Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Height of the California

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All
Does the stated hight of the Ocean and Beach include the factory fitted awning. Whenever I see a cali with an awning, it does look like the awning is higher that the vehicle. Im just concerned about 2.0 meter hight restrictions . I haven't received my cali yet otherwise Id measure it myself.

Thanks... great forum!¨

Sonas

The factory fitted awning does not exeed the 2m height .
In fact a Cali with or without factory fitted awning is about thesame height
, the awning comes about level with the roof .

My awning seems a bit higher at the back and does just take me over 2m. Would be just under without it.

With an awning mine measures at 1995mm. I have only come across one 2m height restriction that I couldn't get under as it was just at the bottom of a ramp and as soon as I drove onto the ramp I could see that the roof was going to make contact. If it is closer than you are comfortable with and you have no alternative, then a useful tip is to take some air out of your tyres. Good for about 10 to 15mm.

With an awning mine measures at 1995mm.
Thats interesting. Our hired T6 had an awning and the sign on the barrier must have said 1.995m because I thought it said 1.95m which would be a no go. I got under that with allegedly about 50mm to spare according to my look out. I did also stop for a peak myself and tended to agree with the observation. I don't know whether that particular council (near Mablethorpe) gave a bit of leeway but has it signed lower as a deterrent perhaps? because it sounds to me like it would have been a scrape otherwise.

Thats interesting. Our hired T6 had an awning and the sign on the barrier must have said 1.995m because I thought it said 1.95m which would be a no go. I got under that with allegedly about 50mm to spare according to my look out. I did also stop for a peak myself and tended to agree with the observation. I don't know whether that particular council (near Mablethorpe) gave a bit of leeway but has it signed lower as a deterrent perhaps? because it sounds to me like it would have been a scrape otherwise.
I wonder if there is some leeway sometimes. I have never got my tape measure out to check though.

You guys are braver than me. Did the Lowry car park in Salford at the weekend and was very nervous going up and down the ramps there. That's a 2.1 height restriction. Ducking all the way round! Haha. I think it's the beginning and end of the ramps that scared me the most. No problem though.

Be careful in some car parks. Entering one recently and stopped to check. Not enough clearance due to some resurfacing work.

Mike

Hi All
Does the stated hight of the Ocean and Beach include the factory fitted awning. Whenever I see a cali with an awning, it does look like the awning is higher that the vehicle. Im just concerned about 2.0 meter hight restrictions . I haven't received my cali yet otherwise Id measure it myself.

Thanks... great forum!¨

Sonas
The California roof is curved upwards. The Awning appears higher but a builders straight edge resting on the roof peak and the awning was horizontal with a height of 1995 mm. I regularly use well known Car Parks with a 2m restriction.
Council and NCP and other car parks normally have a height restriction less than the actual. Saves on claims etc., but watch out for hanging signs and ductwork in parking slots that may have been missed.

The California roof is curved upwards. The Awning appears higher but a builders straight edge resting on the roof peak and the awning was horizontal with a height of 1995 mm. I regularly use well known Car Parks with a 2m restriction.
Council and NCP and other car parks normally have a height restriction less than the actual. Saves on claims etc., but watch out for hanging signs and ductwork in parking slots that may have been missed.
So solar panels on the roof will raise the height by the thickness of the panel?

I regularly use the Bromley 2m restricted multi storey - each time I duck as I go under the warning sign, and drive to avoid passing under hanging "exit" signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew I was missing something!!!
The info below is wrong please continue to read thread I completely misread and didn't see dimension D. @Rich20
Just downloaded and checked the T6 Manual.....
The height quoted (1904mm) is with the tail gate open and pictorially at least it shows the spare couple of inches that I physically saw when I went under that barrier so perhaps it did say 1.95m after all?
T6 snapshot of dimensions.png

Last edited:
You need to measure your own with a large builders level as loading makes a big difference with the standard suspension.
With the HD suspension on ours we now measure 2050 at the rear edge.

Last edited:
The height is slightly different if you go for the fiamma awning but again under the 2m.

The VW roof bars are really quite tall if you ever consider those to.

With an awning mine measures at 1995mm. I have only come across one 2m height restriction that I couldn't get under as it was just at the bottom of a ramp and as soon as I drove onto the ramp I could see that the roof was going to make contact. If it is closer than you are comfortable with and you have no alternative, then a useful tip is to take some air out of your tyres. Good for about 10 to 15mm.
Need to remember to blow them back up or risk needing a new set after a few miles.

Tyre wear would make a fair difference, 2mm vs 9mm tread would be 1.4cm height difference.

16,17 or 18 inch wheels will make up to an inch difference (2.54 cm)
My 17 inches with awning have always made it ( but I still check!!)

I knew I was missing something!!!
Just downloaded and checked the T6 Manual.....
The height quoted (1904mm) is with the tail gate open and pictorially at least it shows the spare couple of inches that I physically saw when I went under that barrier so perhaps it did say 1.95m after all?
View attachment 25112
I had a look at my manual - T6 Multivan page 365. It gives the height as 1990 to 2030 for pop top roofs and 2206 - 2226 with the "boot lid" open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the table that went with the pic I posted above.
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 18.10.42.png

Last edited:
16,17 or 18 inch wheels will make up to an inch difference (2.54 cm)
My 17 inches with awning have always made it ( but I still check!!)
I don't think so.
Although the wheel diameter increases the Tyre wall height decreases, if the correct tyres are fitted, to maintain the overall diameter.

Arggghhhh
You know what someone needs to put me out of my misery here I have managed to mislead people already. I have edited my earlier posts 12 & 21.

So SORRY
My head has been spinning on the California learning curve.
Have a look on the 2nd pic the b) means is not available at time of printing.

2nd picture looks to have something like 21" rims, they would probably would increase the height unless they only had rubber bands for tyres.

For factory option sizes of 16", 17" and 18" inch wheels fitted with the appropriate vw recommended tyre sizes the overall diameter is near enough the same.

Back