Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hob not lighting

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
One of my hobs is lighting-up perfectly, but the other isn't. There is a spark, there is gas, but the two aren't combining. I've tried fiddling around a little bit to see if I can move the sparker a little closer. I've tried prodding a bit of wire into the holes where the gas comes out, but to no avail. It isn't damp in there and it's been this way for a few weeks now. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm assuming that you can see a spark on the affected hob.

The gas jet near to the spark may be blocked.

Use a pipe cleaner to push through the jet.

Or remove the top cover and clean jets, then replace the cover and retry.

One of my hobs is lighting-up perfectly, but the other isn't. There is a spark, there is gas, but the two aren't combining. I've tried fiddling around a little bit to see if I can move the sparker a little closer. I've tried prodding a bit of wire into the holes where the gas comes out, but to no avail. It isn't damp in there and it's been this way for a few weeks now. Does anyone have any ideas?
Use a match to light it. Run it for 20 minutes or so. Switch off and try again.

The spark ignition system is very noisy and if it doesn't light the first time it can be very, very noisy especially on a silent campsite early in the morning. I bought one of the little gas lighters for about £4 from most camping shops. Lights the hob instantly and almost silently. This is the most recent advert I could find.
1596182324990.png
Far more reliable than trying to clean the hob igniter to get a good spark.

The spark ignition system is very noisy and if it doesn't light the first time it can be very, very noisy especially on a silent campsite early in the morning. I bought one of the little gas lighters for about £4 from most camping shops. Lights the hob instantly and almost silently. This is the most recent advert I could find.
View attachment 63702
Far more reliable than trying to clean the hob igniter to get a good spark.
If you have a Home Bargains near you they are £1 each..we carry a couple for lighting the BBQ.. just keep them in the Cutlery draw...

I lit the hob (using one of those little gas lighters above) for just 2 minutes and then tried to use the ignition. Worked perfectly.

I might look to make space for a gas lighter though, for those early morning cuppas. Hey! I've just thought of double use. Sometimes you only need a fire for 6 toasted marshmallows. I bet some of you out there keep a gas lighter for that alone.