Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone got a "Dock" camping kitchen?

Yes, unfortunately once I have a germ of an idea there's usually only one outcome. It has to be followed up. Mind you there was a lot of humming and harring beforehand, hence the delay.
Looks like an awesome bit of kit but what was the total cost with shipping to the UK. And what's the lead time?

Looks like an awesome bit of kit but what was the total cost with shipping to the UK. And what's the lead time?
It cost €866 (£800) including post, packing and conversion. Hans has just made four Model 1s. I have ordered one so he may have others available. They are a very small business with tight margins so whilst I did ask about discount if several were ordered, he said that unfortunately it just wasn't possible. I will post a comprehensive review in due course.

Last edited:
Does look good but could be very rattly, too much metal on metal inside, mind you that’s the least of your noise, vibration and harshness worries if you own a Defender...

Ok, I've just taken a deep breath and ordered one. Watch this space.
Awesome, think you’ll love it. We still fancy one so will be very interested in your review.

Looking forward to hearing your review. Also how the rest of your storage will work - we are planning on copying your existing setup as I cannot see any better way of dong it

Looking forward to hearing your review. Also how the rest of your storage will work - we are planning on copying your existing setup as I cannot see any better way of dong it

Hello Paul,
The current boot storage will have to be altered. Having played about with various stowage plans before finally ordering, I have found that this system will work best.
20200610_200302.jpg
I intend to remove three existing Euro boxes (previously referred to as kitchen, electrical, and washing up) leaving this configuration. The setup in this photo does have one error though. The deeper of the two larger boxes will be on top. The reason is to give easy access to the gas cylinder. In that respect I will need to change from using a Campingaz 907 cylinder which is too tall, to the dumpier 904 version. The smallest box will become the electrical box containing a 25m hook up cable and the various adaptors. The majority of the stuff previously contained in the "kitchen" box will be relocated to within the Dock kitchen. There will still be a little space in the gas bottle box so if there is anything left over it could go in there. The lower of the two larger boxes (upper in this photo) will become the washing up box plus. In essence I am just rationalising and getting rid of empty space as the capacity I will be losing was there to house groceries and provisions. Since most of it ends up in the fridge and Mrs B doesn't feel comfortable unless the passenger compartment is full up with assorted bags of "essentials" :headbang, that loss of space is no real issue.

The new Dock kitchen will involve an adjustment to our current stowage and a further rationalisation of what we actually need to have in the van. There is still scope for a mild cull on that front. Hopefully the new arrangement will be both more practical and more refined.

I do have some reservations though. Firstly, as I haven't been able to see one close up this purchase is an expensive leap of faith. Also, as Tomato has mentioned, it could rattle especially when loaded with kitchen stuff. If it does I will have to modify it as rattles aren't an option.

Finally, I will have to source a suitable two burner camping stove. We have always used a single burner to great effect however since the Dock has a compartment suitable for a twin burner stove it would be rude not to fill it.
I have looked at the Partner 18" twin burner stove (see photo) but they are almost impossible to get at present. The other alternative is the Coleman 424 however I'm not to keen on that. Like the Dock I'm looking for something well made, functional and bomb proof. Most, if not all of the camping stoves that I've seen on the British market appear to be very light weight and built down to a cost. It's quality that I'm primarily after!

20200708_092104.jpg

Watch this space.

Last edited:
I wish you hadn't shown me the Partner stove, I want one of those now :) That will have to wait until our visit to family in the USA is rearranged for next year though, will fit nicely in a suitcase!

I have used a Coleman for years, they are very good at quickly boiling a kettle. The problems with them for me are the fuel and that the 2nd hob is tapped off the first hob. So it has a much lower output, and you end up swapping saucepans. They work well in winter compared to a butane stove

I wish you hadn't shown me the Partner stove, I want one of those now :) That will have to wait until our visit to family in the USA is rearranged for next year though, will fit nicely in a suitcase!

I have used a Coleman for years, they are very good at quickly boiling a kettle. The problems with them for me are the fuel and that the 2nd hob is tapped off the first hob. So it has a much lower output, and you end up swapping saucepans. They work well in winter compared to a butane stove
Interesting.

Regarding the Partner stove, they were available via Amazon UK but are currently not available, probably due to covid effecting production in the US. There is a Swiss company that possibly could supply them but if they can, the price would probably stratospheric. Apparently Dock are working on a prototype stove which Hans has told me will be similar in appearance to the Partner 18" but better made and cheaper. However it is unlikely to be available until early next year.

Interesting.

Regarding the Partner stove, they were available via Amazon UK but are currently not available, probably due to covid effecting production in the US. There is a Swiss company that possibly could supply them but if they can, the price would probably stratospheric. Apparently Dock are working on a prototype stove which Hans has told me will be similar in appearance to the Partner 18" but better made and cheaper. However it is unlikely to be available until early next year.
We have recently upgraded to a Cadac 2-Cook pro deluxe (pro = stainless steel burner base, and deluxe = grill plates)

202p1-20_2-cook_2_pro_deluxe_9_.jpg

It appears well made but has no side wind shields, but as we set up our kitchen area in the awning, not a problem.

We have recently upgraded to a Cadac 2-Cook pro deluxe (pro = stainless steel burner base, and deluxe = grill plates)

202p1-20_2-cook_2_pro_deluxe_9_.jpg

It appears well made but has no side wind shields, but as we set up our kitchen area in the awning, not a problem.
Hi Tom,
I've looked at that stove and like it. It's a good stove with several nice features. Unfortunately, according to it's quoted external measurements it would be slightly too long to fit inside the Dock stove storage compartment. However, I intent to physically try one in it when the Dock arrives. As you know, the lack of wind protection can also be an issue at times. Since we almost always cook outside that is something I like to address with any new purchase.

