Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hot water system

When on hook up or leaving home, we always fill a thermos flask or two with boiling water. A woolly hat or similar over the flask(s) improves heat retention.

Recently we found two flasks that fit neatly into the space in the front doors. This gives more than enough water to last a day.

We hardly ever have to heat water on the stove.

In a Cali imo. overkill to add a boiler , as @motacyclist i carry a thermos witch i fill up with hot water when leaving home/campsite .
When not on campsite :
In the morning when making coffee you need to boil water anyway so in the ketlle stays a half bit in to the wash-up/and some cleaning up afther breakfast
Same in the evening , boil a ketlle .

Such a 220v boiler under the sink with 3liter is only two ketlles to boil , and can only be used when on hook-up ...when on hook-up means a campsite ....means just walk to the sanitairyblock if required hot water.

A gas boiler can be used off-grid but still...

A waterbag heating up in the sun ?

It's a Cali and not a big white so you need to make comprimises.
Just my 50cent

Last edited:
In a Cali imo. overkill to add a boiler , as @motacyclist i carry a thermos witch i fill up with hot water when leaving home/campsite .
When not on campsite :
In the morning when making coffee you need to boil water anyway so in the ketlle stays a half bit in to the wash-up/and some cleaning up afther breakfast

Such a 220v boiler under the sink with 3liter is only two ketlles to boil , and can only be used when on hook-up ...when on hook-up means a campsite ....means just walk to the sanitairyblock if required hot water.

Just my 50cent
All what you say is doable. I started off fifty years ago in a Bedford Dormobile and since have had quite a few bigger and some would say better equipped Motorhomes. For me it’s now a case of getting back to basics, but if possible not as basic as in the days of the Dormobile. It’ll be fine, once we’ve had a few nights in it.

Hi David, I'm not far from you and work near Garstang. Happy to help if you get stuck with anything Cali related although you have a lot of camper experience. :thumb
Thanks for that. I’m finding it difficult to believe we’ve downsized to the extent we have but it was either something based on a VW T5 or a T6 or giving up. After all the years of doing what we like to do she who must be obeyed is telling me we both need pointing in the right direction. We’ll pick the Cali up next Friday in Poole, hopefully have the essentials with us and have a couple of nights around Hamble before returning to Cabus next Sunday. By then we should have an idea of what’s what. You’re more than welcome to call round and cast your eyes over it though, anytime.

When not on campsite :

Just my 50cent
Totally agree if you mostly use camp sites as always other options for hot water. But for someone who goes off grid for weeks at a time the 12v version has an attraction. Once the solar has recharged the batteries I’ve always felt it such a shame the free available power is not used and just wasted. Fitting a small 12v water heater would be perfect way to use and store this energy. 3L + 80C must = 6L at a usable temperature so is easily enough for all my daily hot water needs and would cut gas usage to way less than half. Only my perspective but I love the idea of free hot water coming out of the kitchen sink.

I recommend the 2,5l version, we use it in combination with clean canteen insulated bottle 2l capacity. When you boil 1 kettle in the morning you have enough for morning thee/coffee and most hot water needs for the rest of the day( afternoon thee and or dish washing in the cali) . The difference in volume when packed between 1.5l version and 2.5l version is small but it is convenient sometimes to be able to boil larger volume of water.

Totally agree if you mostly use camp sites as always other options for hot water. But for someone who goes off grid for weeks at a time the 12v version has an attraction. Once the solar has recharged the batteries I’ve always felt it such a shame the free available power is not used and just wasted. Fitting a small 12v water heater would be perfect way to use and store this energy. 3L + 80C must = 6L at a usable temperature so is easily enough for all my daily hot water needs and would cut gas usage to way less than half. Only my perspective but I love the idea of free hot water coming out of the kitchen sink.
What a good idea, although we don’t ‘Wild camp’ as such I’ve never had a solar panel. I should look into that. Never had an inverter either so a solar panel with the added benefit of a decent sized inverter could be a way forward but I do like the idea of a12v water heater. Tell me more.

