Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater ECU

L

LynseyS

Our aux heater has stopped working. It previously ran cold like others mention on the post, but now no clicking and no air. VW Carrs have stated it is the ECU which needs replacing, which will cost nearly £3k as they cannot supply that part, but the whole system. The van is 12 months out of warranty, and there is no goodwill being offered for the repair, which is somewhat gutting considering the issues we have had with the vehicle, a 2008 pre facelift model. The battery is losing power also. We have been advised to contact customer services for a contribution to the repair.
Any suggestions on how to proceed appreciated.

:rain

That's bad news. I would look into consumer law as a support for any redress you may have, possibly after getting a second opinion from another VW Dealer first.

I think it may be a grey area, but my understanding of the SOGA (Sale of Goods Act - I think it's this one anyway) is that in matters like this it is reasonable to expect some form of redress from the dealer or manufacturer for up to 6 years. This would be dependent on any get out of jail free cards the dealer may hold like 'wear and tear', 'user error' or modifications to the vehicle etc. If its all as standard I think you have a good argument.

I would suggest contacting Consumer Direct (Now C.A.B 08444 111 444) making clear any other issues you have had with the vehicle as well as this problem. The issue relating to the law would be addressed in terms of 'durability' as a sub division of being of reasonable quality and were it to come to a small claim in court, I believe it would be seen by a magistrate as 'reasonable' in terms of the act to expect that such an item should certainly last longer.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/

Hope that helps. If you don't get any joy from this or a different dealer, or VW themselves, I would start quoting the act at them and ultimately try to take them to the small claims court if they don't play ball. If the vehicle has been properly cared for I would think you will at least get something significant towards the cost. On a vehicle of that price it seems reasonable to me to expect a central component to last many years longer. £3000 every 5 years is NOT reasonable running costs, IMHO.

Good luck.

Paul

Agreed. That is very poor.

If you don't get a satisfactory conclusion from VW, I would also suggest contacting the manufacturer of the failed component to see if they can service/repair/replace the failed item.

Thank you for the suggestions, we have written to customer services and await their reply! Interestingly we can source the ECU from webasto direct for £327, not sure why VW can't get hold of that part.

I seem to recall someone on the Cali facebook page posting problems with the heater. He went to a wabasto dealer who repaired it for him at reasonable cost.
These heaters a reasonably common, used in yachts & trucks as well as motorhomes.

Back