Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater and leisure battery

It would be better if the Bluetooth voltage monitor was fitted on the rear leisure battery on the battery terminal side of the fuse so when charging a higher voltage (~14v) would be shown if all OK (same voltage as shown on Control Panel) OR if the fuse was blown it would only show the lower battery voltage (~12v)
That's why I connected my Solar Panel below the Cube fuse on the rear Leisure Battery.
If the Cube fuse fails then the Solar Voltage will not be seen by the Control Panel, so giving an early indication that I'm running on 1 battery only.

I don't know if this adds anything ?
but this is just over 24 hours later since the last of a regular 22 mile commute and last photo in post 16. Its not be driven since then and nothing plugged in and all appears good?
Its cycling between these 2 figures.
I will now go and plug it it to the EHU but before I do....what if that fuse has blown ? @ThomasHJ do you know, is that in line stopping one battery from charging or will just stop power being drawn from it? I doubt I'll get to look at that until tomorrow and would like to plug it in today if possible.
I see @WelshGas answered your question. He is quite knowledgeable on the subject of cali electricty I have noticed.

Do let us know how this develops.

Also useful to know that on the negative post of the battery I have the date of manufacture stamped on it. Week/Year.

17AA24C5-33AC-4356-8E66-5FB413FC1E49.jpeg

Looks like mine are still the original pair on a 2008 Cali. 13 years service!! No wonder they are struggling a bit.

New LA80’s ordered this morning.
Wonder if I can get 13 years out of the new pair.

Wonder if I can get 13 years out of the new pair.
On my previous moho I had two Banner Leisure batteries (hooked up to solar as well as EHU) They were 13 years old and still A.O.K. when I sold it. I think that if you buy good quality and treat batteries as they should be treated, you ought to be rewarded with a long battery life.

I have now started my own 'blog' type of thread here to record my steps.
All advice welcome I thought I was treating them right so to only get 3 years of solid performance is a bit of a shock.

Last edited:
It will always show a lower voltage when it’s under load, it’s just the nature of leisure batteries and voltage drop, it’s only accurate (and I use the term accurate loosely) after a couple of hours of no significant draw.

When you turn off the heater the voltage will jump back up and that’s a more accurate idea of the voltage of the battery. 2 hours later should be a good indication of the actual capacity.

As others have said worth checking the rear fuse and that both battery voltages match and and if they’re out of sync that suggests you’ve lost the rear battery. It does sound like you’ve lost capacity.