Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much do you pay for insurance?

The problem with lots of these quotes is that like is not being compared with like.
Ignoring the Driver and location address, what is the Excess, Annual mileage limitations, number of days foreign travel and limitations on leaving the vehicle unattended.
I'm with the CC . No excess, unlimited annual mileage, 270 days foreign travel extended on request for no charge, No limitations on leaving it unattended and New for Old for 2 years if a right off. £390.
Also they are excellent in dealing with claims. Which has been confirmed by a Forum member recently.
Last year I travelled 20,000 miles, spent 116 days outside the UK with the Van and had it parked at Heathrow for a total of 22 days over 3 episodes.
Hi. Going through insurance quotes at present and think your comments are very valid as each case is individual. Regarding the CC, I can't get a quote for unlimited annual mileage with them. Do you know if it was a limited offer?

Hi. Going through insurance quotes at present and think your comments are very valid as each case is individual. Regarding the CC, I can't get a quote for unlimited annual mileage with them. Do you know if it was a limited offer?
Thought it was unlimited, but in fact it was 20,000 with upto 10% leeway. That was fine for me as I'm averaging that per year. They were happy to increase if necessary.

Different country so maybe not interesting however two cars and I can switch my plate from one (Cali CL, 2005, FWD 125k km) to the other (Skoda Octavia 2016, 4WD, 22k km) at any time and both are covered the same way for CHF 1800.-. Insured with AXA Winterthur (quite big around Switzerland).

Different country so maybe not interesting however two cars and I can switch my plate from one (Cali CL, 2005, FWD 125k km) to the other (Skoda Octavia 2016, 4WD, 22k km) at any time and both are covered the same way for CHF 1800.-. Insured with AXA Winterthur (quite big around Switzerland).
So are you saying it's the person who is insured not the vehicle?

So are you saying it's the person who is insured not the vehicle?

It is both. The cars are insured for/against what happen with them (hail, storm,...) and I am insured in case I crash into an other driver/vehicle. This two things are together and the prices depend on the age of the cars and the usual driver. Sorry, hard to explain.
However it sounds like it is different in the UK?

Oh and

So I have to tell comfort if I leave my van for 3 days or more (of course at home doesn't count.) I have business cover and limited mileage to 10,000 pa. it will cost me £50 for unlimited miles. I'm 47.

I have comfort.

Unlimited miles. 3 named drivers, overseas and domestic recovery. £400 approx and makes me happy as one of the named drivers is using my van right now to take another named driver, my Sister, to Mum's, a 300 mile drive through hell (M25 - M1 - M62). It leaves me staying at home walking my doggies and finishing an update/rewrite to one of my books in peace and quiet :D

I have never understood the notification requirement for leaving the vehicle unattended for three days or more other than at home but it doesn't affect me so I have never worried about it.

Lots of insurers would not do it as I do not have another vehicle or a partner (?) it is on a driveway in London as I walk to work usually. I have full protected NCB but have had a sizeable claim which was my fault (bollard gate!) I do pay about £500 but have extended over 60 nights away in Europe and about 8000 yearly mileage. To be honest that is cheaper than I paid on the VW Sharan I had before to drive Mum around in her wheelchair which wasn't nearly so much fun! I am with Just Kampers. I will have to get another vehicle in the next couple of years as my daughter will want to learn to drive and you can't insure one if these for under 25's and learning to park it which ironically is probably easier than a small car!

Quick update on Comfort insurance.
Only a small thing but due to error by VW and my Cali being built wrongly I had to contact them re changes from original to temporary and then back to the original spec and again change of number plate.
They did not charge for for any changes giving the reason that it was outside my control.
Very easy to do and hassle free.

Mike

Just moved from Admiral to Comfort. 20+ years NCB, 8k miles per annum, full EU cover, £5k of contents cover and one named driver for only £287. Couldn't be happier...

Renewed with Comfort, £254, 8k miles per year, only driver. Only 1 year NC Bonus on this policy and at an age where insurance gets cheap.

As Verity touched on you can't use NCB on more than one vehicle which meant when I got another car last year I thought life was going to get very expensive!
Found Admiral multi car came out well and even made it worth cancelling policies I had in place based on cancellation charges to move all policies.
Just got a Cali Ocean which I added onto the policy with 8K miles and Buisness. With the additional discount on the other 3 cars already on the policy cost me a total of £8 for the next 9 months. Without business they would have paid me £1.35!! Was shocked but happy.

Just hope that there are no big shocks when it comes to the renewal.

Other thing to note when I was searching around last year for insurance I found it cheaper to have 8K miles than 2 or 3k miles.

Just been on the comfort website and when I do an online quote it says I need either a Thatcham cat1 security device or a tracker before it will quote. Is this just a comfort thing are all insurers the same?

As Verity touched on you can't use NCB on more than one vehicle which meant when I got another car last year I thought life was going to get very expensive!
Found Admiral multi car came out well and even made it worth cancelling policies I had in place based on cancellation charges to move all policies.
Just got a Cali Ocean which I added onto the policy with 8K miles and Buisness. With the additional discount on the other 3 cars already on the policy cost me a total of £8 for the next 9 months. Without business they would have paid me £1.35!! Was shocked but happy.

Just hope that there are no big shocks when it comes to the renewal.

