Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do I attach my Outwell Drive Away to my T6 Factory Awning?

F

Freddie197

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
All the gear - no idea! I have tried to locate how to attach the new Outwell Milestone Shade Air onto the T6 with factory awning fitted but to no avail...please help avoid my embarrassment later next week

All the gear - no idea! I have tried to locate how to attach the new Outwell Milestone Shade Air onto the T6 with factory awning fitted but to no avail...please help avoid my embarrassment later next week
Open the awning slightly. Lift up the outer flap. Bingo. Awning rail. Normally people use a Figure of 8 to connect the 2 together if you plan on using the vehicle. I am no expert on that side of things as I have no desire to own an awning apart from the one on the van.

Open the awning slightly. Lift up the outer flap. Bingo. Awning rail. Normally people use a Figure of 8 to connect the 2 together if you plan on using the vehicle. I am no expert on that side of things as I have no desire to own an awning apart from the one on the van.

I hang my head in shame and embarrassment in equal measure
Thanks ever so much

As Welsh Gas says you need a figure of 8 strip (sometimes they come with the awning so check). You'll also need a kador strip to put in the awning chanel. The kador strip has beading on each side, one side fits in to the wind out awning chanel (you need 6mm) and the figure of 8 slides on to the other side's beading. Then your driveaway awning's beading fits in to the empty figure of 8 chanel.

You need to check the beading diameter of your Outwell to see what size it is.You can get Kador strips that are 6mm to 6mm or 6 to 4mm.

It's the most efficient way to connect a driveaway and you could also connect it to the other, non door, side of the van too (but not sure if that chanel is 6 or 4 mm.

This is the sort of thing I mean from the club shop. You can also get them from campervan /caravan outlets. Check the size you need before ordering online, remember you need 6mm for the wind out awning side.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...awning-kit-6mm-to-6mm-4-metre-awxdrive-3dta16

As Welsh Gas says you need a figure of 8 strip (sometimes they come with the awning so check). You'll also need a kador strip to put in the awning chanel. The kador strip has beading on each side, one side fits in to the wind out awning chanel (you need 6mm) and the figure of 8 slides on to the other side's beading. Then your driveaway awning's beading fits in to the empty figure of 8 chanel.

You need to check the beading diameter of your Outwell to see what size it is.You can get Kador strips that are 6mm to 6mm or 6 to 4mm.

It's the most efficient way to connect a driveaway and you could also connect it to the other, non door, side of the van too (but not sure if that chanel is 6 or 4 mm.

This is the sort of thing I mean from the club shop. You can also get them from campervan /caravan outlets. Check the size you need before ordering online, remember you need 6mm for the wind out awning side.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...awning-kit-6mm-to-6mm-4-metre-awxdrive-3dta16
When you connect to the wind out it can be up close to the van or wound out to give you more space and make it more light and airy. If you're awning is wound out (not fully as you'd have no leeway) returning if you drive away is easier as you don't have to worry about distance from the van (you can wind the awning accordingly) you just need to be straight. That way you can keep the tunnel nice and taut to stop water pooling or it flapping in the wind.

For privacy (say at night) or when the weather's bad you can buy side panels for the wind out but I use good quality shower curtains and tie one corner to the van side under the awning and then use a bungee to attach the other corner to somewhere on the driveaway awning. If it needs pegging down you can use tarp clips or reinforce the bottom of the curtain and add eyelets. In the day or whenever you can tie the curtains back like drapes, to the windout awning leg.

Our awnings are grey and black. 12 years ago I bought some black Ikea shower curtains and they were great. They're still good but looking a bit shabbier now so I got some grey ones last year. They're good quality and a good price:

When you connect to the wind out it can be up close to the van or wound out to give you more space and make it more light and airy. If you're awning is wound out (not fully as you'd have no leeway) returning if you drive away is easier as you don't have to worry about distance from the van (you can wind the awning accordingly) you just need to be straight. That way you can keep the tunnel nice and taut to stop water pooling or it flapping in the wind.

For privacy (say at night) or when the weather's bad you can buy side panels for the wind out but I use good quality shower curtains and tie one corner to the van side under the awning and then use a bungee to attach the other corner to somewhere on the driveaway awning. If it needs pegging down you can use tarp clips or reinforce the bottom of the curtain and add eyelets. In the day or whenever you can tie the curtains back like drapes, to the windout awning leg.

Our awnings are grey and black. 12 years ago I bought some black Ikea shower curtains and they were great. They're still good but looking a bit shabbier now so I got some grey ones last year. They're good quality and a good price:

You could also attach the curtains with shower curtain hooks to the wind out awning arms.

In fact shower curtain rings are great for hanging loads of things in and out of the Cali.

Perfect, I was about to ask the same question.

I already have one of the Kador strips as it came with the van so now just need to pick my awning.

Back