Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Headlights - getting Dangerous?

It's not so noticeable in the Cali but in our mk1 Audi TT, as you sit so low to the road, it's become intolerable. So much so we've just joined the club, sold the TT and bought an SUV (with led lights).

Listening to this story on the radio yesterday it was lacking some detail and being overly general in its opinion.
Factory fitted xenon discharge and LED lights have to have self-levelling devices fitted so shouldn't be dazzling. However, there are so many aftermarket lamps and it seems, little or no enforcement preventing them being fitted, that every Tom, Dick and Harry is fitting them and these are simply not designed to correctly spread the light into the reflector of standard reflector headlights.

One of the biggest problems seem to be those that have fitted hid replacement bulbs. Saw one the other night and thought they had their main beam on!
There are a lot of folk round our way with either one bulb out or one light out of level o_O

HIDs without the fish eye lens are the offenders here. They stick them in standard halogen reflection lamps and the light emitted is intolerable.
An improved light from a vehicle to enhance driving will give out a more intense beam, its a given. We have been used to low levels of light from halogen bulbs in cars for a long time.
I cant deal with the lights when i'm tired, but when im not its ok. people need to get some more sleep :rolleyes:

I used to do a lot of rural night driving when I worked shifts and really hated the very bright, bluish lights. I do find though that with the driving position so much higher in the Cali I don't have the same problem with them - usually!

Correct headlight alignment and light spread should at least be part of the MoT test surely? As for vehicles less than three years old.......?

I think the half problem is adaptive headlights which are basically permanently on main beam and then rely on the car to detect a vehicle in front or on coming. The car then blocks out a portion of the beam in a moving spot where it thinks the vehicle is. I had them on my GLE and they were like floodlights and amazing technology but I was always getting flashed.

Back