Other thing to note when I was searching around last year for insurance I found it cheaper to have 8K miles than 2 or 3k miles.
I was with Admiral but they don't insure any vehicle with onboard water so the ocean is not covered but the beach is.

I'm looking for insurance that will give me 365 days European cover The best I can find is the Caravan Club who will give me 270 days. I'm wondering if I can insure with them from 1 March, go away from early June 2017 until early June 2018 with just two weeks in the UK, renewing on 1 March next year, and keeping under 270 days within one insurance period.

If this is the case, with 270 days European cover, the longest continuous time overseas would be 540 days, with a policy beginning 95 days before going to Europe, and renewal after 270 days overseas.

The quote was for £270 for me and my wife, 9+ years NCD.

Just been on the comfort website and when I do an online quote it says I need either a Thatcham cat1 security device or a tracker before it will quote. Is this just a comfort thing are all insurers the same?

Not sure, but if you go to the Thatcham web site it lists the California OE as being a Cat.1 graded alarm/immobiliser.

I'm looking for insurance that will give me 365 days European cover The best I can find is the Caravan Club who will give me 270 days. I'm wondering if I can insure with them from 1 March, go away from early June 2017 until early June 2018 with just two weeks in the UK, renewing on 1 March next year, and keeping under 270 days within one insurance period.

If this is the case, with 270 days European cover, the longest continuous time overseas would be 540 days, with a policy beginning 95 days before going to Europe, and renewal after 270 days overseas.

The quote was for £270 for me and my wife, 9+ years NCD.
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We have schemes that can offer 365 days of European cover. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Thats good to know Mike. And I believe your spec is similar to mine. £300 sounds reasonable for such a pricey vehicle. I will contact all the usual suspects when it eventually arrives.
Hello,
I am buying a 2yr old California 140 for 40,000. I have no previous claims and have been driving for 40 years with a clean licence. Adrian Flux have just quoted me £894. It's a lot more than I expected. Can you advise me?

The problem with lots of these quotes is that like is not being compared with like.
Ignoring the Driver and location address, what is the Excess, Annual mileage limitations, number of days foreign travel and limitations on leaving the vehicle unattended.
I'm with the CC . No excess, unlimited annual mileage, 270 days foreign travel extended on request for no charge, No limitations on leaving it unattended and New for Old for 2 years if a right off. £390.
Also they are excellent in dealing with claims. Which has been confirmed by a Forum member recently.
Last year I travelled 20,000 miles, spent 116 days outside the UK with the Van and had it parked at Heathrow for a total of 22 days over 3 episodes.
Hi WelshGas, can you give me the details of CC. I got a quote from Adran Flux for nearly £900. I'd be grateful for any information and/or advice. Thanks Juliet

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We have schemes that can offer 365 days of European cover. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
Hi Dan,
Your company has just quoted me nearly £900 for cover for the Cali I'm in the process of buying. I have a clean licence and have been driving for over 40 years. The person who is selling the Cali recommended Adrian Flux and I believe he paid about £500 less than the quote I received over the phone. I'd be very grateful if you would get back to me and give me an explanation. My email address is julietalewis@+++++.com.
Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.
Juliet Lewis

Based on other experiences here, I'd be surprised if you don't get a quote for about £290. Caravan Club, Camping & Camping Club, Safeguard (?) and Comfort all should be checked before paying anything North of £300.

£900 for someone in your situation is a joke (based on everything I've read here for 3 years).

Hi WelshGas, can you give me the details of CC. I got a quote from Adran Flux for nearly £900. I'd be grateful for any information and/or advice. Thanks Juliet
I paid £400, with minimum excess and annual mileage of 20,000. Maximum NCB and retired.
Could have got it a lot cheaper by increasing excess and restricting mileage.
You do get New for Old for 2 years with a New Registered Vehicle.

I would check out the reviews for Adrian Flux.

Juliet
I confirm what others have said I am also with the CC and pay around £350. Also found them 1st class when making a claim. last year I had a non fault claim and they supported my £4000 repair via VW approved body shop and hire car before 3rd party had even reported to his insurance company. Lots of lack of understanding from 3rd party re value of a 2012 Cali so I had the back up of CC (AXA) while they were slowing the process down which took them the best part of 4 months to pay my insurance company.

Hi Dan,
Your company has just quoted me nearly £900 for cover for the Cali I'm in the process of buying. I have a clean licence and have been driving for over 40 years. The person who is selling the Cali recommended Adrian Flux and I believe he paid about £500 less than the quote I received over the phone. I'd be very grateful if you would get back to me and give me an explanation. My email address is julietalewis@+++++.com.
Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.
Juliet Lewis

Good morning Juliet,

Thanks for the post.

Could you possibly drop me a PM with your full name, date of birth and post code? I can then trace this quotation and arrange for it to be looked into. Without looking at the exact details it is difficult to comment however it does sound above average as we are usually extremely competitive on these types of vehicle.

Kind regards,
Dan.

As Cali will hopefully be with us soon, I've entered the minefield of insurance. It's slightly complicated by the fact that Mr B is changing his job soon, but having given them all the same details the quotes I've had are CMC £310.08, Safeguard £441.94, CCC £411.21 and Comfort won't quote as we will park Cali on a public road.

Once we've got Cali and Mr B has got his new job sorted, this may change but CMC are looking favourite at the moment.

Back