Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand or not?

Nice looking van, but could really do with being offered on a VW / MAN platform too as they're going high end with it and the Ducato will put some people off for sure. It would give Knaus and VW some competition in the high roof (c.3m tall) shortish van category. Upper bed mechanism looks clever and good to see the rear bed fill in piece is integrated too.

I think it's the first time I've seen the bench seat have seats that can move apart from each other too, that is clever. Obviously the sliding forward/reclining thing the Westfalias do (Sven etc). Interesting stuff.

Was told yesterday the Globetraveller are in negotiations to supply vehicle on VW or MAN platform.
Having said that even though I drive a 6m Merc van and in some ways prefer VW/ MAN/Merc the Fiat's trump card is size at 6.4M.
For me I would like the extra space of the Fiat, a VW or similar at 7M would be oversized for my needs.

Last edited:
Good morning CaliforniaTime

Yes, it was a 2020 Sven on the Man TGE chassis.

1) The heating system is one of the reasons I have gone for the Sven Hedin again. It is far superior to all of the systems I have had before. I had the second battery and 200w of solar power. The solar kept the batteries topped up, however the weather was good and the heating was rarely used, but the hot water was always on.

2) I don’t recall there being an ‘auto dump’ frost protection system, nor did I have any issues, although there weren’t many cold nights. I have had issues with the Truma system in other vans, it is annoying.

3) I didn’t have the underfloor heating.

4) I had the 177bhp DSG. I covered approximately 7k miles in it whilst I owned it. General running around was no more than 25mpg. On longer journeys it would do 30mpg.

5) Design flaws:

- The bathroom door would catch on the work top - fixed with a rubber stop
- Needed to add some small rubber stops on other furniture e.g. the bed step to protect them
- The fridge was problematic initially, the compressor etc. is remotely mounted under the bed. This was fine once the problem was identified and fixed.
- You can leave the bed made up, but the pop out means you have to keep sorting the bottom sheet out
- No awning light option - easy to sort out
- The mixer taps are plastic, I assume for weight saving, however, the van fully laden with full tanks was only around 3400kg
- The bathroom door catch was a clever magnetic catch, never worked properly, I see Westfalia have changed the design.
- The rear door handle has a strap fitted so that the handle can be reached in an emergency, the strap needs to be perfectly positioned or it stops the top of the door latching.

Mostly niggles that were/are easy to fix.
Hi @Svenhedintony, did you find an owning light solution? Thanks

Hi @Svenhedintony, did you find an owning light solution? Thanks
Billylou

I have taken delivery of a new Sven Hedin and Westfalia have made some changes, which include an awning light as standard. The light also acts as a drip rail to stop water dripping on when the side door is opened. I haven’t had to fix this!

Sorry @Svenhedintony but I’ve just read your response again and noticed you didn’t say anything about 12v sockets, does that mean there aren’t any? Apologies for all the questions. Thanks

Sorry @Svenhedintony but I’ve just read your response again and noticed you didn’t say anything about 12v sockets, does that mean there aren’t any? Apologies for all the questions. Thanks
Hi

There are no 12v sockets in the habitation area, but there are some in the cab area.

Globetraveller have launch a new MAN 4x4 called the Falcon

Not sure about that layout.
Accessing the toilet with the bed made is a bit of a hassle.
With a bigger van do most people want a fixed bed?
On the plus point, lots of day-time hangout space.

It’s interesting…

Just collected my Knaus Boxdrive 600XL, which is the equivalent of the GC600, so far very impressed with everything about it.

Build quality is excellent, the main factors for me over the GC were the less clinical interior and the less challenging appearance, they have made a better job of hiding its bulk in my opinion.

Well worth a look if you are not sure about the GC.

IMG_0690.jpeg

The Knaus Boxdrive 600 looks really good.

I just watched a few YouTube videos about it. It seems that there are a few things better designed as in the GC.

I wish you always free roads, cheap diesel and save traveling.

Regards,
Eberhard

Just collected my Knaus Boxdrive 600XL, which is the equivalent of the GC600, so far very impressed with everything about it.

