Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How bar mounted bike racks and Ferries / Ramps question

rjb24

rjb24

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Do those with tow bar bike racks ie. Atera Strada or Thule have issues with the overhang when going on ferries or up multi story car parks/ supermarkets etc. ?

When accessing the Intermarché in Mauriad (France) I was scraping my mudflaps/towbar when entering the parking because of the steep entry. Should I have taken my bikerack, I would have been stuck, or just demolish my bikerack. Best thing is to avoid very steep entries.
Or one of the times a tailgate rack comes in handy. <--- Don't shoot me!! :talktothehand

We have an Atera and mudflaps - seems almost always to be the mudflaps that scrape rather than the rack except for very sudden changes in angle or scrambling up a rocky slope (inspired by another post on here tried to follow satnav to a high mountain lake to go paddle boarding but it turned into a rock-strewn path and the rack grounded out too).
Ferries haven’t been a problem. On the Atera there does seem to be a small amount of vertical float and will try to remember to pull the rack up as I tighten the clamp (but this will make the clearance on the vertical rack bar even more snug....)