Heater Normal air vents.Engine Block Heater. Front Van

With Auto off , if I set to 20 degrees it blows cool air out dash vent .

When you set yours 20 degrees , auto off, put hand over dash vent. How would you describe temp on your hand ?.?
Mine is just cool, would thought should be hot ?

When you set yours 20 degrees , auto off, put hand over dash vent. How would you describe temp on your hand ?.?
when set to 20 degrees its about 20 degrees that comes out with the fan on low, feels a bit colder on full blast due to windchill.

So the rear / sync button .
If the rear control is set to off at rear control panel .

An I press Sync at front , does rear heating come on ?
Or does pressing rear at dash control.overide , what the rear control panel is set too ?

Does anyone know or understand how this rear / sync supposed to operate ?

So the rear / sync button .
If the rear control is set to off at rear control panel .

An I press Sync at front , does rear heating come on ?
Or does pressing rear at dash control.overide , what the rear control panel is set too ?

Does anyone know or understand how this rear / sync supposed to operate ?
Yes, I do.
If you put your rear display to OFF, then there will be no ventilation in the rear.
If you put on sync at the front, left front and rear will be set equal to what the left front is set at.
I don't know why you would turn the rear ventilation to OFF.
In that case, it will take much longer for the van to heat up/cool down, because that big volume of air has to be warmed up/cooled down all from the front vents.
Mine is 99,9% set to auto, 22°C., sync on.
I never had any issues in the 15 years of ownership over 202000km.

So does pressing the front cab rear button override the rear control panel if set to off at rear ?

Mine is cool at 20, tried it tonight, but then noticeable warmer at 21 and much warmer still at 22. Its not thermostatic precise and most certainly not the 2 degree difference on the dial

Took 16mins tonight to get up to 90 degrees and then the thermostat opened again and it dropped slightly so add 3 more minutes (was going down hill at this point) until it stayed rock steady at 90

Mine is cool at 20, tried it tonight, but then noticeable warmer at 21 and much warmer still at 22. Its not thermostatic precise and most certainly not the 2 degree difference on the dial
If you come from 20°, and set it to 21, it will first blow warmer air, to heat the whole van up that one degree, and so on and so on.
But after a few minutes, it will be blowing less warm air, just to contain that 21°C.

So does pressing the front cab rear button override the rear control panel if set to off at rear ?
If you press rear, you can control the rear ventilation from the front.
If you press rear, and then turn off the blower, the ventilation at the back will be OFF.
You can either control the rear from the rear, as from the front, but you can't control the front from the rear.
If you control the rear, when the front was pressed sync, you override the front sync.
It really isn't rocket science. It's just a 3-zone airconditioning system, controllable fully from the driver's seat, partly (temperature for the front) from the passenger seat, and only rear controls from the rear.

Arghh of course.....you're setting the temperature in the cabin and not the air coming out of the vent. If the air out of the vent is 22 degrees, with thermal loss through the vehicle's fabric , it would never heat the cabin to that temperature.

Not something I really though about before. Well relative to a car that is.

Arghh of course.....you're setting the temperature in the cabin and not the air coming out of the vent. If the air out of the vent is 22 degrees, with thermal loss through the vehicle's fabric , it would never heat the cabin to that temperature.

Not something I really though about before. Well relative to a car that is.
The smaller the car (cabin) you have to warm up, the less difference you are going to feel, and the faster the set temperature will be reached.
If you have the heat up the cabin of a panel van (with closed bulkhead), it will be set temperature in no time.
If you want the same temperature in your California, with the rear ventilation OFF, it will take a hell of a lot longer to get the same temperature, or even the same feeling.
All is relative to the situation.

In your home, with conventional heating system, your radiators will produce all the heat they can, until the thermostat reaches 1 or 2 degrees above set temperature, then the heating system will shut down, until the thermostat reaches 1 or 2 degrees under set temperature, and then heat up again.
On newer systems you have a modulational functioning, meaning it will give full heat at startup, and then it tries to keep your set temperature by modulating the heater to keep that temperature fairly constant.
This is what happens in your car.

Or something along those lines.

So this morning 6am, external temp 7.5 degrees. T6 150hp.
HOT air coming out of the cabin vents after 8 minutes and water temp reached 90 degrees in 11 minutes.
n.b. this is standard a/c and heating in my westy not 3 zone etc.

Last edited:
Different architecture with the 180. Also depends on engine load and I was on the M3 after 2.5miles......to put this into perspective I had averaged 37mpg by the time the engine was at operating temperature (so easy running)

Confirmation please off California ocean owners .

Volkswagen are saying no heat at all is meant to be blowing out vent , at bottom corner of the bench seat ??

Not on the calfornia ocean , But on the BEACH ONLY .

Would california owners please confirm this please

Confirmation please off California ocean owners .

Volkswagen are saying no heat at all is meant to be blowing out vent , at bottom corner of the bench seat ??

Not on the calfornia ocean , But on the BEACH ONLY .

Would california owners please confirm this please
Volkswagen T5.1 California Comfortline (early 2000's equivalent of the Ocean).
I just checked by putting my airco display to REST and REAR, directed to foot.
T6-Climatronic.jpg
(display from a T6)
airco achter.jpg
(airco display Multivan/Caravelle)

The remaining heat was blown out the vent on the right, near the base of the rear bench.

bekleding.jpg

airco T5.PNG

SSP where above picture is extracted from: http://vwpress.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ssp310_e.pdf

I hope this helps you out?

Back