Ok, I've just taken a deep breath and ordered one. Watch this space.

Well done Boris I'm looking forward to your review and I must admit I feel excited for you I'm still in negotiations with management hopefully won't be too long before I break the deadlock :thumb

Well done Boris I'm looking forward to your review and I must admit I feel excited for you I'm still in negotiations with management hopefully won't be too long before I break the deadlock :thumb
I'm very lucky in that my wife rarely objects to high value purchases. That's because prior to laying the issue before the board I've usually done my homework and assembled all the pros and cons for her perusal. If there wasn't a good case then I wouldn't have broached the subject in the first place.

It's either that or she doesn't give a fig.

Last edited:
In case The Board wouldn't have approved the investment, this could have been the Lada alternative, for a Lada price of 200 euro. With a sink, that is. And DIY.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Hello Marc,
Wow. That's what I love about this forum. The variety and ingenuity of people's different camp kitchen solutions are amazing. Great photos btw.

If I wasn't up to my eyes in more pressing house related DIY projects, I would have relished a project like that. Unfortunately, it's all too easy to become distracted by a tempting little project that which jumps the queue. I must stay focussed on my current list of long overdue projects. Hence my buying ready made. :thumb

Hello Marc,
Wow. That's what I love about this forum. The variety and ingenuity of people's different camp kitchen solutions are amazing. Great photos btw.

If I wasn't up to my eyes in more pressing house related DIY projects, I would have relished a project like that. Unfortunately, it's all too easy to become distracted by a tempting little project that which jumps the queue. I must stay focussed on my current list of long overdue projects. Hence my buying ready made. :thumb

Looking forward to the video review with your Management using the utensils.

btw, my Board thinks this cooking solution might be a rather rattling addition to the Cali.

Marc.

Wow, the Dutch Rishi Sunak must love you Borris!

Interesting design, look forward to seeing your review

Looking forward to the video review with your Management using the utensils.

btw, my Board thinks this cooking solution might be a rather rattling addition to the Cali.

Marc.
We shall see.

This company sells the Partner in Europe (Stockist) . Says 4week lead time. They do some nice stuff !

Partner link

Wow, the Dutch Rishi Sunak must love you Borris!

Interesting design, look forward to seeing your review
Yes it's expensive, but so are all these hand made kitchen pod products.

On the Dock website if you look at the gallery photos it look likes someone is using a Primus Tupike stove. Length of which is 475mm.

This company sells the Partner in Europe (Stockist) . Says 4week lead time. They do some nice stuff !

Partner link
Thanks Alform,
Actually I have already spoken to them. They haven't got the 18" twin burner in stock at present. Covid has caused supply issues. Anyway I'm not feeling the love at that price. Also their versions use the larger (5 - 10kgs) LPG cylinders. They don't usually run from Campingaz cylinders. However their guy Franz has said he cannot see why it wouldn't be possible and is going to do a test to see if it will be OK.

The Dock guy has a similar stove in the design stage and he assures me it will be considerably cheaper but better made. I may make do until his version appears before deciding. We're in no hurry.

Last edited:
We are firm believers in ‘you get what you pay for’ aka ‘buy cheap buy twice’.
Our preference is for quality purchases for which we expect to pay a higher price, we suspect you are out of the same mould Borris.

Hello Paul,
The current boot storage will have to be altered. Having played about with various stowage plans before finally ordering, I have found that this system will work best.
View attachment 62453
I intend to remove three existing Euro boxes (previously referred to as kitchen, electrical, and washing up) leaving this configuration. The setup in this photo does have one error though. The deeper of the two larger boxes will be on top. The reason is to give easy access to the gas cylinder. In that respect I will need to change from using a Campingaz 907 cylinder which is too tall, to the dumpier 904 version. The smallest box will become the electrical box containing a 25m hook up cable and the various adaptors. The majority of the stuff previously contained in the "kitchen" box will be relocated to within the Dock kitchen. There will still be a little space in the gas bottle box so if there is anything left over it could go in there. The lower of the two larger boxes (upper in this photo) will become the washing up box plus. In essence I am just rationalising and getting rid of empty space as the capacity I will be losing was there to house groceries and provisions. Since most of it ends up in the fridge and Mrs B doesn't feel comfortable unless the passenger compartment is full up with assorted bags of "essentials" :headbang, that loss of space is no real issue.

The new Dock kitchen will involve an adjustment to our current stowage and a further rationalisation of what we actually need to have in the van. There is still scope for a mild cull on that front. Hopefully the new arrangement will be both more practical and more refined.

I do have some reservations though. Firstly, as I haven't been able to see one close up this purchase is an expensive leap of faith. Also, as Tomato has mentioned, it could rattle especially when loaded with kitchen stuff. If it does I will have to modify it as rattles aren't an option.

Finally, I will have to source a suitable two burner camping stove. We have always used a single burner to great effect however since the Dock has a compartment suitable for a twin burner stove it would be rude not to fill it.
I have looked at the Partner 18" twin burner stove (see photo) but they are almost impossible to get at present. The other alternative is the Coleman 424 however I'm not to keen on that. Like the Dock I'm looking for something well made, functional and bomb proof. Most, if not all of the camping stoves that I've seen on the British market appear to be very light weight and built down to a cost. It's quality that I'm primarily after!

View attachment 62455

Watch this space.

Have a look at the Primus Tupike. I am very happy with both its form and function

Have a look at the Primus Tupike. I am very happy with both its form and function
It's on offer at Cotswold Outdoors for £180. Unfortunately if an item is on offer you can't use the club's discount code.

Back