Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California 680 - Build DELAY!

B

Bobcat01

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Some early reports are appearing on the German forums that the diesel heating system has been dropped from the option list due to a shortage of Truma units.
Some of those that have already been ordered have been advised that the van will be supplied without the diesel Heater
Had a quick look at the UK configurator and it's still there.
I think that would be a showstopper for me.

Dealer has just called to say that 15th February build date for GC680 has been delayed, possibly till July or even later. Apparently VW are delaying the build of 20 UK GC680's because of a shortage of parts. The problem is supposed to be due to a lack of availability of - 'Heating system for water and interior powered by mains electricity or diesel,' PR Code - (YHC). They will go ahead with the February 15 build, if I delete that item from the specification.

Has anybody else heard about this problem?

If that is the case, I will cancel my order. Any other options?

The gas bottle option, German dealers are advising it will be Q3 ie model year 2022 before being available.

I will then wait I think, and try get an even better deal. Just emailed my dealer. If this is the case, I will cancel my order. The ways things are going, could still be in lock down.

Dealer has just called to say that 15th February build date for GC680 has been delayed, possibly till July or even later. Apparently VW are delaying the build of 20 UK GC680's because of a shortage of parts. The problem is supposed to be due to a lack of availability of - 'Heating system for water and interior powered by mains electricity or diesel,' PR Code - (YHC). They will go ahead with the February 15 build, if I delete that item from the specification.

Has anybody else heard about this problem?
I ordered my 680 today and yes told same thing. If I drop the YHC I can have the van May but if I don’t (I haven’t) I can expect the van to be delivered around September.

Some early reports are appearing on the German forums that the diesel heating system has been dropped from the option list due to a shortage of Truma units.
Some of those that have already been ordered have been advised that the van will be supplied without the diesel Heater
Pretty Traumatic!

If that is the case, I will cancel my order. Any other options?
Good luck with that one Paddy, as all other manufacturers will be in the Same situation unless you can find a stoc van.

Gutted really, you buy a product for 80k plus and then you find its not going to be supplied with all the parts you ordered. What ever next? no lighting. 0): Maybe I go for the refillable gas bottles. How long do they last if you use them to heat the camper van when its -20 outside? more research I think.

Paddy
Useful article here on gas consumption in vans in winter

That is a very interesting article which should be compulsory reading for anyone contemplating using gas as their primary source of energy in their van.
I used to work on 2kg/day winter, 1kg/day summer. The moho was 6mx2.2mx2.3m space approx.
If you want to get technical, every appliance has operating consumption rates from which you could calculate the theoretical consumption.
As most of my time was spent in Greece, although I had refillable bottles and there was no shortage of supply points, when I had a long term stop at my favourite location, I had a buy, exchange, then sell back arrangement with the local village store; this was simpler than frequently moving the van for LPG refills.

Thanks for that article and web site excellent. So that's about the same figures I have got from other sources. So, 2kg in winter if you set temperature + 18°C - IF SET + 20°C you will use 3.5kg if you keep your campervan nice and warm all day. So how much will that cost you may ask? based on 45p/litre EU LPG refillable = £1.8/Day low usage or £3.15 high temperature. In UK prices are currently higher + 67p/litre, so this would equate to £2.5 & £4.55. So 1 week in cold ski resort = £3.15x7 = £22
Not so bad, as I am informed a diesel heater will use 4 litres per 24 hours. I worked out about £5/day.
1/4 tank for 5 days. If someone could verify this, it would be appreciated. The above are costs associated when you have purchased a refillable system and installed it in your campervan. About the same cost as the VW diesel option that is currently unavailable. But lets say you just use changeable bottles in France. You need two new bottles (say energaz) and adaptors. These are available in France and sold in super markets. (9kg propane) Deposit is € 5.00 and refill is € 21.50 = £2.1 per kg at current exchange rates.
Conclusion:- Save the £550 from no diesel option and get a refillable fixed system. Approx. same cost. 2 x 11kg refill will last a week in cold temperature's (2 x£10 = £20 in France to keep warm) Drive to a local garage and make sure you have the correct adaptors to refill this fixed system.
Or rent 2x new bottles in France =£38 = 2 x refills (9kg x 2) last for 5 days on high usage if its cold.(on all day) -----SO ITS APPROXIAMTLY 2.3 MORE FOR BOTTLES EXCHANGE OVER REFILL + GARAGE IN FRANCE. Even so, it will take a many stays in the cold to get back the refillable investment back. High usage 3.5kg/day = 24.5 kg/week + £2.1/kg = £51.45 (exchange bottle France)
Garage refill = 90p/kg = £22 per week. (£29.45 difference £650/29 = 22.4 weeks to recoup investment on fitted tank system. Also worth noting that refilling in the UK is currently £1.3/kg = £23.4 for 18kg of gas. So its costing you £14.4 more in France for the Gas in exchange bottles (2x 9kg) that can be exchanged in local supermarkets as required. Return bottles before you hit the UK.
France costs:-
Keep very warm (24.5kg/wk) = Diesel = £35 wk...Refill = £22 week ......9 kg bottles =£51.45 per week
Just night time (14kg/wk) = Diesel = £20... ..Refill = £12.6 week ...9kg bottles =£29.4 per week

