Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many here have 4 Motion? Worth it?

July 2016 UK OTR Prices:
150 BMT None 6 Speed Manual £48,547.00
150 BMT None 7 Speed DSG £50,538.00
150 BMT 4 MOTION 6 Speed Manual £51,332.00
£3k buys you quite a few nice options you might use far more than 4MOTION. Would I prefer 4MOTION to FWD, probably, but not for £3k

£3k buys you quite a few nice options you might use far more than 4MOTION. Would I prefer 4MOTION to FWD, probably, but not for £3k
As I've said previously. If you use the vehicle all year round and as a daily driver, definitely worth it. If it is your 2nd or 3rd vehicle and used for holidays only then probably not.

I just returned from picking up my 8 year old son from a birthday party. When arriving on site I noticed a woman scratching her head, her Volvo XC70 was facing down into a ditch with one rear wheel in the air. I towed her out while 30 kids cheered behind a football net and my son screaming "its my dads California". That moment it was worth the investment :)

4Motion might be suitable in Weymouth right now. This is after 20 mins of heavy rain. Oh, and this is under the event shelter with the sides on!
5aad04116d4f04c881c661f63723c600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4motion was one of the reasons I went for the VW. Otherwise, some custom Ducato was a decent choice. Those aren't available in x4 drive.

I would definitely have gone 4 Motion if could have both DSG and at least 5 seats.

Not clear whether this was possible in either Ocean or Beach format. So ended up getting the 150 bhp 5+2 seater DSG Beach.

I would definitely have gone 4 Motion if could have both DSG and at least 5 seats.

Not clear whether this was possible in either Ocean or Beach format. So ended up getting the 150 bhp 5+2 seater DSG Beach.

No 4 motion for Beach in the UK. Which seems bizarre considering the Beach is aimed at a younger more adventurous market...???
I would consider one if it was available.

Agreed on this - had to choose the 5th seat over 4Motion. Had this combination been available then VW would be have made a lot more money out of us as we ended up going 150ps if we couldn't have 4Motion.

I was disappointed that VW didn't sort this combination out for the T6.

No 4 motion for Beach in the UK. Which seems bizarre considering the Beach is aimed at a younger more adventurous market...???
I would consider one if it was available.
Yes lots of weird limitations there it seems. :(
I was disappointed that VW didn't sort this combination out for the T6.
Don't think it is VWs initiative. No problem ordering all the thinkable configurations in Europe.

I just returned from picking up my 8 year old son from a birthday party. When arriving on site I noticed a woman scratching her head, her Volvo XC70 was facing down into a ditch with one rear wheel in the air. I towed her out while 30 kids cheered behind a football net and my son screaming "its my dads California". That moment it was worth the investment :)

Kave, glad you did the honourable Scandinvian "help thy neighbour" thing.

Here in UK many would have helped out too. But some would have passed not because they couldn't have helped but because of the Volvo XC 70 thing. Some would no doubt have derived some silent pleasure out of her predicament too. And some may even have contemplated tipping her in fully.

The lucky thing is in the UK such people rarely translate their thoughts into action. But more begrudge others silently than is good for their own sense of content and happiness!

And now I am not going to say "woman driver can do this to Volvo eh" because there are serious people on this board. Super serious. Plus not true of course, and one must never tempt fate. Plus I have been reliably told by Scandinavian women who are partners of my friends that not only are they the equivalent of men in every area, but surpass men in many areas due to natural instinct, biology and intuition. They have often told me that to try and offer help to a Scandinavian lady is to offend her.

Us Brits can end up being offensive even when not intending to (just a Victorian legacy I am afraid).

This leads me to the conclusion thhat if a Scandinavian wonan has found herself in such a predicament there is a serious technical fault in the Volvo XC70. After helping out you should have told her.

Interesting thoughts, however, Swedish women, unless they belong to a certain political party, is not like that. They mostly like "gentlemen" helping out, opening doors etc. But it has to be done in a certain way.
There where several adults just looking at it as well. I am the kind of person who actually like to solve problems. I don't do computer stuff in my sparetime since that is what I work with and people tend to not appreciate it at all anyway.

But, I must admit she was way calmer than what I expected. I kept telling her it can be anyone doing this mistake, because it can be.
She connected the rope on my car etc, and reversed properly when told etc.
All in all, a very good day :)

Yes lots of weird limitations there it seems. :(

Don't think it is VWs initiative. No problem ordering all the thinkable configurations in Europe.

So then it is VW UK telling VW Germany what UK consumers want.

It is like Merc and BMW offering 4Matic and X drive on most models in Europe and US but not here. That left the field open for Audi.....ironically a VW company.

Daft is daft as it gets. People always talk about why it makes commercial sense but unless there is an engineering limitation I am not convinced.

Wait for UK consumer to be screwed after invocation of Article 50. Used to be royally screwed before regulations came in, and in a country where a PhD in engineering from Cambridge or Imperial held in same regard as man come to fix kitchen sink with screw driver, don't raise hopes about internal standards.

Complain fellow Brits, complain!

If it weren't for the hassle I would have considered ordering from Germany direct as import.

VW Cali, what are the problems faced when ordering a new vehicle in Germany. I've often wondered about doing this...???

Yes. I bought from a german dealer who also has an office in austria. Austria have lower prices than germany and also belongs to the EU. The VW Dealer buys the Cali in Austria, drives the 20km to the German office and registers the car there.
I payed the dealer without VAT. I had to send in all the registration papers and COC paper to the authorities and now it is swedish.
I have to pay 25% vat in sweden in two weeks.
The main reason for me to buy in Germany is that VW sweden is even more bad that VW UK, so we are not offered the Beach at all. Only the Ocean.

A hint. Buying in Slovakia can be like 20% cheaper. Same deal, selling without VAT, you pay it at home. Prices in euros.

Well today i found out my winter tyres I had fitted last year are pretty much bold. Only 8k miles and yes I kept them on through summer. Mistake.
I was hoping for a lot more miles if I'm honest.

So, it's back to summer tread for me and I will keep the snow socks in the van for emergencies.

So it's does raise the question, would 4 motion be worth having...???
Just wondering if it would be, especially if it's your main vehicle.

My 4 Season tyres still have plenty of tread, over 7 mm , after 17,500 miles.

Pretty sure I checked a while back. They don't do them in 18s
255/45/18 103 required for a California.

I have done some reading and the general consensus is all weather are a jack of all trades master on none. Thus have avoided, saying that could be a worth while compromise if staying mainly within the UK.
Coupled with 4 motion will definitely help come winter.

I have all seasons (from factory on 18" Timaru alloys) and 4m. We live in a steep narrow hill in Edinburgh which is nasty in winter. I got van in and out in mega ice and snow no worries last year, ploughed up the a93 when it was closed and survived carnage on the m80 , van was solid and plenty of grip. Run all year round, 14000 miles and loads of tread left.

Back