Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand or not?

Great news you have your Sven Hedin. Mine should be here in the spring, fingers crossed.

I have gone back to Campersales for my 2nd Sven Hedin as the service is first rate.

@WestySvenHedin brilliant, thank you. That is a smart looking van!

Yes I suspected that re discount, but thought I'd ask given how huge the discounts are on the Grand California at the moment.

Impressive MPG on the drive home, very good. I'm amazed they honoured the price, great service.

Would be interested to hear what you ordered on your spec, did you go for things like Solar, winter package, big skylight, comfort pack, extending table etc?
We went with solar panel, lighting pack (which is very cool!), comfort pack, extending table and larger front roof light. We didn’t both with the winter pack, as the under floor heating didn’t seem necessary as we have nice carpets, and in fact we seem to have a heated grey water tank fitted which I wasn’t expecting without the winter pack (Rob at Campersales was a bit surprised we got this too, and wondered if it’s now standard).
Another tip that’s worth looking at is an Arlo cctv security camera, which links to my phone and is a great security device.

We went with solar panel, lighting pack (which is very cool!), comfort pack, extending table and larger front roof light. We didn’t both with the winter pack, as the under floor heating didn’t seem necessary as we have nice carpets, and in fact we seem to have a heated grey water tank fitted which I wasn’t expecting without the winter pack (Rob at Campersales was a bit surprised we got this too, and wondered if it’s now standard).
Another tip that’s worth looking at is an Arlo cctv security camera, which links to my phone and is a great security device.

That's brill, thank you. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the solar as we weren't thinking about it but recently after reading how much power larger vans/heating systems/fridges seem to take compared to the Cali, I think it might be a good idea too.

The underfloor heating is one of the biggest Westy selling points for us! We're always cold people and very much like the sound of all of the heating stuff they fit in the Columbus and Sven vans.

Hi @CaliforniaTime , I’m really looking forward to your report on the Sven - my husband and I ambushed you by accident (sorry :) thanks for the sticker!) at the Motohome show whilst we all descended on the Sven. We love our Cali, it’s a swiss army knife but really would like a dedicated toilet space, so staring to consider what might be next. Sarah’s comment about the great amount of floorspace in the Cali really has made us think hard.
I’ve narrowed it down to the Sven, but I’m not keen on sleeping transversly and having to hurdle a sleeping partner and the RP Rebel with with slide out shower - I love the rear U-lounge layout, but there’s no dedicated bed or good storage, or the Adria Twin SGX (but I’d rather not have a Fiat) Head room for a 6ft+ is a big consideration and some of the Hymers were a bit tight. So difficult!! Will be watching your research with interest!.

Hi @CaliforniaTime , I’m really looking forward to your report on the Sven - my husband and I ambushed you by accident (sorry :) thanks for the sticker!) at the Motohome show whilst we all descended on the Sven. We love our Cali, it’s a swiss army knife but really would like a dedicated toilet space, so staring to consider what might be next. Sarah’s comment about the great amount of floorspace in the Cali really has made us think hard.
I’ve narrowed it down to the Sven, but I’m not keen on sleeping transversly and having to hurdle a sleeping partner and the RP Rebel with with slide out shower - I love the rear U-lounge layout, but there’s no dedicated bed or good storage, or the Adria Twin SGX (but I’d rather not have a Fiat) Head room for a 6ft+ is a big consideration and some of the Hymers were a bit tight. So difficult!! Will be watching your research with interest!.
Hello! It's actually more the fixed bed and shower for us than the toilet particularly. We don't mind the thought of a transverse bed at all and the slide/pop out on the Sven is really clever. The RP does look lovely but is VERY expensive especially if you have the slide out shower on it, and yes, the Adria looks lovely when you see it at a show etc, but I've heard of a few horror stories from some who have ordered them and Fiat have not honoured what had been ordered in the base van.

The Hymer offerings on the Sprinter just again look REALLY expensive when compared to the Sven. Have you looked at the Knaus BoxDrive? It's a 6.8m MAN base van.

