no diversion signs so I had no alternative but to shunt up a side road. I didn't know where it went and if course Waze stopped working, probably due to no 4g signal!

So it was back to the trusty built in sat nav.

Waze is ok but you do need to be aware of its shortcomings. I also find the voice irritating on both Waze and Google maps. It's really good to have them on hand though.

At present what I am doing is activating Waze but using the built in sat nav for guidance. Waze still pops up with notifications for cameras and hazards so I'll see how that goes.

I used Waze going and returning from Dorset. On the way back we came through S Wales and saw signs that the A466 was closed somewhere after Tintern. There were no diversion signs, so I assumed these would be posted further along the road. We stopped at Tintern and I checked the route on Waze and Google maps, neither showed a road closure so I thought we'd be ok to carry on.

We eventually came to the closure, there were no diversion signs so I had no alternative but to shunt up a side road. I didn't know where it went and if course Waze stopped working, probably due to no 4g signal!

So it was back to the trusty built in sat nav.

Waze is ok but you do need to be aware of its shortcomings. I also find the voice irritating on both Waze and Google maps. It's really good to have them on hand though.

At present what I am doing is activating Waze but using the built in sat nav for guidance. Waze still pops up with notifications for cameras and hazards so I'll see how that goes.

A good point raised there Colin.

Without mobi signal you could find yourself in a black spot so no sat nav.
Not sure about Waze yet as I am still investigating and playing with it. With google you can use the latest maps offline (assuming you have downloaded)so no mobi signal required.

The built in satnavs do require a good radio signal to ensure you have latest info.
(I think Mike has found the ultimate compromise)

With google you will have the latest traffic info up to any blackspots with phone signal. I do think blackspots are quite rare these days but they do exist still, especially over here in Wales (and I guess abroad too)

I must add that in my experience within the U.K. I tend to ignore a lot of the info regarding roadworks and diverted routes etc. Many cases when sticking to original route the only road works or reason for sat nav wanting to divert has long since gone.
But then again I live in the sticks and don’t have to deal with heavy traffic on Motorways etc.(These places do have good coverage tho)

Bob.

Google actually supports offline map downloads.
I didnt like waze before but now its the only option on Carplay that lets you search for something and add it to the route. Google does support it in their iOS app but not on Carplay for some reason.

Back