So every week you need to drive to a garage and refill or pop to the supermarket and exchange the bottles. In the summer in the UK, I am informed you use about 1kg of gas. Do not need heating, so a
11kg light gas bottle from Homebase costs £42 per refill. That's £3.8/kg gas. Nearly x3 the cost of LPG(£1.3 - 67P litre). So this also explains why people would go for the fitted refill system if using the campervan for 3 months more each year. Mind you, you save £2.5 per kg gas if you decide on refill system. (£2.5 x 7 days = £17.5 savings each week using 1kg each day. 34 weeks in the summer to get back your investment.
So I think 1 will use my existing home base 11kg bottles in the summer here. Lightweight and last for ages when just doing the barbecues. These 2 bottles will last me a month easily full time in van and easy to exchange. Then when I go to the Alps next winter (if we are allowed) 0:) I rent the 2 x 9kg bottles and just exchange them each week at the local supermarket. So maybe its not such a big deal not having the diesel option. If anybody has more details on diesel usage in winter conditions, it would be appreciated.

Hey Guys.
We ordered our 680 on 01DEC20 and were told to expect delivery APR/MAY21. Coincidentally, the VW SHC delay allows us more hope of post-probation stability as Ross has just been recruited by a new company, working from home (or on the road, thankfully)
I turned SIXTY yesterday (I know, I KNOW!) and we’ve decided to hang on for a SEP/OCT delivery.
Still excited though...
About the van, that is - not the sixty bit.
Ian

Hey Guys.
We ordered our 680 on 01DEC20 and were told to expect delivery APR/MAY21. Coincidentally, the VW SHC delay allows us more hope of post-probation stability as Ross has just been recruited by a new company, working from home (or on the road, thankfully)
I turned SIXTY yesterday (I know, I KNOW!) and we’ve decided to hang on for a SEP/OCT delivery.
Still excited though...
About the van, that is - not the sixty bit.
Ian
Congrats on the SIXTY bit! And Ross getting a new job. Hopefully when your GC finally arrives you’ll be able to get straight out and enjoy camping life.

Congrats on the SIXTY bit! And Ross getting a new job. Hopefully when your GC finally arrives you’ll be able to get straight out and enjoy camping life.
Thanks, Alison! I even got a Lego®️ MotorHome!!

2E9B6BFB-729D-4361-B840-305DD70FD07E.jpeg

Ordered my 680 on the 10th January with diesel heater. No firm delivery date, but I was told May 2021 latest 1st week in June. So no update on missing items from my configuration. Anybody else got any updates on the diesel heater option?

Ordered my 680 on the 10th January with diesel heater. No firm delivery date, but I was told May 2021 latest 1st week in June. So no update on missing items from my configuration. Anybody else got any updates on the diesel heater option?
Latest info I have was given by David at Drive the Deal. From an initial delivery date (given on 01DEC20) of APR/MAY21 we can now expect SEP21.
HTH
Ian

We have a Whale LPG water heater running off our underslung LPG tank. Very efficient, heats quickly, enough for a quick shower the LPG also runs our cabin heater. Very happy all round. The water heater can be fitted once you have the van.

An update on our order, we ordered mid November and added the diesel heater as an option, contacted today by dealer and told our van now at UK port and would be in dealership in 3 to 10 days And ready for delivery, from reading these posts looks like we caught lucky on our order.

An update on our order, we ordered mid November and added the diesel heater as an option, contacted today by dealer and told our van now at UK port and would be in dealership in 3 to 10 days And ready for delivery, from reading these posts looks like we caught lucky on our order.
Great news and happy days Mark. You better start ordering your bits and bobs.

Will

Yes certainly will have to get a move on now,

Great news Mark. Hopefully I get good news soon. Still waiting for build date. Been reviewing battery technology for running a microwave. Will keep you posted on adding an extra battery.

Hi Will, one more box ticked today, looked at lots of insurers and went with your recommendation on LV Motorhome cover. Good comprehensive cover no tracker required and at £470 cheaper than the next best price I found by over £200.
thank you for your advice.

next item on my list is a steering wheel lock if any one has a good recommendation.

Hi Will, one more box ticked today, looked at lots of insurers and went with your recommendation on LV Motorhome cover. Good comprehensive cover no tracker required and at £470 cheaper than the next best price I found by over £200.

next item on my list is a steering wheel lock if any one has a good recommendation.
Morning Mark,

Well on the savings you can buy more gadgets.

Can’t remember did you go for the WiFi option. If nots there are other options, worth having over and above using your phone if your able to get a signal.

Have you purchased a thermal screen cover.

The GC internal screen blind is crap.

Steering wheel lock

Back