Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to hold down your awning legs without pegs

There is another difficulty with directly pegging the awning feet.
The hard standing on Camping Club sites is often ballast laid on a plastic grid under. Once you have a peg through that it is almost impossible to withdraw it. I have had to take a hacksaw to one to free the leg.
A decent claw hammer will always get a peg out.

I take a club hammer but not a claw hammer as well. But even so I'm surprised a claw hammer would fit between the leg and the peg. My experience attempting to lever out pegs suggest that even a claw hammer may not have the leverage to shift a peg in that position.
Not tried it though, have you?
Yes, claw hammer no problem. Once the peg starts to come out you may need a block of wood to get the right purchase for the final pull. Never failed so far.

Springs just allow a bit of give, so will ease the strain on the awning / awning mounts in strong winds.
Springs allow a bit of give so that the peg won‘t be slowly be pulled out.
An awning can catch a lot more wind acting as a sail compared to a closed tent. A guy rope would be useful but not as strong holding such greater wind power acting on an awning vs. a closed off tent.

Springs allow a bit of give so that the peg won‘t be slowly be pulled out.
An awning can catch a lot more wind acting as a sail compared to a closed tent. A guy rope would be useful but not as strong holding such greater wind power acting on an awning vs. a closed off tent.
It would depend on the orientation of the Awning to the wind.
If the leading edge is above the cassette., Yes, but if below possibly not.

I sometimes use this, although its not peg free.
PP16_project.jpg
Not my fingers. It was a pic dragged off the web.

At last, a method of holding down the awning without pegs.
Having looked longingly at the cast iron weights in the professional markets to hold down the legs of their awnings I was shaken by the price. But then found a much cheaper (er, more economic option) on the internet.
We have been here at Canterbury for a couple of days and they seem to be working well and fulfilling their function.
They are heavy (concrete clad in plastic) but easy to store in the van and to carry around. They are not huge either. They were incredibly easy to fitView attachment 82938View attachment 82937View attachment 82937View attachment 82937View attachment 82937View attachment 82937View attachment 82937View attachment 82937
So far feeling chuffed with them.
Nice set up - just wondering where you got the additional small and large table?

Good question! We were given the little table as a gift ( for the essential role of drinks table). It probably came from a camping shop as it folds down to a block 4”x4”x 12” approx and comes in a nice little canvas bag just the right shape as long as you have folded the table properly, if not much swearing takes place as it is a tight fit.
The big white table also came from a camping shop, sorry I forget where, we have had both a long time.
The drinks table is very fiddly and takes longer to put up than the big table but as long as you do them in the right order you can put your glass on the big table until the little one is ready! Priorities!

There is another difficulty with directly pegging the awning feet.
The hard standing on Camping Club sites is often ballast laid on a plastic grid under. Once you have a peg through that it is almost impossible to withdraw it. I have had to take a hacksaw to one to free the leg.
Always found a Tent Peg puller did the job over 50 odd years of pulling them out, even ones left by previous site users.
Usually just use a big wire type peg inverted to pull other pegs out.

Always found a Tent Peg puller did the job over 50 odd years of pulling them out, even ones left by previous site users.

I was about to post the same, I've never failed to get a peg out with the puller and if the peg is really stubborn, you have the option of putting a longer lever through the puller handle although I don't think I've ever needed to do that.

Also, as above though, if it's windy I normally wind the awning in, no point waking up worrying about it as the wind picks up in the night.

Interesting. I normally have no problem pulling out pegs without a peg puller, although it looks an interesting bit of kit. The only place I experience difficulty is some Camping Club hardstandings where they have a rigid plastic sheet under the ballast. Looking at the number of other pegs left in these areas I'm not the only one. Hence my weights. Quick, easy, clean and adequate (although they did cost a bit more than a peg puller!)

Currently at an undisclosed CAMC site in Scotland. No way there’s any rock peg on Earth going into this hardstanding, let alone worrying about getting it out again! Three corners of the shelter pegged down on the grass, weights holding the last one. Vindicated!

3e7e0bfd760c0f8296a9c103dc3534b5.jpg

ead89f5abb01a31ba1f8956c9965f858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently at an undisclosed CAMC site in Scotland. No way there’s any rock peg on Earth going into this hardstanding, let alone worrying about getting it out again! Three corners of the shelter pegged down on the grass, weights holding the last one. Vindicated!

3e7e0bfd760c0f8296a9c103dc3534b5.jpg

ead89f5abb01a31ba1f8956c9965f858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never had a problem on CAMC pitches with a gravel hardstanding area, using quality rock pegs.

View attachment 83011
This is my solution to holding the awning firm in windy weather where you can’t peg it down. It is also good for keeping awning legs out the way of dogs on leads. But you cant open the drivers door without putting the leg on the floor and
drunk people do try to walk into them. It’s an expensive option as I upgraded the awning legs to the three piece ones (you can get from the club shop) but worth it for me.
This is genius. No need to even pack it away when you drive somewhere

I am absolutely loving this. Looking to copy (sincerest form of flattery and all that....).

I believe I've found the seasucker mount and wall brackets you're referring to, looks like a straightforward enough fix - hopefully!

Curious about strength in that position. I mean i guess the wall brackets existence suggests the awning is designed to be used in this way but I'm thinking about how having the legs at that angle offers less support in the vertical plane. Do you see increased movement in the awning when used like this would you say?

Also quick question on the legs if you don't mind. You reference 3 part legs which I can't find and it seems like my standard ones would be long enough to reach back to the van when fully extended. Am I missing something here?

Many thanks, loving your work!!

Back