I hope the answer is No.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I just noticed on the Marco Polo Forum a new thread about Towing a Smart car behind a Marco Polo on holiday!

I can understand, just, a large Motorhome doing it but a “ Cali “ sized vehicle :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

I wonder if we have any closet Smart Car towers on this Forum?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh goodness.....

towing a smart car?

Really?

A BMW I-3 at minimum :shocked Let's have some class please :sad

We saw a plethora of motorhomes towing trailers with cars loaded in southern Spain over the winter. And a splattering of huge coach sized motorhomes with inbuilt garages.

If spending a few months in winter in a motorhome it makes good sense. We hauled bikes around Europe for a similar reason.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I spent some time travelling around California with a family friend in his converted Greyhound bus, towing his Ford pickup. One time he forgot to switch the Fords engine off, towed for about 100 miles on tick over.

I spent some time travelling around California with a family friend in his converted Greyhound bus, towing his Ford pickup. One time he forgot to switch the Fords engine off, towed for about 100 miles on tick over.

ROFL. Gotta wonder what the combined fuel consumption was. Miles per gallon or vice versa?
:rolleyes:

We saw a plethora of motorhomes towing trailers with cars loaded in southern Spain over the winter. And a splattering of huge coach sized motorhomes with inbuilt garages.
Why not save tens of thousands of pounds and have more space by using a car and caravan if long term camping and towing a car?

ROFL. Gotta wonder what the combined fuel consumption was. Miles per gallon or vice versa?
:rolleyes:
Hate to think, but being in the USA and in the 80's, mpg wasn't a major concern (unlike here).

Yes I tow a smart behind my cali.

Why do you hope the answer is NO ?????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Because it takes 10 minutes to wind the Awning in and lower the roof and go out for the day and park with the cars.
If you had a Motorhome I could understand but a California/Marco Polo :Iamsorry I just don't get it.

just noticed on the Marco Polo Forum a new thread about Towing a Smart car behind a Marco Polo on holiday!
When the MP breaks down it can be towed by the Smart car?

Because it takes 10 minutes to wind the Awning in and lower the roof and go out for the day and park with the cars.
If you had a Motorhome I could understand but a California/Marco Polo :Iamsorry I just don't get it.

I could think of numerous use-cases, all of them 'valid' even though they wouldn't apply to me. Eg, if...

1. I holiday with young adult children who want to be able to go off for the day doing whatever it is that 'the yoof' do.

2. I want to get my teenage son (who is too expensive to insure on the Cali) to be able to drive me back from the pub down the road from the campsite, when I've had a bellyful of Old Stoat Throttler or Barfendorfer Pils or whatever.

3. I particularly enjoy city visits while touring but have a strong moral problem with killing babies with my Nox/PM10 emissions from the Cali so I take the Smart to be able enjoy guilt-free day trips.

4. I love driving the Smart, rather than a lumbering builder's van, and don't want to leave it behind when I'm on holiday.

4. I just enjoy the looks I get and having people wonder why I tow a Smart behind my Cali.

5. I just don't give a sh*t what people think about what I tow behind my Cali.

Or more likely, some other more plausible and rational reason, that I just don't happen to have thought of yet.
:happy

Seriously though, I've been investigating options for towing my classic car to rallies on the continent. But on a trailer.

We were camped up in one spot for 14 days recently.
The idea of getting a hire car for a few days was mentioned.
The cost would´ve been 60 quid for 4 days.

Yes you can de-camp in a short time but it is a bit of a ball-ache once
you´re all set up.
We didn´t this time but may do next time.

Each to their own.

To me at first sight towing any car behind the Cali loses the point of the Cali or any other camper, that of being able to go anywhere a car could and not tow things behind you to live in, but we each have our own lifestyle requirements.

I can well see the attraction of camp set up somewhere, awning up, all chilled out and not wanting to pack everything up. One of my very rare delights is finding myself parked up for a few days and everywhere within walking distance. Chill! Lovely to come back to my little home from home on wheels all set up and waiting for me.

Not quite my lifestyle, has happened probably half a dozen times in the last 5 years I've not had to pack the Cali up to go somewhere, but then, I'm sure it is for many.

Each to their own.

To me at first sight towing any car behind the Cali loses the point of the Cali or any other camper, that of being able to go anywhere a car could and not tow things behind you to live in, but we each have our own lifestyle requirements.

I can well see the attraction of camp set up somewhere, awning up, all chilled out and not wanting to pack everything up. One of my very rare delights is finding myself parked up for a few days and everywhere within walking distance. Chill! Lovely to come back to my little home from home on wheels all set up and waiting for me.

Not quite my lifestyle, has happened probably half a dozen times in the last 5 years I've not had to pack the Cali up to go somewhere, but then, I'm sure it is for many.
Just wait until we start on Campers towing Eribas!

I'm still entertaining the thought of a CAMC site warden grudgingly accepting Alfie towing Angela and sharing the same pitch when I turn up in a hire car to park in front of the two :shocked

A few years ago we towed a Smart Car on a Smart Trailer behind our motorhome. These day, with a Cali, we just tow a trailer to carry all the things we 'might just' need!!!!!!

36909_434665554881_1080963_n.jpg

Exactly what's parked next tone me in a field near Cheltenham. There's only the two of them and they have a big awning as well!

As long as people obey the law of the land and treat others with courtesy and respect then surely they should be free to do what they like?

Yes! And what we like clearly is having a laugh at what we consider to be other peoples' peculiarities! ;)
Just a bit of fun really...... not meant in a malicious way.

We rarely stop for more than a couple of nights in one place but if we did stay for stay for a week or so in the UK I would seriously consider taking our MG Midget on an A frame. Nothing like running round in it in summer.

Back