Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz

I read elsewhere that BMW have told their dealers to cease discounts on ICE vehicles, no doubt to close the gap between ICE and EV prices.
And thereby allow them to meet their draconian gov imposed quotas.

I read elsewhere that BMW have told their dealers to cease discounts on ICE vehicles, no doubt to close the gap between ICE and EV prices.
Mercedes seem to be doing the opposite according to some of the adverts I’ve seen.

Skoda are now selling their electric cars direct. Looks like the contract is with Skoda GB rather than the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volvo do this and Landrover are going that way with their premium brands

So in order to meet their quote the vehicle manufacturers will have to convince the public to buy them instead of the Public being forced to buy them by Government dictat, even though it is only a 5 yr extension.
Dont need convincing just correct pricing. I bought an ID3 First Edition in Dec 2020 for 28.5k. Please tell me how they think the ID Buzz is at 65k ....... hence they are a hard sell

Dont need convincing just correct pricing. I bought an ID3 First Edition in Dec 2020 for 28.5k. Please tell me how they think the ID Buzz is at 65k ....... hence they are a hard sell
Isn't that convincing the Public that they are getting value for money? After all the manufacturers have already stated EV's are easier to build and maintain hence the fact that their manufacturing workforce will reduce so lower manufacturing costs but no evidence of that at the point of sale?

Being told by a retailer that it's got to be an EV or nothing would have only one conclusion. I would either shop elsewhere or keep my current ICE car. I will not be forced into EV ownership and I suspect I am not alone.

Being told by a retailer that it's got to be an EV or nothing would have only one conclusion. I would either shop elsewhere or keep my current ICE car. I will not be forced into EV ownership and I suspect I am not alone.

We run both, so get the best of both worlds. Each have their pros & cons.

We run both, so get the best of both worlds. Each have their pros & cons.
As long as it works for you then that's fine.

For me at least, it's becoming increasingly difficult to see what exactly the pros are for running an EV. Aparently, they are more expensive to buy, are quickly losing those initial EV honeymoon subsidies, they depreciate faster, are becoming more expensive to insure, are dependant on a clunky and patchy charging infrastructure and aparently all this pain is necessary because of their arguably dubious environmental benefits.

Yes, they have a part to play in inner cities where air pollution is a concern, but elsewhere?

I live out in the sticks and own six vehicles, three modern and three historic. Not very carbon friendly some would say. However, the historic vehicles are just about the greenest it's possible for any vehicle to be. All three are over 100 years old and do less than 500 miles a year.

As for the moderns, we have a 2019 Euro 6, two litre diesel California T6 Beach, a 2019 Euro 6, two litre diesel Mercedes E class Cabriolet and a 2005 Skoda Fabia 1.4 tdi diesel hatch. The Cali and the Merc do an average of less than 3000 miles pa each and the skoda around 12000 miles pa. The latter was my late father's car and is worth only a few hundred pounds. It does an average of 60mpg and costs peanuts to insure, tax and run. You can leave it anywhere and it is totally reliable.

I am not looking to replace any of these vehicles but if I were, what possible advantage would I gain from buying an EV. Let us not kid ourselves, I certainly wouldn't be helping to save the planet by doing so. Instead, I would be well out of pocket and would likely be giving myself a regular charging headache which I don't currently have. I would also be helping to put many hundreds of thousands out of work.

Last edited:
From the Economist 23 Nov 2023. Aviation growth in India.

Screenshot_20240107-180215.pngScreenshot_20240107-180316.png
Screenshot_20240107-180302.png

It doesn’t give a projection of air miles per capita with Europe and the US. I expect that if it did, US would rank #1 by some margin over Europe and some considerable margin over India.

Still, it would be nice if India was investing heavily in a high speed rail network as China has.

2b8368a64e7fe26b2d7e8f5a79a7d5c3.jpg

Not the result I expected, with the UK ahead of the US. But India still trails badly.

Isn't that convincing the Public that they are getting value for money? After all the manufacturers have already stated EV's are easier to build and maintain hence the fact that their manufacturing workforce will reduce so lower manufacturing costs but no evidence of that at the point of sale?
VW pricing seems to be wayward at the moment. I think they sit in a smart room, drinking expensive coffee, with their degree in business, and pluck a figure out of their head that they believe the market will take. Well obviously the market dictates that.....

Breeze told me that they have no problem with selling them. 5 were offered by JCT on the Facebook Group, all in stock , £7500 off and low rate finance.

The ID5 is even worse and discounted to circa 14k

Need to reclaim all that emission scandal money they lost.
Been penny pinching for years and conning us with cambelt servicing hopefully a mass claim suit for that next!

Need to reclaim all that emission scandal money they lost.
Been penny pinching for years and conning us with cambelt servicing hopefully a mass claim suit for that next!
Despite a claims bill, VW had a record sales after the emissions scandal.

That’s because they make a good product but the prices now have to include extra to grab back that money they paid out:headbang
VAG used to make a good product, but after just having our slave cylinder, clutch, dmf replaced at 37K miles, plus usual cambelt / waterpump farce at 27K miles, seeing small roof corrosion each time I get into the van, and reading about leaky canvas on brand new vans...I'm not so sure anymore, to me looks like they are using cheaper parts to maximise profit and charging more for the van.

That said still a nice van to drive!

Plenty more pip squeezing to come - https://www.reuters.com/business/au...-bln-euros-2024-cost-cutting-drive-2023-12-19

"The measures, which come after two months of talks amid intensifying competition in the electric age, include speeding up development and production times, reducing staff costs and implementing a more efficient procurement strategy" (Rush development, hack staff and R&D costs, hack supply chain costs). Time will tell if performance and quality get a look in.

Do you have the stats for miles, rather than number of trips, too?
2018... a little old now

VAG used to make a good product, but after just having our slave cylinder, clutch, dmf replaced at 37K miles, plus usual cambelt / waterpump farce at 27K miles, seeing small roof corrosion each time I get into the van, and reading about leaky canvas on brand new vans...I'm not so sure anymore, to me looks like they are using cheaper parts to maximise profit and charging more for the van.

That said still a nice van to drive!
Had 8 VW vans over the years now got a jimny and looking at Ford transit trails as VW prices are crazyo_O

Back