What a good idea, although we don’t ‘Wild camp’ as such I’ve never had a solar panel. I should look into that. Never had an inverter either so a solar panel with the added benefit of a decent sized inverter could be a way forward but I do like the idea of a12v water heater. Tell me more.
It’s all in the German link sapto posted above. Could also heat while driving.

It’s all in the German link sapto posted above. Could also heat while driving.
Hopefully this translation is correct.

Hello everybody,

For many, a completely useless project, but I wanted to try and demonstrate that it works. Showering in Cali would be over the top, but washing your hair and cat washing with warm water has something.

First of all, I got all the needed parts on the internet:

1 x Elgena small boiler KB3 (230V, 660W, 3Liter)
1 x Truma mixing valve
2m hot water hose (inner diameter 10mm)
6 x hose clamps (clamping range 8-16mm)
1 x rocker switch (3-way, 6-pin, 250V, 15A)
1 x Schuko coupling
2-core cable 1.5mm²
0.5m shower hose + hand shower
½ ???? - Adapter for the faucet

The boiler fits perfectly in the niche of the left kitchen cabinet. This causes the boiler hardly any loss of space and the mounting effort is low. The boiler is clamped at the top of the hose nozzle behind the rear wall.

I have integrated the mixing valve in the sink, but it is a hole about 15mm in the sink to drill.

The connections in the cabinet are a bit fiddly, but the work was worth 100% in my opinion.

The boiler can be operated by the 1500W voltage converter installed by me under the driver's seat or by shore power via shore power. The selection is made via the 3-way switch.

The water temperature in the boiler is set to 80 ° C and is controlled by the mixing valve to tolerable temperature. Heating time to 80 ° C for about 15 min. Mixed at about 20 ° C, the amount of water for a complete cat wash with hair wash.

Costs:

Boiler 133 euros
Mixing valve 20 euros
Shower with hose 19 euros
Water hose 10 euros
Hose clamps 7 Euro
Rocker switch 4 Euro
Schuko coupling 2 Euro
Adapter 10 euros
Total 187 euros

For almost 200 euros you have warm water in the Cali.

Here are the pictures:

greeting

Hopefully this translation is correct.

Hello everybody,

For many, a completely useless project, but I wanted to try and demonstrate that it works. Showering in Cali would be over the top, but washing your hair and cat washing with warm water has something.

First of all, I got all the needed parts on the internet:

1 x Elgena small boiler KB3 (230V, 660W, 3Liter)
1 x Truma mixing valve
2m hot water hose (inner diameter 10mm)
6 x hose clamps (clamping range 8-16mm)
1 x rocker switch (3-way, 6-pin, 250V, 15A)
1 x Schuko coupling
2-core cable 1.5mm²
0.5m shower hose + hand shower
½ ???? - Adapter for the faucet

The boiler fits perfectly in the niche of the left kitchen cabinet. This causes the boiler hardly any loss of space and the mounting effort is low. The boiler is clamped at the top of the hose nozzle behind the rear wall.

I have integrated the mixing valve in the sink, but it is a hole about 15mm in the sink to drill.

The connections in the cabinet are a bit fiddly, but the work was worth 100% in my opinion.

The boiler can be operated by the 1500W voltage converter installed by me under the driver's seat or by shore power via shore power. The selection is made via the 3-way switch.

The water temperature in the boiler is set to 80 ° C and is controlled by the mixing valve to tolerable temperature. Heating time to 80 ° C for about 15 min. Mixed at about 20 ° C, the amount of water for a complete cat wash with hair wash.

Costs:

Boiler 133 euros
Mixing valve 20 euros
Shower with hose 19 euros
Water hose 10 euros
Hose clamps 7 Euro
Rocker switch 4 Euro
Schuko coupling 2 Euro
Adapter 10 euros
Total 187 euros

For almost 200 euros you have warm water in the Cali.

Here are the pictures:

greeting
Yes but it’s the latter half of the thread where another guy fits the combi 230v / 12v version.

@Skewif , how many Cali's / Calis (seems some have a problem with the way we write on here) stay off grid for weeks ...?
I never been longer off grid than say 4 days.

A eletric boiler goes perfect next to the tv , ovens , coffeemachines ...some take :D

Don't think many stay more than five days off-grid .

