Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz

you've got to burn stuff in the diggers to get the battery ingredients out of the ground.

If he plants a couple of trees, he'll be ok...;)

Just had an email from our dealer about the build status of our ID.Buzz 1st Edition order.
" Confirmed production week 40 (3rd October), but still suffering component issues, so don't have a delivery date yet". The original delivery date was 31st January 2023. So it looks like VW are running a little ahead of schedule.

I do
I would image, gas/diesel heating and cooking will be a thing of the past.
I'm not a purist. I don't see the sense in heating food and self from a battery, just because I'm getting rid of a diesel motor and tank. It doesn't mean that I have to throw away the gas grill and stove.

Just had an email from our dealer about the build status of our ID.Buzz 1st Edition order.
" Confirmed production week 40 (3rd October), but still suffering component issues, so don't have a delivery date yet". The original delivery date was 31st January 2023. So it looks like VW are running a little ahead of schedule.

That’s brilliant news. I hope mines not far behind. We have no California now and really need our new bus.
I think our 1st edition was originally estimated at March, so hopefully that moves closer…

ID Buzz manufacture has taken off. Last time I visited the factory I saw 4. Now the parking lots are swamped by milk floats. I still see T6.1, multi vans etc but ICE is losing the battle. The lots were full suggesting supply issues have all but been resolved.idbuzz.jpgid.jpg

ID Buzz manufacture has taken off. Last time I visited the factory I saw 4. Now the parking lots are swamped by milk floats. I still see T6.1, multi vans etc but ICE is losing the battle. The lots were full suggesting supply issues have all but been resolved.View attachment 100105View attachment 100106
No. They're all parked up waiting to use the EV Charger. The few T6.1's are just waiting for their drivers to finish Mittagessen.:Iamsorry

The T6.1s can’t afford a tank of fuel so they’re stuck in the car park, at least that’s how I feel driving our new Cali…;-)

Just wait for the OPEC production fall to kick in. It’s only going one way £££

That was quite literally like watching paint dry; other than the spray shop, surprised the assembly line is still so people heavy.

That was quite literally like watching paint dry; other than the spray shop, surprised the assembly line is still so people heavy.
The masking up for 2-tone spraying is surprisingly VERY labour intensive. I guess it goes some way to justifying the high cost of this option.

I’m now 100% happy that I didn’t put down an order for a Buzz. Now 4 months in to owning a Cupra Born I am absolutely sold on EVs, it has proven to be simply brilliant for what we want it for. Which is a daily 70 mile commute, and the local run around for kids etc. Just coming up to 6k on the clock, cheap as chips to ‘fill up’ (at home, but not away from home) and an absolute pleasure to drive. But I am also very aware of it’s limitations; a longer trip is really difficult vs an ICE equivalent, and no cheaper. A Buzz for us would need to be the main vehicle, able to go up country regularly (it’s a 100 miles up the A30 for us just to get to Exeter, and a fair way from there to anywhere else) and down to the Alps a couple of times a year. Range is a huge issue, the advertised figures are optimistic at best, as is the current charging infrastructure - its a long way off being a viable proposition for me and many others in reality I suspect.

I was personally surprised how few people worked the production line.
I worked at the Peugeot assembly plant (body in white) in Coventry in 1998. We had some of the robots as seen in this video, but far more people compared to this.
The plant closed in 2006, at the time the most productive plant in the Peugeot group. But hey, they were never going to cut jobs at Mulhouse, even though they couldn’t match our production numbers.

Last edited:
Very little sign of welding taking place in the video, but a lot of glueing.

As I love stealth, exactly what I bought; to be delivered in March 2024.
Couldn't help but already make a camping mode design for it, based on some rough dimensions I found online. If there would be somebody here who has the exact booth dimensions (like difference in floor height between front and back, width)? If 120cm wide at the back, it would be a match made in heaven.

One of the school dads has just picked up his ID 4. He loves it, but says real world driving is 180-200 miles. Shame Volkswagen didn’t get nearer to the advertised 250 miles…

One of the school dads has just picked up his ID 4. He loves it, but says real world driving is 180-200 miles. Shame Volkswagen didn’t get nearer to the advertised 250 miles…
That is a shame indeed. I think 300 is the sweet spot - at least in my use case/usage patterns.

But just for school runs and local drives, that should be more than sufficient ... but then 65 grand on a school drop machine - nope, I would go down the cycle route.

Hopefully VW will pull their finger out build a dual motor Buzz with a slightly larger battery to give more range. Will then also have the advantage of 4wd (+ increased performance & handling).

That is my experience. I'm quite consistently getting 3.5m/KwH, which not really wanting to get lower than 10% range gives me about 180 miles .

That is a shame indeed. I think 300 is the sweet spot - at least in my use case/usage patterns.

But just for school runs and local drives, that should be more than sufficient ... but then 65 grand on a school drop machine - nope, I would go down the cycle route.

We’ve tried to do the same over the last 5years. But had to many near missis, we just don’t have the cycle infrastructure to convert full-time.
I don’t mind when it’s just myself, but navigating a 6 year old on British roads is very difficult.

We’re restricting his riding to cycle paths and off road routes as much as possible going forward. He will continue to cycle to school for the next year. But following that, he moves school to juniors which is the other side of town. It’s only about 4 miles, but no easy way to cycle with the roads.
So unfortunately, we will have to admit defeat and drive more often than we do now…:-(

Back