Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California 680 - Build DELAY!

Breeze1

Breeze1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
I wouldn't mind bigger wheels.
But the problem is they don't make load rated bigger tyres for the weight of the GC and speed rating.
Not in 18 inch , if you know of any on the market.
Looked at wheels there’s a few around, ie 18” Black Rhino think Oz, got me thinking now re Tyres.

B

Bendwg

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Ask on here, there are lots of owners on that page fitting various wheel option
I wouldn't mind bigger wheels.
But the problem is they don't make load rated bigger tyres for the weight of the GC and speed rating.
Not in 18 inch , if you know of any on the market.
Continental do a van contact tyre 255/55/18 LR120. Not cheap though

S

soppelsa

I saw a load rating of 112 on the continental and a 98 load rating for 18inch.
I thought the current GC have a rating of 115 on the tyre.
The Continental blurb said not suitable for snow and shouldn't be used in sub zero temperatures.

B

Bendwg

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
S

soppelsa

Great! Just need load rated vw 18 inch alloys.
What speed rating is R?

W

Wisp

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hey Guys.
We ordered our 680 on 01DEC20 and were told to expect delivery APR/MAY21. Coincidentally, the VW SHC delay allows us more hope of post-probation stability as Ross has just been recruited by a new company, working from home (or on the road, thankfully)
I turned SIXTY yesterday (I know, I KNOW!) and we’ve decided to hang on for a SEP/OCT delivery.
Still excited though...
About the van, that is - not the sixty bit.
Ian
Hello Ian,
I've just been told by my dealer that VW are saying that I have the choice of removing the diesel heating from the specification or walking away from the deal and have the deposit refunded. Waiting is not an option. Have you had any feedback about your?
Alan

W

Wisp

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hello ,
good news .
My dealer in Stuttgart, Germany, just wrote me that the diesel heating (YHC) Truma, is available again.

Due to Corona Truma had problems with parts delivery.
Bart
Hello Bart,
Not so good news!
My UK dealer has just told me (YHC) diesel heating option not available. I can remove option from specification or walk away from deal and have my deposit refunded. No option to wait!
Alan

B

Bart7974

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi Alan,

I was just writing you the following :):

Since end of January, here in Germany, it was not possible anymore to order the Truma diesel heater for a GC. Last week a dealer in Stuttgart wrote me that the Truma is now available again and since yesterday it is again in the German configuration tool (disappeared there 3 weeks ago) and possible to order now.

maybe wait a week or two. I will follow this in the German forum.

Bart

W

Wisp

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Thank you for the prompt response. It is difficult to make sense of the information coming from VW. I wonder whether VW are using this ultimatum to wriggle out of the price protection I was offered when I ordered on 1st December. Have there been any recent price increases in the German market?
Please keep me informed of any updates in Germany.
Many thanks.
Alan

B

Bart7974

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
here it is also sometimes not easy to get specific information from VW about things like the "no diesel heater", that is why I wrote Truma and they told me the problem was a non deliverable part from the D.heater due to ....Corona , there is boom of campers and caravans on the moment , one specific part was not deliverable on the moment, they could not tell me for how long .

The dealer in Stuttgart told me there will be a price update after the 1e March :(.

Bart

P

Paddy GC680

Vehicle
Grand California 680
I have not had any updates on the diesel heater. So I am hoping for the best. Still waiting for the delivery date. Ordered the VW680 on the 12th January. If its available now on the web site, I would think parts are now sorted.

B

Bendwg

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I have not had any updates on the diesel heater. So I am hoping for the best. Still waiting for the delivery date. Ordered the VW680 on the 12th January. If its available now on the web site, I would think parts are now sorted.
Checked with my dealer today. Still not available on the configuration tool for uk and still no update as to when it will be available. I ordered mine 20th Jan.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Load rating Front 2100 Rear 2380
R, speed apparently 106 MPH
With 2380kgs rear axle then a tyre needs to have a minimum 1190kgs load capability.

lowest (note lowest) rating marked on a tyre will be 115 which is 1215kgs

Higher number is OK but anything lower isn't legal nor covered by insurance.

Wheel rim load capability needs to be significantly over the 1215kgs figure for safety reasons in addition to the legal ones.

Tyre speed rating is usually included with the load rating number eg 115H

Tyres on a GC will usually be C commercial rated denoting that they are designed for heavy vehicles.

Aftermarket wheels and tyres to suit will be expensive as the above criteria have to be met.
Cheap options may well not and great care needs to be taken before purchasing these.

W

Wisp

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hey Guys.
We ordered our 680 on 01DEC20 and were told to expect delivery APR/MAY21. Coincidentally, the VW SHC delay allows us more hope of post-probation stability as Ross has just been recruited by a new company, working from home (or on the road, thankfully)
I turned SIXTY yesterday (I know, I KNOW!) and we’ve decided to hang on for a SEP/OCT delivery.
Still excited though...
About the van, that is - not the sixty bit.
Ian
Hello Ian,
Have you heard anything about 680 with YHC no longer being available from your dealer?
Alan

I

Ian N.

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I ordered a 3.5te GC 600 end October 2020 with lots of iteration to get below weight limit. Forecast delivery was 12th Feb 2021. On Feb 2nd dealer rang to say van was lining up for build but due to emissions reg changes applicable from 1st Jan 2021 factory analysis showed it was now overweight as specified. Diesel heater would not be available till Dec 2020 anyway and even with gas heater would still need to take programmable remote 7VL out of the build to get under new weight limit.

Van conversion parts websites are showing Truma D 6 deliveries expected in June 2020 but who knows when it will be available in VW UK build configurator.

B

Bendwg

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
The uk configuration tool has the diesel heating back on it now so guessing it’s available again. The Facebook forums suggest German orders are now been fulfilled with diesel heating.

I

Ian N.

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The uk configuration tool has the diesel heating back on it now so guessing it’s available again. The Facebook forums suggest German orders are now been fulfilled with diesel heating.
Just been on the UK web configurator and diesel heater is indeed now available to select again and my previously saved configurations that were “unavailable“ presumably due to having diesel heater are now available to view again.

However, I have checked with my dealer today and he has checked with brand support and they confirmed they will not take orders at present with diesel heaters.

B

Bendwg

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Well just had some good news. My GC with diesel heating has just been confirmed as build week 20 build 13. I ordered in at the end of January and was told to expect it September originally.

VW California Club