Hello! It's actually more the fixed bed and shower for us than the toilet particularly. We don't mind the thought of a transverse bed at all and the slide/pop out on the Sven is really clever. The RP does look lovely but is VERY expensive especially if you have the slide out shower on it, and yes, the Adria looks lovely when you see it at a show etc, but I've heard of a few horror stories from some who have ordered them and Fiat have not honoured what had been ordered in the base van.

The Hymer offerings on the Sprinter just again look REALLY expensive when compared to the Sven. Have you looked at the Knaus BoxDrive? It's a 6.8m MAN base van.
The Sven is my favourite at the moment, lots of garage space, no LPG and good solid build quality with the underfloor heating as a bonus. Yes, we are aware of the Adria problems, I joined the FB group so I could understand some of the issues. I love the layouts (I was wrong its the new Twin 600 SPX we liked) but the Fiat/Adria build quality puts me off. The RP is very expensive so likely off the list, but having a UK build is appealing if our budget could stretch. The Knaus interiors look nice but we only glanced at them. We have a short driveway so really limited to a 6m van. Happy hunting, looking forward to your updates. In the meantime, we do still love our Cali so it will be a long while before we change.

Plenty of interesting van's out there, unfortunately vehicles such as Globetraveller not supported in Uk.
However it was announced after the NEC six dealers are to be appointed.
Probably the best bed arrangement in a small van if you are not flexible enough for transverse.
Polish made, interesting design and fully winterised.
Worth a look.

Happy hunting, looking forward to your updates. In the meantime, we do still love our Cali so it will be a long while before we change.
Yep, we're the same, but that said with the Sven being on an approx 18 month wait from order it's hard to know when to actually get something ordered!! Sooner rather than later probably!

Finally taken delivery of our long-awaited Sven Hedin. It’s been 18 months but we’ll worth the wait - a fabulous camper, very well thought out. Great service from Campersales too.
Attached is the owner manual - I know I’d have been interested to see this while waiting but couldn’t get my hands on one before. I’ve made an e-copy so I don’t lose mine and thought it might be of interest.
This is so appreciated, mine should be showing up in the next few weeks and this is a great help.

Feels like there might be a need for a Sven section on this forum!! Some might argue it is a more natural successor to the Cali than the Cali Grand!
There is the “Westfalia Mobil Owners Register” on Facebook - a group of Westfalia van owners, it’s not Sven-specific, but some useful things, photos and support. Worth a look

I will take delivery of my new Sven Hedin shortly

The dealer has taken delivery of a Sven Hedin that was ordered and the customer no longer wants. Identical spec and colour to the one I have in order, so am taking the one that has been delivered.

They all need to take lessons from vw on how to do a toilet cassette access hatch.
The last 3 photos show a £2.50 basic caravan hatch.
Compare that with the bespoke panel connected to the central locking of the GC VW don’t get everything 100 right but getting the external look of the van right is one area they excel.

They all need to take lessons from vw on how to do a toilet cassette access hatch.
The last 3 photos show a £2.50 basic caravan hatch.
Compare that with the bespoke panel connected to the central locking of the GC VW don’t get everything 100 right but getting the external look of the van right is one area they excel.

You make a valid point, but it’s something I could live with. Less so are the side bulges. I know why they’ve done it, but ascetically I’m not a fan.

Having a nice flush fitting toilet hatch has never been a deal breaker for me, I can honestly say I've never even noticed.
I can alao assure any possible Hymer owners they don't sell anything for £2.50.
Once you own a Hymer your days of being flushed with money are over

The key decision for me was the backing of VW , although most of us have had problems they all get fixed , mine was no exception
Thes are complicated vehicles and I am sure there are excellent other models but mine was brought on Chelmsford and fixed locally in Coventry.
I can be corrected but not sure there is any other make that van offer full European cover .
Currently everything is working , diesel heating is amazing and would not be without it.We chose the 600 over the 680 as the shorter vehicle made a significant differance with regard to parking and also the roof hight gave a perception of space.

Just voted campervan of the year 2023.
Good News Globetraveller are setting up UK dealer network with vans available from Sept2023.
I also understand they are presently negotiating with VW and MAN to supply base vehicles.

I'm told that they will be attending the NEC show in February.
I'm really interested and plan to check it out.
ES Hartley at Ellesmere Port have a vehicle to view.

Back