Build quality is excellent, the main factors for me over the GC were the less clinical interior and the less challenging appearance, they have made a better job of hiding its bulk in my opinion.

Well worth a look if you are not sure about the GC.

View attachment 106092
Did you opt for the sliding fly screen in the sliding door area? If so is there a makers name anywhere on it please?

PS take care that you don't ground that step!

Did you opt for the sliding fly screen in the sliding door area? If so is there a makers name anywhere on it please?

PS take care that you don't ground that step!
Yes I do I have the sliding screen and there is no branding on it at all, looks to me to be made up from various standard profiles and sections.

Yes I do I have the sliding screen and there is no branding on it at all, looks to me to be made up from various standard profiles and sections.
Thanks, I believe that they are made by Horrex, I'm looking for a supplier of one for a left sliding door on a MAN TGE. However as far as I have been able to discover the price is horrendous, they are over £700 for a T6!

Its a £460 option on the Boxdrive although mine came in a package of optional extras so I didn't specifically opt for it.

Came as standard on my Hymer, to be honest it's not been used in the 2 1/2 years I've owned the van.

It looks like the standard fit in the GC and use it all the time to keep fly’s and mosquitoes out

Just had a price for the sliding door screen for the TGE and asked my converter to order the Horrex one. Time will tell if it fits and works well!

Well we've finally got off the fence and sorted out our next van and..... like a lot of others we've ordered a Sven Hedin !

Looking round at the natural next van from the Cali ( for two people) it seems like a go-to choice, and the build quality, innovative features and general all round feel good factor about it have led us to this conclusion.

Have ordered from Wandahome and should get it in October. Flannel Grey, as it's one of the Limited Edition models, which has saved quite a bit of time agonising over the 'should we / shouldn't we' order some of the options etc. It is what it is, take it or leave it!

Just going to be a VERY long summer without a van now...

Well we've finally got off the fence and sorted out our next van and..... like a lot of others we've ordered a Sven Hedin !

Looking round at the natural next van from the Cali ( for two people) it seems like a go-to choice, and the build quality, innovative features and general all round feel good factor about it have led us to this conclusion.

Have ordered from Wandahome and should get it in October. Flannel Grey, as it's one of the Limited Edition models, which has saved quite a bit of time agonising over the 'should we / shouldn't we' order some of the options etc. It is what it is, take it or leave it!

That colour looks great on the SH. It would be my clear choice over that black. Looking forward to your full review when it finally shows up in the autumn.

I think the Sven wins hands down over GC mainly due to the rear garage, being able to fit two e-bikes in sideways on Sven is a massive selling point.
Only annoying thing is MAN base van is cheaper than the crafter shame when they had to switch the price never lowered (but guess that’s business).
Colour looks great, but how did they come up with that name to describe that?!

I think the Sven wins hands down over GC mainly due to the rear garage, being able to fit two e-bikes in sideways on Sven is a massive selling point.
Only annoying thing is MAN base van is cheaper than the crafter shame when they had to switch the price never lowered (but guess that’s business).
Colour looks great, but how did they come up with that name to describe that?!

We've wondered the same about the colour name, hence why Sarah has nicknamed it Seashore Blue !

At least with the MAN base van they have put a decent spec on it and it really is the same as a Crafter, minus the obvious branding. One other advantage we've heard about with MAN is their 24 hour service workshops (being a truck company) and that their warranty, repair and service is a lot more focussed and snappy when you need it.

We've wondered the same about the colour name, hence why Sarah has nicknamed it Seashore Blue !

At least with the MAN base van they have put a decent spec on it and it really is the same as a Crafter, minus the obvious branding. One other advantage we've heard about with MAN is their 24 hour service workshops (being a truck company) and that their warranty, repair and service is a lot more focussed and snappy when you need it.
What warranty are MAN giving you on German import van?
As VW only gave 2yrs on my joker.
If I didn’t need 4m with diff then would love a Sven, nice choice:thumb

Back