Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much do you pay for insurance?

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have ordered and waiting for delivery sometime around March. Whilst I have spent many an hour researching specs and thinking how to russle up the balance of the deposit I haven't considered the cost of insurance. Can members share what they pay for insurance. My van will be the 204 DSG 4 motion at around £65k list. I am 55 years old with clean licence and no accidents and full no claims bonus. I fear its going to be yet another big number that I am going to have to find prior to the big day.

Difficult to put an exact figure but somewhere in the £300 region.
Comfort, safeguard CC & C&CC are 4 I tried and comfort came out best for me. Loads of threads on insurance , try a search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Difficult to put an exact figure but somewhere in the £300 region.
Comfort, safeguard CC & C&CC are 4 I tried and comfort came out best for me. Loads of threads on insurance , try a search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats good to know Mike. And I believe your spec is similar to mine. £300 sounds reasonable for such a pricey vehicle. I will contact all the usual suspects when it eventually arrives.

£300 sounds like a great price. I was quoted comprehensive at £395 today for SD&P use, unlimited miles, two drivers, keeping my Cali on my driveway from Comfort Insurance with 9 years NCD.

Hello Hantshog,
My circumstances are almost exactly the same as yours except I am 63 and my van is now a year old.

I am Insured through the Caravan Club (just renewed with them)
Comprehensive cover including contents
Legal protection
Protected NCB
Two years new for old gap insurance
£328

As above with CC.
recent £4k claim (non fault claim) and 1st class service.

Just renewed with comfort last week for £265. Didn't have time to shop around but they've always been cheapest for me

Looking like £300 is round about average. Happy with that considering the value of the van. The 2 year gap insurance is a good idea too. Thanks everyone. Roll on March (hopefully).

Looking like £300 is round about average. Happy with that considering the value of the van. The 2 year gap insurance is a good idea too. Thanks everyone. Roll on March (hopefully).
You and me both! :thumb

BTW: my first quote was something similar to the figures mentione above. But the excess was quite high. I asked for a quote with £0 excess and it was only about £40 more, which seemd like a 'no brainer' to me. I think I ended up around £360 with this zero excess and legal protection.

I was with cc&c but moved to safeguard as they cover laptops mobile phone etc which cc&c don't cover & slightly cheaper I believe it is around £300. Location meres a huge difference to premium.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Funny but almost same as for a second vehicle that is x5 cheaper. Don't think European rates are relevant for the UK though.

New T6 204 Ocean 6sp, me = 39years old, 7 years NCD - Comfort Insurance - £249!

Comfort. £320. They told me that the price is the same for 204 or 150 engine. Business use as well for me. Bargain.

New T6 204 Ocean 6sp, me = 39years old, 7 years NCD - Comfort Insurance - £249!
Thats good. Is the excess reasonable and does it include foreign cover? Where did you get such a good deal from?

Nearly £900 on the road with 2yrs NCD (no accidents though). Feel obliged to post this so people don't think £300 is every quote! Just like any insurance policy parking location, age and postcode will play a big part.

The problem with lots of these quotes is that like is not being compared with like.
Ignoring the Driver and location address, what is the Excess, Annual mileage limitations, number of days foreign travel and limitations on leaving the vehicle unattended.
I'm with the CC . No excess, unlimited annual mileage, 270 days foreign travel extended on request for no charge, No limitations on leaving it unattended and New for Old for 2 years if a right off. £390.
Also they are excellent in dealing with claims. Which has been confirmed by a Forum member recently.
Last year I travelled 20,000 miles, spent 116 days outside the UK with the Van and had it parked at Heathrow for a total of 22 days over 3 episodes.

I trust this cost more than the insurance !
No, much cheaper if you know how to work the system. Got it booked in for 20 days in January £101, a lot cheaper than the train fares to get too and from home.:thumb

There's also probably a difference between a Beach and an Ocean.

I'm about to renew our Beach at £177. No limit on EU travel, 8k miles, 10 years NCD and 250 excess. That's with Saga. Looking around Admiral were a similar price but had a restriction on EU travel.

Oh and
Comfort. £320. They told me that the price is the same for 204 or 150 engine. Business use as well for me. Bargain.

So I have to tell comfort if I leave my van for 3 days or more (of course at home doesn't count.) I have business cover and limited mileage to 10,000 pa. it will cost me £50 for unlimited miles. I'm 47.

Another question about insurance, in case anyone knows the answer: we're awaiting delivery in Feb/Mar next year so I can't get a definitive quote yet, but when I phoned my current insurer, they said that because this will be our third vehicle, i.e. my husband and I are still keeping our everyday cars, we aren't eligible for any no claims bonus. Is this the same for all insurers? It seems a bit mean - just because we get another vehicle doesn't mean we are more of a risk, surely? We both have full NCB currently, and I'm not sure how much this will add to our insurance. (Tbh, when you're paying over £50k for a vehicle, it seems petty to moan about such things, but I like to be sensible with the hard-saved money we have!).

Another question about insurance, in case anyone knows the answer: we're awaiting delivery in Feb/Mar next year so I can't get a definitive quote yet, but when I phoned my current insurer, they said that because this will be our third vehicle, i.e. my husband and I are still keeping our everyday cars, we aren't eligible for any no claims bonus. Is this the same for all insurers? It seems a bit mean - just because we get another vehicle doesn't mean we are more of a risk, surely? We both have full NCB currently, and I'm not sure how much this will add to our insurance. (Tbh, when you're paying over £50k for a vehicle, it seems petty to moan about such things, but I like to be sensible with the hard-saved money we have!).
That's typical I'm afraid . I understand one NCB is needed for each vehicle (on conventional policies . . . . May differ on multi-car policies ) . When I started out with my van, the insurer gave me a generous starter discount based on my NCB I'd used on my car.....so it may not be as bad or as absolute as you fear.
You can obviously only drive one at a time, but all three risk being stolen etc.

That's typical I'm afraid . I understand one NCB is needed for each vehicle (on conventional policies . . . . May differ on multi-car policies ) . When I started out with my van, the insurer gave me a generous starter discount based on my NCB I'd used on my car.....so it may not be as bad or as absolute as you fear.
You can obviously only drive one at a time, but all three risk being stolen etc.
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to suck it up!

Back