Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone got a "Dock" camping kitchen?

Refilling cylinders is one solution if not a rather dodgy one. It's probably common practice in some countries though.

Had you thought of using other types of energy?

We tried a 12v kettle.

We have an electric job with an Italian plug.

An ideal solution IMO would be a diesel outlet on the van and a modern diesel stove with 12v glow plug to get it started.

I suppose you could siphon or pump it out of the tank but that would be a very messy solution.

Refilling cylinders is one solution if not a rather dodgy one. It's probably common practice in some countries though.

Had you thought of using other types of energy?
We’ve got a Cobb stove which always goes in the van with us and uses charcoal. After reading this thread about purchasing gas I’m very glad we use the Cobb! Mind you we also only really travel around the UK so probably wouldn’t have the same issues. We’ve also got a little bio lite stove that uses wood, but that is very difficult to regulate.

Well playmates it's arrived!

It was very well packed:

20200710_181753.jpg

First impressions:
It is indeed a very well made item. It definitely has a quality feel to it with the finish being superb. The huge pull out drawer closes in a satisfying manner and the finish is excellent.

20200710_183120.jpg

Setting it up is both quick and easy with no fuss at all.

20200710_184240.jpg

As it arrived late in the day I haven't really had the time give it much attention yet and because we are having a grandchildren sleep over weekend, I won't be looking at it again until next week. When I do, there will have to be some careful thought put into packing within to avoid rattles but that won't be a problem. At first glance I feel that the removable stainless steel shelves might also provide some rattle issues when in the stowed position, so minor sound deadening mods may be necessary. However, my first impressions of this item are very favourable indeed.

20200710_193241.jpg

I will do a full review once I have had a chance to play with it, test it and adapt both the stowage in the vehicle and of items within the Dock kitchen. :thumb

Last edited:
We’ve got a Cobb stove which always goes in the van with us and uses charcoal. After reading this thread about purchasing gas I’m very glad we use the Cobb! Mind you we also only really travel around the UK so probably wouldn’t have the same issues. We’ve also got a little bio lite stove that uses wood, but that is very difficult to regulate.
The Cobb cooker is a great bit of kit. I've found that it's very much a skill to be learned though. We've had some great successes and some less than successful meals using ours. They are all trial and error. Unfortunately Mrs B doesn't share my enthusiasm for the Cobb therefore it only gets a run out to club events and largish picnics. We don't take it in the van all of the time.

It was very well packed:

View attachment 62611

First impressions:
It is indeed a very well made item. It definitely has a quality feel to it with the finish being superb. The huge pull out drawer closes in a satisfying manner and the finish is excellent.

View attachment 62612

View attachment 62613

As it arrived late in the day I haven't really had the time give it much attention yet and because we are having a grandchildren sleep over weekend, I won't be looking at it again until next week. When I do, there will have to be some careful thought put into packing within to avoid rattles but that won't be a problem. At first glance I feel that the removable stainless steel shelves might also provide some rattle issues when in the stowed position, so minor sound deadening mods may be necessary. However, my first impressions of this item are very favourable indeed.

View attachment 62614

I will do a full review once I have had a chance to play with it, test it and adapt both the stowage in the vehicle and of items within the Dock kitchen. :thumb
Cool.... :bananadance2
You better change the thread title now :)
You were only thinking about it on the 10th of june and now on the 10th of july
you have one in your van. I like it.

It was very well packed:

View attachment 62611

First impressions:

View attachment 62612

View attachment 62613

View attachment 62614

Thanks for the photos, and I’m so glad that your first impressions are positive. I’ll let you know when ours arrives and we can compare notes :)

Looks very nice both on the shelf and standing outside!

