Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help!! Damaged gas valve!

Milly Molly

Milly Molly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We’re heading off to France tomorrow morning from Yorkshire and have just been doing our final checks, including replacement the gas canister. We’ve found that the gas valve thread is damaged and we can’t get the new canister! We’ve tried local hardware shops and Go Outdoors but no luck for a replacement. Our local VW van centres are closed and I’m not sure where else to try. I know the club shop sells them and amazon, but we are leaving tomorrow so no time for delivery. Does anyone know of anywhere roughly en route between Leeds and Folkestone that may sell them on be open on Sunday?! This is the product on the club shop...

TIA

If you don’t get lucky this side, get one sent direct to the campsite in France.

you can easily repair a thread with a file. or even better a thread file. also remember a lot of gas fittings are 'left handed threads' so you need to undo it to tighten it.

A long detour but I have one in Arundel West Sussex.

A slight inconvenience but you will be able to get one
in france.
Do B&Q or screw fix sell them? They both have stores in Folkstone.

A slight inconvenience but you will be able to get one
in france.
Do B&Q or screw fix sell them? They both have stores in Folkstone.
Over here they are not a standard fitting, so unlikely to find them in a DIY store or even a caravan equipment store.

Over here they are not a standard fitting, so unlikely to find them in a DIY store or even a caravan equipment store.
Okay :thumb

Probably better just to find one in france then, just means a couple of days
without gas.

Thanks - a little too much of a detour! I think we have found one at a caravan shop that is open tomorrow morning. Keeping everything crossed!

Where are you going in France ?
Long shot but I live near ArunAlec ( didn't know until now!)
I am travelling on Eurotunnel Monday 2am ish going to Vendee South La Tranche Sur Mer.

Kev

Also you might try a chandlery as they often stock things like this

If you fit one of these you don’t you need to disconnect the hose every time you change the cylinder?

No you just drop the 907 in and spin the bottle (after you’ve got the thread started) by holding it up by the reg in one hand. Same as original reg method as I never separated the tap. It’s probably easier tbh because it’s less bulky to move out of the way when dropping the bottle in...1 less gas joint and and no risk of it snagging under the lid and stopping you opening it. Alternatively add an inline quick release fitting.

Last edited:
? Get a cheapo gas stove to see you through

from any camping shop
I agree.. We have 2 of the cheap camping stoves £10 each.and hardly ever use the main one in the van..mainly because we don’t like cooking too much inside unless there’s no alternative . The cartridges are £3.99 for 4 and 8 carts last us 3 weeks in France and Spain....Campsites we use electric kettle .. We have had our cylinder 3 years and only just had a refill, just shows how much we use it...Also much cheaper to exchange in Spain €16. Probably even cheaper if we had looked around.. Have a great holiday ....

I agree.. We have 2 of the cheap camping stoves £10 each.and hardly ever use the main one in the van..mainly because we don’t like cooking too much inside unless there’s no alternative . The cartridges are £3.99 for 4 and 8 carts last us 3 weeks in France and Spain....Campsites we use electric kettle .. We have had our cylinder 3 years and only just had a refill, just shows how much we use it...Also much cheaper to exchange in Spain €16. Probably even cheaper if we had looked around.. Have a great holiday ....
Anyone got a clue why Camping Gaz refills are so expensive at most retailers in the UK, the disproportionate difference is odd.

Use a st
No you just drop the 907 in and spin the bottle (after you’ve got the thread started) by holding it up by the reg in one hand. Same as original reg method as I never separated the tap. It’s probably easier tbh because it’s less bulky to move out of the way when dropping the bottle in...1 less gas joint and and no risk of it snagging under the lid and stopping you opening it. Alternatively add an inline quick release fitting.
Fit a snap connector in the tube then all you do is disconnect the connector, lift the bottle out with the regulator on and swap. No fiddling wirh the regulator when the bottle is in the van. Lot easier and less chance of getting it cross threaded. Just make sure you fit the gas stop part of the reglator on the bottle tube.

Use a st

Fit a snap connector in the tube then all you do is disconnect the connector, lift the bottle out with the regulator on and swap. No fiddling wirh the regulator when the bottle is in the van. Lot easier and less chance of getting it cross threaded. Just make sure you fit the gas stop part of the reglator on the bottle tube.

Thanks. Yes I’m going to do that, though I think you mean “fit the gas stop part of the connector...”?