Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you play music in your California?

I am Grundig Cr730 Stereo Automatic kassettenrecorder I am passenger front chair place of convenient and is electric connection to driving chair floor attach 240V, can is playing all day and night forever.

Is making wonderful tones.

Each journey I prepare new kassette for travel and destination joy.

I do not liking Vw radio what switch off self time and not my time. My owning solution brings further pleasure more than is California radio.

I've not checked to see if it does work off the leisure battery, but it certainly still turns off every 20 mins.

Did anyone else spot the cali being driven roof up in the background at about 8 mins?
How old is your Cali Andy?
This sounds like a recent upgrade?

How old is your Cali Andy?
This sounds like a recent upgrade?
Mines a MY20 T6.1, doesn't make it clear if its a recent software upgrade or its t a MY22 hardwired change.

No - why say it in one minute when you can say it in two seems to be Cali Chris’ mantra.
He says the Ocean has had a ‘recent upgrade’ to run the stereo off the leisure battery. Not sure then if that’s a software update or it’s a hard wiring...
I understand "new" to mean the MY22

This

Or more often now these

Mines a MY20 T6.1, doesn't make it clear if its a recent software upgrade or its t a MY22 hardwired change.
It’s got to be a hard wired change as software can’t swap the connection from vehicle battery to leisure battery.

I would also be surprised if the radio default switch off after 20mins can be changed. It’s very common on a lot of vehicles and I can’t see them making a model specific change for such low volume sales. But who knows…!

I appreciate that the wiring can’t be changed via software, but there was a suggestion that the media systems ran off the leisure batteries when the T6.1 was launched.

There are already systems in the van - overhead control panel & rear lighting that are connected to both battery systems.

Apparently By using the Vw media app you can disable the auto turn off of the media. If it wasn’t lashing down outside I would go and try it. It certainly appears as a tick box on the app on my phone.

I appreciate that the wiring can’t be changed via software, but there was a suggestion that the media systems ran off the leisure batteries when the T6.1 was launched.

There are already systems in the van - overhead control panel & rear lighting that are connected to both battery systems.

Apparently By using the Vw media app you can disable the auto turn off of the media. If it wasn’t lashing down outside I would go and try it. It certainly appears as a tick box on the app on my phone.
I gather from watching California Chris, that the latest 6.1s do run the radio from the leisure battery but it wasn’t clear how that had been achieved. It would make sense to let it run for as long as it liked, so if there’s already that option it sounds great news.

Hello Andy, just wondered if you had any joy with this. I also see the tick box, but havent tried it in the van yet.... did you?

Ive not investigated further, but have had at least another two software updates.

Hello peeps, just wanting to understand how you play music whilst chilled in the evening and camping in your Californias, hooked up on EHU. I’m in a 6.1 Ocean MY21, and love the sound from the infotainment system. And so prefer to play music in the evening via the system, rather than a separate portable speaker, say. But it (understandably and for normally good reason) cuts out after 30mins which is a bit annoying. Any views on this, alternatives, ways to override - eg I hoped camping mode might override the 30mins switch off but seemingly not. Views please.
Our daughter with the ukulele.

Pretty weird we have to buy separate speakers while having a perfect playing system aboard...

Pretty weird we have to buy separate speakers while having a perfect playing system aboard...
Indeed, probably all comes down to money and relative difficulty of taking an already built van base and adding the camper side bits to it...

Absolut 5 can fit a switch in the glovebox which will switch the radio power from engine to leisure battery and eliminates it cutting out after 20 mins.
Great to know - how much do they charge for this sensible intervention?

Sonos Roam connected to iphone and Apple Music. Sonos say 10 hours on single charge but cant vouch for that claim yet. Charges vis usb c or wireless
I second this and use it as a normal Sonos when home!

I have seen talk that on the 6.1 the radio is powered by the leisure batteries anyway...
Assuming you have a 6.1 Coast rather than a 6 Coast?
We had our radio on on the other week with the keys out. It works but the infotainment system switched off after 30 minutes with the keys out. You can hot power to get back on again but have to do every 30 minutes.

For music/radio we have the Nebula Capsule Projector which also doubles as a bluetooth speaker and just connect the phone to it and stream.

I have seen talk that on the 6.1 the radio is powered by the leisure batteries anyway...
Assuming you have a 6.1 Coast rather than a 6 Coast?
We have a 6.1 Coast indeed, but I don't know whether the radio runs off the leisure battery - I've not yet been brave enough to try (disconnecting it). It still shuts down after 20 or 30 minutes, argh...

We have a 6.1 Coast indeed, but I don't know whether the radio runs off the leisure battery - I've not yet been brave enough to try (disconnecting it). It still shuts down after 20 or 30 minutes, argh...
Just check the voltage /current draw on the Control Panel when you switch the radio on without the key in the ignition. If Voltage drops or currant draw increases it’s running from Leisure Batteries, if not then engine battery.

So, we have a Bose speaker, like most do. Also, we carry and use a Transistor Radio, old school, analogue, turn dial to tune in. But it works!

Back