Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water system frozen

Never set ours at 45 degrees but we live in the sunny South of the UK -Still learn something about the van now and again - have now set at 45 degrees to be safe but never noted this as an issue discussed before in the UK.

I’ve found using my Ocean in the Norwegian winter, the water system works okay in conditions down to somewhere between -5 and -10 as long as the diesel heater is used and the cupboard doors left open. If it gets colder or you don’t do both of the above, the system freezes. The tank is very close to the un-insulated van skin. My advice, if you want to use your van in temperatures below -5, drain the water system. If you are expecting low temperatures around zero, you can still use your water system but you will need to keep the temperature up inside your van and keep the cupboard doors open. If you’re going to have any periods of non-use and the exterior temperatures are likely to drop below 0 degrees, you will need to drain the water system.
I agree with that. I drained mine back in October and carry a container of fresh water.

I am always surprised that the Calis are so poorly insulated. I have not seen any inside the body of the van.

Given we live in them you would think VW would put some in.

Alan

Currently frozen solid. Tap was pushed off yesterday evening. Temp outside is around -5. Have left the diesel heater on full for about 4 hours now and still no joy ... will keep going and cross fingers!

Currently frozen solid. Tap was pushed off yesterday evening. Temp outside is around -5. Have left the diesel heater on full for about 4 hours now and still no joy ... will keep going and cross fingers!
Keep it going and it will thaw. My heater has been running continuously for the past 6 days. The van is plugged in as well. Did not bother to empty the tank yet as travelling in a few days to places where the temp is lower than here now in the UK ... so we will see.

I meant to drain the fresh water system before the cold snap but I totally forgot and now our system is frozen solid, what are my best options?

1. Leave it alone and thaw naturally?

2. Plug into hook up and put a oil filled heater on a very low settings?

Thanks all

Reminder to remove the filler cap on the outside of van when draining down to avoid a vacuum effect.

Worth looking at this thread also …

Back