Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How long do owners keep their Calis for ?

I just get bored too quickly so have never owned a vehicle for more than 2 or 3 years, perhaps this type of vehicle will be different. But I didn't spec it, as a matter of interest how much is a VW service these day, ie how much do you save by buying the extended warranty (the dealer said I can add it anytime up to collection)
It’s not so much the servicing you want the warranty for, though that will cover a chunk of the cost - it’s the camping side of the Cali. That roof needs attention, or the control panel etc and you’ll be glad you had it. You won’t miss the money once it’s bought (0.5%?). If you think of vehicle life cycles in terms of warranty, I doubt you’ll regret extending its life.

It’s not so much the servicing you want the warranty for, though that will cover a chunk of the cost - it’s the camping side of the Cali. That roof needs attention, or the control panel etc and you’ll be glad you had it. You won’t miss the money once it’s bought (0.5%?). If you think of vehicle life cycles in terms of warranty, I doubt you’ll regret extending its life.
Thank you, you make such a compelling argument that I'm now going to spec it! Think it's £400 which probably covers a couple of hours of a VW mechanics time!!!!

Bought mine new in 2014. Now on 124,567 miles. I'll change when something better comes along, probably the next generation, as I didn't think the T6 or 6.1 were that significant a change. Hopefully a hybrid next.
Agree. Had ours in 2015 and there hasnt been an significant change so we still have it. Just under 70k mile with a service every year

Bought our first cali in 2014, an SE, loved it. Waking up to put the kettle on whilst still in bed with a great view, what more can you say.
Well 2017 sprog 3 arrived! Later that year sold the se on the Monday and collected a beach on the Sunday. Although not used much this last year, I've no intention to sell.

Thank you, you make such a compelling argument that I'm now going to spec it! Think it's £400 which probably covers a couple of hours of a VW mechanics time!!!!
Our van is now 38 months old and this week I have had £1,500+ of warranty work. Glad I have the 5 year warranty. No brainer for £400.

Removing the Cali from our fleet would be akin to removing a vital organ. I just couldn’t imagine living without one. I guess I’m lucky perhaps? Our bus owes us nothing financially and will outlive me so if it gets used every weekend or once a year it makes no odds.
The main thing is enjoying it however long you keep it.

We had a T4 Cali for 9 years. In 2013 We bought our current Cali, a T5 which has been brilliant. Our second car, a Smart, gave up the ghost some time ago so our only car is the Cali now 11 years young. Regular service at our main dealer, it has done only 66000 miles. Meeting a German guy with a T6 he said it is too cold micated

We had a T4 Cali for 9 years. In 2013 We bought our current Cali, a T5 which has been brilliant. Our second car, a Smart, gave up the ghost some time ago so our only car is the Cali now 11 years young. Regular service at our main dealer, it has done only 66000 miles. Meeting a German guy with a T6 he said it is too cold micated
Sorry too complicated

Bought ours new in 2010, currently c95,000 miles. We still love it. Just now cruising along a quiet French motorway at a relaxed 80mph. We’re thinking we’ll keep it until I can’t negotiate the upstairs bed .. but then there’s always downstairs!

Health and legislation permitting we are looking at at least 10 years. 21months, 21000 miles down and no reason to change that plan.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Health and legislation permitting we are looking at at least 10 years. 21months, 21000 miles down and no reason to change that plan.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Had our T5 since 2007 and it's on about 45K miles...Washed it more than driven it!

T6.1 Ocean for 30 days!
T6 Beach for 3 years in a couple of weeks…

I think ownership period may also be linked on how you buy the vehicle and that to me seems to be whole purpose of PCP. If you come to the end of the 3yr period and have a 40k balance then the temptation, or the manufacturer's aim, is for you to replace. The Dealer makes money on the new one and then they make money on your old one...... and the cycles continues

I personally hate buying vehicles, more so as I get older. To me its a simple transaction and I know what the market price is when I go in and discuss. I have bought vehicles over the phone and if the price is right then I can't be bothered to haggle. Thats your price, I'm happy with it, here you go. As a business owner I see this as a B2B relationship. I also dont do dutch auctions, hence when Breeze offered this back in 2017, I declined.

Similalry if the price is inflated and no movement I will buy else where and I cant be bothered to play the "game" . I've had numerous disappointed dealers ring back the next day to only be told too late..... I've bought from another dealer.

T6.1 Ocean for 30 days!
T6 Beach for 3 years in a couple of weeks…

HOW LONG DO OWNERS KEEP THEIR CALI FOR ?​

Ocean/SE or Beach?

I have noticed that the average age and mileage of each variant at point of sale are very different. Looking at the For Sale section over the last few years has told me that Ocean/SE models appear to change hands way more frequently than the Beach models.

Finding a nearly new low mileage Ocean is rarely that dificult as there are usually plenty of examples available. Not so where the Beach is concerned. As one would expect, owners clearly buy this latter model for different reasons and hang onto them for longer.

HOW LONG DO OWNERS KEEP THEIR CALI FOR ?​

Ocean/SE or Beach?

I have noticed that the average age and mileage of each variant at point of sale are very different. Looking at the For Sale section over the last few years has told me that Ocean/SE models appear to change hands way more frequently than the Beach models.