It was very well packed:

View attachment 62611

First impressions:

View attachment 62612

View attachment 62613

View attachment 62614

That was a quick delivery, we like what we can see so far, enjoy your playtime ;)

Nice. Do you think you can use it in place in the vans sliding drawer or do you need to have it free standing? We have ours always there and it perfect cooking under the boot lid as well as trying to keep the wind out from the gas cooker:
i-jcXb7Zf-X4.jpg

The Cobb cooker is a great bit of kit. I've found that it's very much a skill to be learned though. We've had some great successes and some less than successful meals using ours. They are all trial and error. Unfortunately Mrs B doesn't share my enthusiasm for the Cobb therefore it only gets a run out to club events and largish picnics. We don't take it in the van all of the time.
Is it heavy Borris.

Nice. Do you think you can use it in place in the vans sliding drawer or do you need to have it free standing? We have ours always there and it perfect cooking under the boot lid as well as trying to keep the wind out from the gas cooker:
i-jcXb7Zf-X4.jpg
Hello Kave,
There is no reason why you couldn't use it in situe on the pull out tray. That's what we will probably do. Just lift off the support legs unit and you are ready to go. Btw that leg support unit makes a very useful extra low table.

With our configuration, if we wanted to access the Dock's pull out cutlery drawer you would have to lift out the fridge but that's no problem. I will post some photos of the various possibilities shortly when I have some spare time. :thumb

Ok I just had a fiddle around with our new Dock Model 1 camping kitchen. Here are some photos of the revised stowage arrangement:

20200714_114335.jpg
Here is the empty 740mm Calicap pull out tray with a breaker bar and 19mm socket attached. Note the stowage of the tray, washing up bowl and bucket. The orange things are just foam pads to stop the tray damaging the back of the bench.

20200714_114417.jpg
This item is a canvas wind screen that goes around our single burner gas stove.

20200714_114514.jpg
WASHING UP BOX - 400 L x 300 W x 100 D Auer Euro box containing toilet rolls, cleaning and washing up stuff etc.

20200714_114559.jpg
KITCHEN BOX - 400 L x 300 W x 270 D Auer Euro box containing a Campingas 907 cylinder, single burner Campingaz Super Carena R Gas stove, kettle and other assorted kitchen items.

20200714_114706.jpg
ELECTRICAL BOX - 300 L x 200 W x 170 D Auer Euro box containing 25m EHU hook up cable, Euro connector and various adaptors.

20200714_115016.jpg
WATER CONTAINER.

20200714_115322.jpg
WAECO/DOMETIC CFX35 fridge/freezer with buffer pad.

20200714_121344.jpg
This is the same buffer pad cut to provide stowage for our Ridge monkey. Note the square hole is a vent for the fridge.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Continued from previous post.

So far we have no rattles but I do intend to dress the inside of the tray upstand with self adhesive rubber strip.

@kave to answer your question here are some more photos of the kitchen set up without it being removed from the tray:

20200714_105634.jpg
20200714_105848.jpg
20200714_105131.jpg
With the fridge still in situe.
20200714_105832.jpg
20200710_193241.jpg

For those few that like to cook inside I will also do some photos of the set up in the van. Watch this space.

Continued from previous post.

So far we have no rattles but I do intend to dress the inside of the tray upstand with self adhesive rubber strip.

@kave to answer your question here are some more photos of the kitchen set up without it being removed from the tray:

View attachment 62866
View attachment 62868
View attachment 62869
With the fridge still in situe.
View attachment 62870
View attachment 62871

For those few that like to cook inside I will also do some photos of the set up in the van. Watch this space.
Looks a great set up, would work well for us as we lash our fridge to the floor behind the passenger seat. Thanks for sharing :thumb

Hi, I really like the Cobb. We have a helpful carry bag and I can carry it without a problem. We have a number of extras as well, like the height extension ring.
Yes I agree the Cobb is a great cooking tool. Roasted gammon, glazed with home made thick cut Seville marmalade was one noteable success. On the pudding front one of our most memorable was an utterly delicious tarte tatin with creme Fraîche.

The great thing about a Cobb is that nothing happens quickly therefore there's plenty of time to imbibe. By the time it's cooked you and your guests are very mellow indeed. :thumb

Great review so far Borris. Hope your on a small commission. :cheers

Very impressive set up Borris. Is that a checklist of contents I see in photo 3?
Kelvin

Back