Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you play music in your California?

I’ve been waiting for this post! Seems a strange setup by VW, odd that you can’t use the stereo on hookup. Why take another bit of kit when you’ve got eight speakers in the van designed for that space?The solution seems obvious, but it’s strange that it’s so rare. I’ll get onto Absolut5 thanks very much.
Oh...
Hi Tim

Im afraid this is not possible with the factory headunit. As its controlled by the BCM (body control module)

We use a 160-200w German manufactured flexi panel with a Victron Bluetooth Mppt controller, these start from £699.00 installed

Oh...
Hi Tim

Im afraid this is not possible with the factory headunit. As its controlled by the BCM (body control module)

We use a 160-200w German manufactured flexi panel with a Victron Bluetooth Mppt controller, these start from £699.00 installed

Absolut 5 have been fitting these kits for a while, they know exactly what they’re doing with the factory radios.

Absolut 5 have been fitting these kits for a while, they know exactly what they’re doing with the factory radios.
The above was from Absolut 5

Ahh, my mistake. Must be with aftermarket radios only. Apologies

Here,t5, we use the Bose SoundLink. Very good Bluetooth speaker. Also using it around the house. And you can use it outside the van. Also connecting with the tablet for the occasional Netflix or tv app.

I installed an of market radio because the standard one is to old. I was thinking about rewiring to the leasure battery for use in the van when stationed. BUT i didn't because i think the speakers in the doors brings a lot of sound outside! So people probably have issues with it standing next to us....
That's probably why a lot of us use Bluetooth speakers. You can just try it yourself, i don't know the set up in an t6...

Mobile phone connected to Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II, not cheap but does the job.

I have one of those for home, for the van I use one of these (Blue Tooth). Although on Saturday, we switched to the van speakers (Blue Tooth) to combat a couple sitting in their Range Rover, next to their tent pumpimg ing some stuff.

20210628_164947.jpg

I have a Bose mini - amazing sound. But I bought one of these Ultimate Ears Wonderboom for camping based on a review on here. Even better sound, longer battery life, waterproof and cheaper than the Bose. Also sits well in the pocket (cup holder?) to the right of the rear bench apparently
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RSZZK35/?tag=eliteelect-21

Remote control? Or a speaker?
Had to check it wasn’t the Lego one my daughter has...but it’s way too cheap!
Bluetooth speaker. It looks cute but I bet you can get better sound quality from a known brand.

Hello peeps, just wanting to understand how you play music whilst chilled in the evening and camping in your Californias, hooked up on EHU. I’m in a 6.1 Ocean MY21, and love the sound from the infotainment system. And so prefer to play music in the evening via the system, rather than a separate portable speaker, say. But it (understandably and for normally good reason) cuts out after 30mins which is a bit annoying. Any views on this, alternatives, ways to override - eg I hoped camping mode might override the 30mins switch off but seemingly not. Views please.
Two spoons works for me!!

Another Bose Soundlink Mini user here. It fits in the upper door pocket nicely even in its case.

And another happy Bose Mini Soundlink user - with an iPad it meets all our camper audiovisual needs!

I've just last week had a Kenwood infotainment unit installed. I finally cracked it; Kenwood was no use, can't talk to them, no human available. Couldn't figure out how to plug a USB. No insertion found on front, so I rang a store selling them and they are in the glove compartment. Two of them. Now in the process of familiarising myself with the Kenwood and my smartphone. Like any new computer new thingie, the more one plays around and understands where to touch the screen, the easier it becomes. In hind sight, would I have changed from my VW dealership to another installer? Good question. Umm, my dealership has been excellent the past 6 yrs, so I have no regrets.
My van came with the Kenwood system, I don't find it very user friendly at all. Updated it last night, now Garmin maps doesn't work, they wanted £50 for an update, so back to google maps!

California Chris now saying new T6.1 stereo is now powered by the leisure battery. So perhaps doesn’t turn off after a few mins? See around 8 min 30.

I've not checked to see if it does work off the leisure battery, but it certainly still turns off every 20 mins.

Did anyone else spot the cali being driven roof up in the background at about 8 mins?

California Chris now saying new T6.1 stereo is now powered by the leisure battery. So perhaps doesn’t turn off after a few mins? See around 8 min 30.
Thanks a lot 66tim99. That sounds great - looking forward to getting our software upgrade done and then to test it.

I've not checked to see if it does work off the leisure battery, but it certainly still turns off every 20 mins.

Did anyone else spot the cali being driven roof up in the background at about 8 mins?
Are you saying that you’ve had the 6.1 software upgrade, andyinluton, and that it still switches off after 20mins?

Are you saying that you’ve had the 6.1 software upgrade, andyinluton, and that it still switches off after 20mins?
Ive had what feels like 20 software upgrades & radio still turned off last time I tried it. Last update was 2 weeks ago, not sure if I've had radio on whilst parked since.
I can't just turn it on & test now as it turns off when locking the van & I have better things to do than sit there for half an hour waiting to see if it works.

Haha yes but in reverse for aerodynamic reasons :)

He doesn’t really say much at all, does he?

He doesn’t really say much at all, does he?
No - why say it in one minute when you can say it in two seems to be Cali Chris’ mantra.
He says the Ocean has had a ‘recent upgrade’ to run the stereo off the leisure battery. Not sure then if that’s a software update or it’s a hard wiring...

Back