Finding a nearly new low mileage Ocean is rarely that dificult as there are usually plenty of examples available. Not so where the Beach is concerned. As one would expect, owners clearly buy this latter model for different reasons and hang onto them for longer.
Personal experience - you may be right. I had had a converted T4 many years ago which I kept till it got too old. About 10 years later after using a VW Sharan as my main car I started wishing I had a van so started looking but not sure I wanted to spend too much.

I brought my beach as :
1 To save towing my caravan if just me
2 Van to transport large items
3 Car for everyday
4 Trips between where I live in UK and place in Spain with lots of bags with clothes, bikes and electronics and wine on the way back.
5 Transport for trips that has a Porta Potty, table and chairs
6 Hold 7 people although I have taken out the bench so now it is a 4 seater.

It does all I want so no need to change. It is good as a van/car even if do not camp so no need to feel I paid a lot of money for camping that I rarely do. Not sure if I would keep a ocean if I had brought primally for camping and day trips but then I have a caravan as well which may lead me to think this way.

I thought that I would give my own feed-back on this subject. To be sure, it has taken a few trips away to be fully convinced that the Cali was the right vehicle for us. Every time we camp, we discover some better way to pack, and have improved our "system" for meal prep and bed set-up. At first, it seemed to require a lot of effort, now it seems effortless.

We have experimented with Drive Away awnings ( we have one for sale), panels for the awning and whether sleeping in the roof or "down stairs" and have settled on sleeping in the roof and using awning panels when necessary to protect against the elements.

We did look at larger campers but it always came down to how we would use the extra space compared with the disadvantage of a larger vehicles.

When holidaying, we always go out exploring in the Cali, parking in normal car parks, town centres, etc and this wouldn't be so easy in a larger vehicle. (We have a family member with a small motorhome and they are happy to park-up somewhere where they can walk to get food; happy to relax on site and do not explore as much. For them , the motorhome suits them fine).

The Cali gives us the flexibility to explore without the worry of narrow roads and parking yet provides a luxurious space for sleeping and eating. And the dogs love it !. In short, at one time, we wondered if we would also be selling after a few months, but now there's no way we would be without our California and it will serve us for many years to come.

Had T5.1 for 10 years (new exhaust, control panel and tap, otherwise OK) - may sell when T7 is announced.

I thought that I would give my own feed-back on this subject. To be sure, it has taken a few trips away to be fully convinced that the Cali was the right vehicle for us. Every time we camp, we discover some better way to pack, and have improved our "system" for meal prep and bed set-up. At first, it seemed to require a lot of effort, now it seems effortless.

We have experimented with Drive Away awnings ( we have one for sale), panels for the awning and whether sleeping in the roof or "down stairs" and have settled on sleeping in the roof and using awning panels when necessary to protect against the elements.

We did look at larger campers but it always came down to how we would use the extra space compared with the disadvantage of a larger vehicles.

When holidaying, we always go out exploring in the Cali, parking in normal car parks, town centres, etc and this wouldn't be so easy in a larger vehicle. (We have a family member with a small motorhome and they are happy to park-up somewhere where they can walk to get food; happy to relax on site and do not explore as much. For them , the motorhome suits them fine).

The Cali gives us the flexibility to explore without the worry of narrow roads and parking yet provides a luxurious space for sleeping and eating. And the dogs love it !. In short, at one time, we wondered if we would also be selling after a few months, but now there's no way we would be without our California and it will serve us for many years to come.
Unfortunately parking in normal car parks is becoming a thing of the past in coastal towns. No campervan signs and even vehicle length restrictions are becoming more common.

I bought mine in may 2010. Now over 120000mi. Not planning on selling it any time soon.

Unfortunately parking in normal car parks is becoming a thing of the past in coastal towns. No campervan signs and even vehicle length restrictions are becoming more common.
Recently visited New Forest, no height restrictions, but no overnight parking, Beaulieu car park had a weight restriction of 3.5t, so cali ok.

Currently at 18 months ownership, unlikely to change anytime soon, will keep for at least 5 years, as have the factory warranty, the cali is our only vehicle and ticks so many boxes, in the last month its been the daily drive, campervan for holiday and a removal van. May go bigger when retire as as want to travel more and for longer periods, but would then need to get a small car.

T5.1 2014 now on 128,000 miles and off to Norway in a few weeks.

Will be upgrading to the New California once order book opens.
when you say New California are you thinking the MV California or the 'proper' T7 if and when?

when you say New California are you thinking the MV California or the 'proper' T7 if and when?
As far as I am aware VW have stated there is only one New California in the foreseeable future. There is no California based on the Commercial VW/Ford collaboration, only 3rd party conversions.

As far as I am aware VW have stated there is only one New California in the foreseeable future. There is no California based on the Commercial VW/Ford collaboration, only 3rd party conversions.
That is my understanding too but was just interested that you are thinking about the new MV based version coming from a T5. I am looking forward to seeing it in the flesh but i am fairly certain it won't work for 4 of us but might work for 2 in a few years.

I can't imagine selling my T5 until the children leave home (in 5,10,15.... years if they ever leave!) unless fuel/penalties get too punitive. We've had it 6 years so far. 10 years old. And even then I am more likely to keep it as a 2nd car rather than a daily as it is now.

Back