Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to disable alarm?

stephen watson

stephen watson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent, but every so often I come across a seemingly simple problem I can't work out how to solve, despite reading the manual/searching the internet etc. Last night we endeared ourselves to our French neighbours by the Cali alarm going off every hour or so - for no apparent reason. It's a T6 Ocean and we were not sleeping in it. I can't work out how to disable the alarm system but still lock the vehicle, when parked and not inside it. Eventually the only way I could silence it permanently was by leaving it unlocked. There wasn't anything like a fly inside and there was no disturbance to the vehicle.I'm not sure, but I think it was because the engine battery had been run down, by leaving something plugged into the dash UBS. In the manual it says low battery can upset the alarm and I've experienced this with my Skoda in the past.

The manual tells you how to disable the interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm only. The internet throws up info about double pressing the lock remote - but it's not in the manual.

So can someone more intelligent, please explain how to lock the vehicle, with the alarm disabled, in a manner which will work if the battery is low? Thanks.

We have a 2020 Coast. On the inside of the drivers side door pillar just below seat height there is a rocker switch that does just what you want……. I stumbled across it when trying to isolate the van alarm on a car ferry……does your have this switch?

We have a 2020 Coast. On the inside of the drivers side door pillar just below seat height there is a rocker switch that does just what you want……. I stumbled across it when trying to isolate the van alarm on a car ferry……does your have this switch?

It’s good but if you shut the door / reopen (ie someone forgets to take a bag out), you have to lock/unlock, open drivers door & push the button again - it can only be pressed once (on T5.1.) but might be different on later models.

The trouble is that the light changes colour from red to yellow, and is not so easy to see…so you need to stick your head in the van to doublecheck…on a busy ferry it can be PITA!

Last edited:
As at @chockswahay mentions, in a T6 there is a button in the B pillar. This is removed for the T6.1 and you need to use the double button press.

It’s good but if you shut the door / reopen (ie someone forgets to take a bag out), you have to lock/unlock, open drivers door & push the button again - it can only be pressed once (on T5.1.)
Not the case for a T6. It stays in the set position. Very handy when leaving dogs in the van for a short period at motorway services or camping. I miss it on the T6.1.

It’s good but if you shut the door / reopen (ie someone forgets to take a bag out), you have to lock/unlock, open drivers door & push the button again - it can only be pressed once (on T5.1.)
I think (?) ours works until engine started then resets to normal

Not the case for a T6. It stays in the set position. Very handy when leaving dogs in the van for a short period at motorway services or camping. I miss it on the T6.1.

That’s great that VW have improved it

Thank you everyone for all your replies - what a great forum. I don't have Carista. My conclusion from the above and rereading the manual, is that all I can do is to press the button on the driver's pillar and then lock with one press of the remote outside. (As per manual - deactivating interior monitor and anti tow).
I'm not sure if that will solve the problem of the alarm going off due to a voltage drop of the engine battery, but definitely worth trying. There is no mention of double pressing the remote in the manual to lock but deactivate the alarm - I wonder if this was pre T6? I have tried double pressing the lock on my remote and I can't find any discernible difference....

Thank you everyone for all your replies - what a great forum. I don't have Carista. My conclusion from the above and rereading the manual, is that all I can do is to press the button on the driver's pillar and then lock with one press of the remote outside. (As per manual - deactivating interior monitor and anti tow).
I'm not sure if that will solve the problem of the alarm going off due to a voltage drop of the engine battery, but definitely worth trying. There is no mention of double pressing the remote in the manual to lock but deactivate the alarm - I wonder if this was pre T6? I have tried double pressing the lock on my remote and I can't find any discernible difference....
I think I found it (double click without the B pillar button) and posted on another thread. In any case I have been doing it for almost 18 mths with no alarm going off. (And on the ferry from Newcastle on Thursday / Friday there was a LOT of alarms going off in relatively still waters).
I think, as you have also suggested, this may be overruled by low engine battery alarm. Which in most circumstances would be ok. Just not overnight on a campsite.

I don't believe it will help if the engine battery is low. That is more a warning that vehicle security is compromised.

