Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much do you pay for insurance?

Similar situation with parking on the road - we found the benefit of Safeguard to be unlimited mileage.

Similar situation with parking on the road - we found the benefit of Safeguard to be unlimited mileage.
One of the things that's still up in the air with Mr B's new job is that he may require business use. Safeguard were the only one that said they would get back to their underwriter to see if they would add it but it wasn't a definite 'no' like the others. Hey ho, let's hope Mr B gets his job sorted out before we need to insure Cali!

As Cali will hopefully be with us soon, I've entered the minefield of insurance. It's slightly complicated by the fact that Mr B is changing his job soon, but having given them all the same details the quotes I've had are CMC £310.08, Safeguard £441.94, CCC £411.21 and Comfort won't quote as we will park Cali on a public road.

Once we've got Cali and Mr B has got his new job sorted, this may change but CMC are looking favourite at the moment.
The other advantage with the CMC is that they include two years new for old insurance. So if your brand new Cali is written off or stolen within the first two years they will replace it with another new one of the same spec.

I've just had an interesting conversation with Saga - insurers of our current car and even though I was totally unimpressed with the way they handled a false claim last year, I thought I would give them a chance to quote. Me 'I would like a quote for campervan insurance please'. Him 'Is that a Motorhome', Me 'No it's a campervan', Him ' Is that a Motorhome', Me 'No, it's a VW campervan', Him 'Sorry I need to check with my supervisor if we insure campervans'. I'm put on hold for a while. Him 'Sorry, I've checked and we don't cover campervans'. Me 'Are you sure as I know of people who have insured their campervans with you', Him 'Yes, quite sure, sorry, we can't insure a campervan'. Yes, definitely an insurance minefield!

The other advantage with the CMC is that they include two years new for old insurance. So if your brand new Cali is written off or stolen within the first two years they will replace it with another new one of the same spec.
Yes we like that too. The dealer was suggesting GAP insurance but when we told him about the CMC new for old he agreed it was a good option.

I've just had an interesting conversation with Saga - insurers of our current car and even though I was totally unimpressed with the way they handled a false claim last year, I thought I would give them a chance to quote. Me 'I would like a quote for campervan insurance please'. Him 'Is that a Motorhome', Me 'No it's a campervan', Him ' Is that a Motorhome', Me 'No, it's a VW campervan', Him 'Sorry I need to check with my supervisor if we insure campervans'. I'm put on hold for a while. Him 'Sorry, I've checked and we don't cover campervans'. Me 'Are you sure as I know of people who have insured their campervans with you', Him 'Yes, quite sure, sorry, we can't insure a campervan'. Yes, definitely an insurance minefield!
I had similar experience but only after I'd been on the phone giving them all my details and then to be told "We can't insure your camper van". Grrrr......wasting mine and their time. Went with Comfort in the end (I know that's not an option for you).

I can thoroughly recommend NFU Mutual Direct. Their initial quote for me, at £490, was only a little higher than Comfort and as an insurer they are wonderful to deal with - we've had a couple of claims with them and they look after you so well.

The cover I have with NFU for above premium includes unlimited European cover, two years new for old, unlimited mileage including business use, no excess and protected no claims bonus. Pretty competitive, I reckon ...

And, like I say, their treatment of you with a claim makes ALL the difference.

£384 with LV insurance fully comp, with admittedly full no claims. £12k miles a year and full business use.

The problem with comparing like for like is where you live and park it can make a massive difference to the premium, its not all about the driver/drivers. Adding my parter actually reduced my premium despite her having two (non-fault) accidents in the past few years.

The problem with comparing like for like is where you live and park it can make a massive difference to the premium, its not all about the driver/drivers. Adding my parter actually reduced my premium despite her having two (non-fault) accidents in the past few years.
Very occasionally Clare takes our car, or now van, away at the weekend and I borrow my parents' second car on the condition that I pay the additional premium. On the last occasion my father received a refund from his insurers of 58p (he didn't offer the refund to me).

Back