As always it's personal preference , noting wrong with boiling water on the coocker the 907 lasts long enough .

@Skewif , how many Cali's / Calis (seems some have a problem with the way we write on here) stay off grid for weeks ...?
I never been longer off grid than say 4 days.

A eletric boiler goes perfect next to the tv , ovens , coffeemachines ...some take :D

Don't think many stay more than five days off-grid .

As always it's personal preference , noting wrong with boiling water on the coocker the 907 lasts long enough .
Err... I did say I totally agree with you. Sorry I realise now I should not have quoted you to discuss an alternative use of such a system. My bad.

I dont use campsites much if at all in Europe. I used motorhome stop overs which mainly have electric and water on site. Boiling kettles for washing etc is a pain. The water urn gives a good amount of hot water for washing etc and a few cups of tea after. I did put a hot water diesel boiler in a van years back, but the cost of doing so again and with the vw not having much in the way of on board water or wet area makes it to my mind a total waste of time and money. F

I dont use campsites much if at all in Europe. I used motorhome stop overs which mainly have electric and water on site. Boiling kettles for washing etc is a pain. The water urn gives a good amount of hot water for washing etc and a few cups of tea after. I did put a hot water diesel boiler in a van years back, but the cost of doing so again and with the vw not having much in the way of on board water or wet area makes it to my mind a total waste of time and money. F
You are so right, the water goes right down the drain be it hot or cold.

Yes but it’s the latter half of the thread where another guy fits the combi 230v / 12v version.
Trust me to give duff information. Sorry about that. Just had a look, very interesting and a comprehensive explanation for a D.I.Y.

Trust me to give duff information. Sorry about that. Just had a look, very interesting and a comprehensive explanation for a D.I.Y.
It does indeed look interesting. Impressed with how small it is and can fit in the fairly unused space. Not at all keen on drilling a hole in the sink for an ugly (imo) temperature knob or the other tap fitted but I’ve found some other suitable taps though will have to wait for dimension to see if okay. Think I’m going to order the 12v version to play with it as confident will run well from engine and also solar. Happy to keep you informed as to how I get on to see if it is the kind of thing that suits your needs.

It does indeed look interesting. Impressed with how small it is and can fit in the fairly unused space. Not at all keen on drilling a hole in the sink for an ugly (imo) temperature knob or the other tap fitted but I’ve found some other suitable taps though will have to wait for dimension to see if okay. Think I’m going to order the 12v version to play with it as confident will run well from engine and also solar. Happy to keep you informed as to how I get on to see if it is the kind of thing that suits your needs.
It is indeed. I agree about the fiddly knob and tap and thought there must be a better way.
Should you take the bull by the horns I’d be more than interested.
Like you say the tank takes up space that would be underused in most cases.

711r2a64mml--sl1500--500x500.jpg

If you want something for use on hook up we use a variant of this tap on building sites where we have no hot water. Get water to it - we use hosepipes, and stick a 240v plug on the end of the cable. It has a built in water heating element & gives instant hot water, this one is about £50 & would be good on a slidepod.

For the suggested uses in an ocean fitting it in the rear in the same way that the shower attachment is would be a better bet with a shower hose fitted to it.

711r2a64mml--sl1500--500x500.jpg

If you want something for use on hook up we use a variant of this tap on building sites where we have no hot water. Get water to it - we use hosepipes, and stick a 240v plug on the end of the cable. It has a built in water heating element & gives instant hot water, this one is about £50 & would be good on a slidepod.

For the suggested uses in an ocean fitting it in the rear in the same way that the shower attachment is would be a better bet with a shower hose fitted to it.
Mmmm, that’s different for sure.
Have you any details available?

google

Redring TAP1 Instant Electric Hot Water Tap [Energy Class A]

its £34 on amazon. Its 2.5kw which is pushing it a bit for campsites.
I cant find the ones we use - they are about £25 and last a couple of months when run probably 4 or so hours a day 6 days a week. I'm sure our usual ones are less than 2.5kw as we run them off small generators.

We do use them with one of these -

shopping

I just use the jetfoil, so fast.

Camperlite K711 may be what you're after? Not used one so can't say if they are any good...

Back