Press the button on the door pillar and when it is lit close the door and press the key fob button once. The doors lock with a single click (Ta-dah) and the alarm is disabled and the doors single locked (the immobiliser apparently is set). I can testify to this as I often do this when using the ferries to visit the Scottish Isles.
On my T6 this condition is set until you press the button on the door pillar again so the light (on the button) goes off. Then close the door and press the key fob button once. The doors lock with a double click (Ta-dah Ta-dah) and the alarm sets.
I think, but am not sure, that two presses of the key fob button simply disables the double, or deadlock, on the doors.
It's how it works on my T6 and hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim. I think you are correct and I agree if double click does anything at all maybe it only disables the deadlock. I'm now pretty sure the cause of my alarm going off was the engine battery reducing due to a charger being plugged in to the socket beneath the radio and not simply the low battery voltage itself (when I removed the charger it solved the problem, even though the voltage was low).
I've found it interesting from this thread that there is no actual way to simply turn off the alarm system (from all causes), except perhaps carista.

Thanks Tim. I think you are correct and I agree if double click does anything at all maybe it only disables the deadlock. I'm now pretty sure the cause of my alarm going off was the engine battery reducing due to a charger being plugged in to the socket beneath the radio and not simply the low battery voltage itself (when I removed the charger it solved the problem, even though the voltage was low).
I've found it interesting from this thread that there is no actual way to simply turn off the alarm system (from all causes), except perhaps carista.
Actually I think you can, but I'm not sure this is by design as it's also possible to lock your keys in like this. I discovered it by accident on a night trip to the "shower block", imagine the fun being locked out at night... Fortunately I hadn't locked the other doors, you can imagine my relief...

Take the keys out the ignition, lock the doors by the button on the drivers door. Then leave by the side door by operating the door latch twice (once to unlock and again to open), lock the side door by depressing the button on the inside. Close door.

If, like me, you close the side door from the outside by using the inside handle it is possible to knock the locking button by accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be off beam here but on ferries I always lock with the key assuming that doesn’t activate the tow away alarm?

On the subject of alarms, on my T6 I tried opening the driver's door with my spare key (no remote), thinking that there is a transponder in it. Woke up all the neighbours on the campsite! Panic scramble to grab the remote to stop it. What's the point of a spare key if the bus thinks you are breaking in?

If you're inside the
I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent, but every so often I come across a seemingly simple problem I can't work out how to solve, despite reading the manual/searching the internet etc. Last night we endeared ourselves to our French neighbours by the Cali alarm going off every hour or so - for no apparent reason. It's a T6 Ocean and we were not sleeping in it. I can't work out how to disable the alarm system but still lock the vehicle, when parked and not inside it. Eventually the only way I could silence it permanently was by leaving it unlocked. There wasn't anything like a fly inside and there was no disturbance to the vehicle.I'm not sure, but I think it was because the engine battery had been run down, by leaving something plugged into the dash UBS. In the manual it says low battery can upset the alarm and I've experienced this with my Skoda in the past.

The manual tells you how to disable the interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm only. The internet throws up info about double pressing the lock remote - but it's not in the manual.

So can someone more intelligent, please explain how to lock the vehicle, with the alarm disabled, in a manner which will work if the battery is low? Thanks.
vehicle you can flick the switch on the drivers door, vehicle remains locked but alarm is deactivated. Mind you that's on a 2015 Cali

On the subject of alarms, on my T6 I tried opening the driver's door with my spare key (no remote), thinking that there is a transponder in it. Woke up all the neighbours on the campsite! Panic scramble to grab the remote to stop it. What's the point of a spare key if the bus thinks you are breaking in?
You can take it swimming and leave the remote locked/hidden in the vehicle.

For those just looking to disable internal monitoring on T6.1 now that the button has gone from the B pillar, it is a menu option that can be unticked on the "opening and closing " page in settings

20220806_113728.jpg

For those just looking to disable internal monitoring on T6.1 now that the button has gone from the B pillar, it is a menu option that can be unticked on the "opening and closing " page in settings

View attachment 97335
Does it stay switched off or do you need to reset it every time? (Interior monitoring)

Does it stay switched off or do you need to reset it every time? (Interior monitoring)
Good shout. I'm not sure. I assumed it turned it off permanently, like the other options in the same screen. I'll have a test!

Back