Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California roof bed

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Is there anyone who owners a 4 berth Grand 600 who could comment on the size of the roof bed?
My local dealer has no stock to show me, a little concerned that its size is only suitable for small children.
Would it accommodate teenagers?
Our kids are 13 and 11yrs and it worries me they may out grow it within a couple of years.

Is there anyone who owners a 4 berth Grand 600 who could comment on the size of the roof bed?
My local dealer has no stock to show me, a little concerned that its size is only suitable for small children.
Would it accommodate teenagers?
Our kids are 13 and 11yrs and it worries me they may out grow it within a couple of years.
Optional over-cab bed (1.60m–1.90m x 1.22m) with larger skylight (0.70m x 0.85m), aluminium ladder and two reading lights in the Grand California 600. Please click here for full details.
It can hold up to 150kg of weight and ample space for two children. The slatted base can be pulled out at the touch of a button and
the optional over-cab bed includes a larger skylight with mosquito nets and blinds.

Look at the California Chris videos on YouTube. It doesn’t look v big!

We have the roof bed and a three year old who refuses to sleep up there with her sister 7 year old. Two kids would need to get on to last the night... when they are older it will be a squeeze. The bed is
an ok size but the head room is limiting.
We are looking for a bed to go across the front seats. Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

The bed is ok for kids. My 13 and 9y old girls shared the bed for a week and were happy. No complaints. Walking around inside is ofc impaired but just mind your head when going back inside. The ladder takes up a lot of space when left attached.

The only reason I didn't buy one other than the fact I never actually got a quote back from the dealer.
Purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon S with poptop.
Hi
We have been looking at both the Hymer Grand Canyon S and the Grand California 600, just not sure which to go. I like 600 however prefer the interior in the Hymer and the pop top, like the fact you get the space without compromising the look of the van. How do you find Hymer ? Is the pop top electric ? did you go for 4x4 and V6? Did you find it was more expensive than VW?
I have received a quote from VW no problem however Hymer have been a nightmare, been chasing the salesman for weeks with no response he also mentioned a 12 month waiting list!!! which dealer did you purchase it from ?
any feedback would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
We are looking for a bed to go across the front seats. Anyone any ideas? Thanks.
The Cabbunk could be an option -there was a lot of interest at NEC show When we went last
hope this helps

The only reason I didn't buy one other than the fact I never actually got a quote back from the dealer.
Purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon S with poptop.
We've done exactly the same and for exactly the same reasons.

Hi
We have been looking at both the Hymer Grand Canyon S and the Grand California 600, just not sure which to go. I like 600 however prefer the interior in the Hymer and the pop top, like the fact you get the space without compromising the look of the van. How do you find Hymer ? Is the pop top electric ? did you go for 4x4 and V6? Did you find it was more expensive than VW?
I have received a quote from VW no problem however Hymer have been a nightmare, been chasing the salesman for weeks with no response he also mentioned a 12 month waiting list!!! which dealer did you purchase it from ?
any feedback would be appreciated
I tried to see if I could private message you but don't think there is that function here is there? We struggled to find one and just missed out on 4wd. Put a deposit on the one we are picking up next week (hopefully) just after lock down after realising no hope of jobs for a while. (I'm a fit-liker doon sooth!) We've spent circa £80k on ours. Gulp.

Hi Steve
We purchased our Hymer Grand Canyon S a few weeks ago.
Much like you the Hymer buying experience was underwhelming to say the least.
We purchased a 2wd with a number of additions.
With two kids the pop top is great, due to its design all bedding and even the stair ladder can be left in place in the roof.
We are camping now, so easy just stock up the 90l fridge/freezer and off you go, no faff with packing or setting up at the other end.
For us the camping experience is far better.
Driveability is very pleasant, however dont expect the silky smooth drive of the 150 dsg. It feels more van like compared to the car like feel of the Transporter.(we have the upgraded 163 bhp).
It is however very comfortable, great seats and the 10.25 information system is brilliant.
Rear bed is much more comfortable than the VW, shower/ toilet works well.
All interior fittings are great quality, with one exception, the sink tap feels a little low rent.
We had solar fitted to the roof, heating is diesel, with the gas supplying the cooker only.
We love it and can't wait to explore far and wide when good times return.
Stay safe everyone.

