Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated front Screen Option - worth having?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I was just reading a recent post re getting a chip to the heated front screen. Noted that this option is one of the few extras listed on the T6.1 configurator. Do others who have this feature find it super useful? Does having it mean no more scraping frost and ice off in the early morning? To me this is only an issue when i need the car first thing in the morning but maybe not so important when camping. I also queried with VW what "wing door right in passenger compartment' refers to and it seems that is a poor translation in relation to the electronic door opening option.

I was just reading a recent post re getting a chip to the heated front screen. Noted that this option is one of the few extras listed on the T6.1 configurator. Do others who have this feature find it super useful? Does having it mean no more scraping frost and ice off in the early morning? To me this is only an issue when i need the car first thing in the morning but maybe not so important when camping. I also queried with VW what "wing door right in passenger compartment' refers to and it seems that is a poor translation in relation to the electronic door opening option.

HI @jillyfish

I've found the heated windscreen pretty useful.

It does save scraping the windscreen, if youve got a couple of minutes whilst it melts the ice. You can also stick the bum warmers on if you have them saving you being out in the cold. it also works a treat if the front windscreen gets steamed up too.

Its one of them options I think that you can live without but comes in really handy on those few occasions when needed.

And youre right the 'Wing door'. It is referring to the electric sliding door option.

We do. It's great when you need to get going and haven't got the time to wait for the parking heater to warm up.

We've had it on our previous and current bus. Having had it we wouldn't be without it now.

For the little extra it was a bit of a no brainer. We do use our van all year round though.

We live in the sticks and there are times when you hit a bit of cold air the windscreen can mist up quickly when in motion.

The heated screen is great at combatting this.

I have it. I’d say it’s a nice to have, not a must have. If you’ve got the budget for it, go for it. If it is hard to justify for you, it’s an easy one to live without.

Yes, I’d agree it’s a nice to have but not essential. If there was a choice, I’d go for heated seats...... that’s something I really would miss!

thanks everyone. we will certainly think about this. Yes, i think for me, more interested in clearing the screen which can be a nuisance when mists up when driving/condensation. sometimes i can drive along with a little window at the bottom to see out of while the air blower does its work. not very clever.

Just for a balanced review, I was loaned one that did have it, my own Cali's don't. I didn't really notice it during the day but boy come night time I certainly did! The star bursting effect it creates on oncoming headlights is distracting and really hurt my eyes. I won't spec it on my vehicles for that reason. Maybe it's just my eyes!

Just for a balanced review, I was loaned one that did have it, my own Cali's don't. I didn't really notice it during the day but boy come night time I certainly did! The star bursting effect it creates on oncoming headlights is distracting and really hurt my eyes. I won't spec it on my vehicles for that reason. Maybe it's just my eyes!

I had it on a loan Golf and found it quite distracting, even in the day.
Actually put me off completely...

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed any visible difference with the heated windscreen at night?! Will have to test on the way home.....:thumb

I had one on a Ford Mondeo for a number of years, as said brilliant for winter mornings, but did notice at 3 years old some of the fine heating elements started failing, luckily on the passenger side, but made me think.

Heated front screen definitely worth having in the U.K.
I have not noticed the element wires, on MY18 you can barely notice then even when looking. I wonder how people get on with flies and other marks on the screen while driving ? If the sun were that severe to highlight the element wires to the extent they affected your vision I think you would probably have more of an issue with the sunlight not really fine wires!

If you use the van as a daily commuter I think it's worth having. I've got it but to be honest would probably be fine without it and just use the parking heater.

Just to add my pennies worth
I think is comes to budget and what options you want to spec
By build was going north of 70k with two tone paint, dsg, 4 motion etc.
The advice on the forum st the time was for both front and rear heated screens was that the parking heater could be used as an alternative.
I also believe they are mega bucks and not widely stocked if they chip or break.

So if you have the budget spare go for it - if not like me, it’s something you won’t miss and I drive mine daily.
Incidentally I’m sure I specced lots of options that members who opted for heated screen wouldn’t have chosen, so IMHO It comes down to your budget and how you rank your options :thumb

I think the heated screens are laminated glass which also have better acoustic and heat insulating properties.

thanks everyone. we will certainly think about this. Yes, i think for me, more interested in clearing the screen which can be a nuisance when mists up when driving/condensation. sometimes i can drive along with a little window at the bottom to see out of while the air blower does its work. not very clever.
An illegal practice. Must have full forward vision.

Used ours once in two years. I wouldn’t spec it myself, but ours was a showroom van already specked.

Although, the one time I did use it, it worked great!

I have the heated windscreen.

I find it very slow and next to useless.

I had it in a Ford car and can say that the Ford fitment is far superior....very quick to heat up, whereas the VW Ocean is very, very slow.

As others have suggested, it is more convenient to put the aux heater on beforehand.

Bear in mind that the heating elements are nearer the outside than the inside because it’s intended to clear external ice not internal condensation: it’s quite ineffective at clearing condensation and I wouldn’t bother with it for the rare occasions that it’s icy: just put the parking heater on for 5 mins.

How much is the option. I'm sorry I don't get it. Its a bit the electric side door. Pointless. Open the door manually and use the heater

How much is the option. I'm sorry I don't get it. Its a bit the electric side door. Pointless. Open the door manually and use the heater
just under £500 i think. Yes, I think the heater idea is sensible. nice to get such a varied lot of replies. there does come a point when one has to say 'enough' due to expense, although the other half thinks as we are spending so much on Cali anyway, we should include it.....

I think the heated screens are laminated glass which also have better acoustic and heat insulating properties.
All California windscreens are laminated Irrespective of heated or not.

I have never seen the heating elements unless I look very closely, I think the people who say it's destracting but have some bionic eyesight

I have front and rear windows heated. I wouldn't do without them. It's the side windows that are the problem, waiting for them to clear.

Back