Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HD Roll Bars, comfot light plus

Not a good story is it and I appreciate you letting others know so we can at least make an informed decision . I struggle to understand how a damper would work only some of the time given its a fixed orifice. I believe the dampers are built by koni for VB air at least that what Rosmia tell me so might be worth a chat with them although it sounds like you have moved on. The ironic thing is that the VB air is basically an air spring and the dampers are only changed to match and of course the front integral as its a strut.
You shoudnt have to do it but the rear damper scan be replaced with whatever you like so maybe a bilstein B8 and the front can be refitted by a bespoke builder like Maxton who build my bespoke motorbike stuff.

You have me looking at the ABP stuff now. Does this function in a similar way to VB ?

HD antiroll bar (ARB) isn't on the VW internet options.

H&R ones can be found for a fitted price of circa £400 from various suppliers. This is the same price as many who only supply them for you to either fit yourself or pay for fitting by a Professional.

It isnt on the internet options but its is in the dealer options list (from factory) as I have ordered it for my yet to be delivered cali

I was told that shock absorbers are from Alko. They supplied Koni ones for the rear to sort that out but said Koni not available for the front. I was prepared to pay extra but still nothing offered.

VB front strut has a bespoke bottom mounting for the airbag and it was a case of I couldn't source a compatible strut other than replacing strut and airbag as a pair. ABP use Bilstein.

I went to fix my detachable towbar on once and found that I could lift the rear up/down quite easily. Next time I tried it was as normal solid. I found the same on the front a couple of weeks after VB was fitted. I assumed that it was a valve problem as that's what controls the fluid flow.

I have kept quiet on here about this problem in the belief that VB would sort it out or at least try to.

ABP is basically the same as VB, airbags controlled by a central unit linked to sensors on the suspension. Various control units and hand units are available. bigger compressor with quicker height changes. All optional and obviously cost related.
Not linked to vehicle speed as is the VB which needs an option adding at point of vehicle order or an additional cable fitting to get speed data.

After initial problems with the VB electrical system I was quite happy with it only the damping/bouncing about became too tiring and irritating to drive. Aborted two holiday trips because of it and limited them since.

All in all very irritating as so many swear by their VB suspension.

I wonder if VB have changed supplier from Koni to Alko and that is the problem, never heard of an Alko damper more chassis people. Are you one of the most recent adopters ?
I understand you have probably had enough by now but a friendly bespoke damper outfit can most likely get a cartridge into the front strut even if it wasnt designed for this. Leda did this for me once but they are no more Im afraid.
Given the sums you have invested its worth a go to speak to Koni direct or Richard at Maxton Engineering and see they will take it on for you. Maxton is best known for bike suspension ( which I have) but does bespoke stuff for cars as well. Really a top outfit

Just had a look and Alko do caravans trailers and commercial vehicle dampers thats it. Really interested to find out if VB have indeed moved from one of the best in the business to a outfit where its a sideline.

Also looked at that VB front strut. Not as straightforward as I had in my mind.

I wonder if VB have changed supplier from Koni to Alko and that is the problem, never heard of an Alko damper more chassis people. Are you one of the most recent adopters ?
I understand you have probably had enough by now but a friendly bespoke damper outfit can most likely get a cartridge into the front strut even if it wasnt designed for this. Leda did this for me once but they are no more Im afraid.
Given the sums you have invested its worth a go to speak to Koni direct or Richard at Maxton Engineering and see they will take it on for you. Maxton is best known for bike suspension ( which I have) but does bespoke stuff for cars as well. Really a top outfit
VB fitted June 17 and it was the second T6 in UK. I found out some months later. There was electrical problems initially but they were resolved. Basically VB hadn't got the regenerative charging levels set correctly. Kept giving a flat battery indication and shutting down the air compressor. Wouldn't lift up to drive position.

Already paid out for ABP front struts to cure main damping issue. Took some months to actually do it with costs involved. VB system covered by warranty in theory.

Whats your next move. Can you not leave it as is with ABP struts and VB air system ?

Basically the ABP struts have a different height range in that they start from a lower height which results in a lower maximum body height.
This showed up in not being able to go up to off road height, not an issue for me as I don't use or need it. i also found that in my driveway it wouldn't complete the auto-level mode. Again due to the front not going up enough. My drive is on a slope. Probably if I turned the Cali around it would have done as the rear would then be doing the raising.
The ABP airbags are of a different design to the ones VB utilise and appear to require more air to raise. The VB compressor is very slow to raise from parking position now, never was very quick.
I think that as the VB compressor is now working harder there is a long term risk of failure.

I could use it as is by not selecting Offroad and using chocks for a rough level and letting the Autolevel fine tune the last bit.

Its going in on Monday for a survey on fitting a high spec air control system and fitting ABP air bags with Bilsteins on the rear.
Survey needed as they normally put a big air tank in the spare wheel area. I won't part with my spare wheel.
Tank size dictates how fast the height can be altered. I don't need Mexican leaping car ability so a good compressor should suffice my needs.

Got it. Would it be an option to get a strut top spacer machined up to bring the nominal level back up then you could potentially stick with the VB system.

Got it. Would it be an option to get a strut top spacer machined up to bring the nominal level back up then you could potentially stick with the VB system.
I initially thought of that but when delving into Bilsteins I found info about them being lowered. If you had a standard steel spring one and merely swapped the strut on a Cali, keeping the old spring, the ride height would be lower. Not confirmed that merely what I read.

A top spacer would reduce the thread available for securing and raise the bump stop possibly causing the piston rod to bottom out inside the strut causing metal or parts damage.

I prefer keeping everything to manufacturers design spec. in this instance. ABP have done all the design and production work in producing the T5-T6 units.
I did toy with idea of going to see them about producing a strut suitable for the VB air bag but pretty sure I'd have a seizure at the cost implications.

Back