@Wondering Star, excuse me for jumping in but interesting to read. Have been to view ours in garage and waiting for Gaslow, alarm, bike rack and solar to be fitted and hopefully collecting next week. We had no idea where the ladder to the pop up went so you've answered that now :) Shower room looks v small. Is it necessary to use the shower curtain...I have imagines of it sticking to me? Did you get flexible or solid solar panel fitted?
When you say bedding can be left in pop up does that include duvets? That would be good.

Yes bedding and ladder can be left up top(with care if leaving ladder as well).
Unlike the Cali the poptop is actually fitted on to the original Sprinter roof, hence no weight limit and increased space when closed.
Not used the bathroom shower as yet but have showered outside.
The tap/shower is a retractable type it can be feed through the window and attached to the van with supplied attachment to shower outside.
If showering inside there may be some issues with the curtain but there's always compromises. 20200912_184827.jpg
The flip down sink, criticised by some works really well and leaves space when folded up.
It certainly packs a lot into a small van but it works well.
Solar was fitted by dealer, bonded x2 100w panels(victron) charges leisure and engine batteries.
Happy to answer any questions

What a beautiful scene. You are hardy showering outside in Sept! Maybe you are in mainland Europe just now?

No, not in Europe a very rural, basic campsite in Northamptonshire.
Perfect for wild ish camping and isolation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ment to add, we eventually purchased from Campersales in Burgess Hill , tried other dealers without much luck, some never even supplied a quote or returned calls for days.
Campersales were very good and respected our social distancing requirements.
Handover was excellent by Rob, the whole process was painless and straightforward.
Thought I should give them a mention.

@Wondering Star ...sounds wonderful. I was keeping my eye on Campersales stock online incase our van didn't turn up. Really nice colour, is it dark grey?

If you are just short under 6 foot 7 or taller, there is no way you will fit in either of the beds of the GC.

Van is Tenorite grey, no alloys prefer the rugged look!
Yes Campersales website is excellent they also have a good selection of Van's in the showroom.
What spec did you order, or did you buy from stock?

@Wondering Star Re your pop up, what do you mean re no weight limit? I think our garage is only putting on 100w solar panel. It's a flexible one too.

On a Cali the bed base is a slated frame covered by a fabric board which forms the roof lining, weight limit I believe is 150kg. This is a slimline design to retain the Transporters original roof lines.
On the Hymer the poptop is actually added on to the roof of the original van , hence the high roof. If you look at the picture of mine the increase height from the awning is the poptop cassette, this depth is the reason why you can store bedding etc.
Because it fits into the Sprinter roof, its incredibly strong, hence no weight limit.
The access cutout is the only alteration.
Signing off, distant calls of 'is my coffee ready'.

Ment to add, we eventually purchased from Campersales in Burgess Hill , tried other dealers without much luck, some never even supplied a quote or returned calls for days.
Campersales were very good and respected our social distancing requirements.
Handover was excellent by Rob, the whole process was painless and straightforward.
Thought I should give them a mention.

We are considering the Grand Canyon as our next Purchase. Did you go for the autobox / 4x4 options - interested to hear how it drives in the real world.

Have found Rob very helpful in the past when we needed some advice with our past T4 and current Beach.

Hi
We have a 163bhp 2wd 7 speed auto
Options
Chassis pack, wanted led headlamps
(Good but not as bright as Cali's)
Style pack, leather trim with driver/passenger seat upgrade.
Heated front windscreen, side door assist, 10.25MBUX with additional reverse camera very good indeed, a voice activated system actually works.
2x lesuire batteries with 2x 100w solar, external gas connection, towbar, long range fuel tank, diesel powered heating, poptop, etc.
The drive is very different after all its 6m long and 2.6m high.
More susceptible to side winds, slightly noisier and not as agile, however this not a criticism it just takes a little time to adjust. It has a character of it's own, we have no regrets whatsoever.

If you are just short under 6 foot 7 or taller, there is no way you will fit in either of the beds of the GC.
How many people do you know at 6.7” !!!

Back