Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Seems the TDI version of the Ocean and Beach are no longer available to select. Only the petrol models! "Trouble at the VW Mill"?
Same for other M1 passenger versions too by the look of things (just had a quick look at Caravelle and Shuttle). Brochures and price lists withdrawn, references to diesel engines edited out the product pages I just looked at. It's all happening.

Holy sing! This is bigger than most us expected. No hope for future diesel engines???????? :eek:

Calm down and wait. The issue and action relative to the testing of the multivan range will be sorted. VW probably removed from site temp following complaints from customers awaiting orders.

Calm down and wait. The issue and action relative to the testing of the multivan range will be sorted. VW probably removed from site temp following complaints from customers awaiting orders.

You are probably right - I hope!!

I've just been online with vwcs:

"You are now connected with Ismahil

Tom Can you please advise why the diesel models are not listed?17:54:22

Ismahil Hi Tom, you're through to Ismahil at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. 17:55:21

Tom just to clarify - california ocean17:55:26

Ismahil They have been removed from ordering currently due to the conformity issue.17:56:25

Tom So my van (204tdi) which is built and being held at the factory - will this be replaced with a petrol version or is the intention to reintroduce the diesels once the issue is resolved?17:59:14

Tom My SLI number is ********18:01:04

Ismahil I am unable to confirm this as the factory have not updated us with any information, however I can setup a case for you to get a case manager to look into the issue for you. I will need to take a few details from you first.

blah blah address etc....

Ismahil Thank you Tom, I'll get this case setup for you and a case manager will give you a call back as soon as possible.18:10:32

Tom OK thank you for your help Ismahil. Tom18:11:58

Ismahil No problem Tom, have a great evening and thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles today"

So nothing particularly helpful I'm afraid. Once I have spoken to the case manager I'll post anything of interest.

No need to panic, but I was hoping that by now we'd be starting to get answers not more confusion.

Out of interest are TSI's getting delivered/registered?

Tom

Ismahil I am unable to confirm this as the factory have not updated us with any information,
That is the issue VW UK is a separate company and as much in the dark as we are. How are the dealers expected to answer customers when they are in this position?

Not surprising considering that a Manager in VW Commercials doesn’t even know that the California SE or Ocean has a Fridge, Parking Heater etc: etc: fitted at their factory in Germany.

This may put a few minds to rest if it’s fact??
I heard a little whisper that this issue is only a problem when the van is doing a re/gen ....That’s when the emissions are too high??
so would make sense why it mostly only applies to diesel manual
Maybe the dsg does a better job of the re/gen while driving as it decides when to change gear??
All a bit confusing but thought I would just mention it..

I sincerely hope you're right, fingers crossed (BTW I'm an alien and have fifty fingers on each hand).

The M1 models are on hold it seems because VW have found that the M1 T6’s were generating excessive levels of nitrogen oxide during certification testing. They reported this discrepancy to Germany's transport ministry watchdog (KBA) towards the end of last year [source: Der Spiegel Dec 2017].

Mid December VW drafted a 'standard VW Letter' intended to be sent on to their affected M1 customers via their dealerships.

The problem seems to stem from excessive levels of nitrogen oxide which were due to VW setting the emissions-linked "adjustment factor" too low in preparation for vehicle certification.

Since December VW has run further tests at the "right setting level" and are now waiting for the outcome, which is expected in mid February. If acceptable to the KBA the affected M1 vehicles certification will be issued allowing the vehicles to be released for delivery. Phew!

It seems everybody (VW Management and VW M1 Customers) are holding their breath and crossing their fingers all works out okay with the KBA. This is because allegedly f the the issue persists the fix may not be a simple software tweak. The fix, when found ,may require a significant mechanical rework, which could be expensive for VW to role out, and further delays of course.

Keep Calm - Sit tight and see what happens mid February . . . now where did I put that Marco Polo Brochure?

[QUOTE="Keep Calm - Sit tight and see what happens mid February . . . now where did I put that Marco Polo Brochure?[/QUOTE]

Trouble is, the Marco Polo left me cold when I drove it. Looks great in the brochure, but simply no joy. Couldn’t stop smiling when I drove the California.

Not smiling now though!

[QUOTE="Keep Calm - Sit tight and see what happens mid February . . . now where did I put that Marco Polo Brochure?

Trouble is, the Marco Polo left me cold when I drove it. Looks great in the brochure, but simply no joy. Couldn’t stop smiling when I drove the California.

Not smiling now though![/QUOTE]
Apologies if straying off topic but has Mercedes published their real world emissions data for the Marco polo yet?

The Marco Polo leaves me cold too especially when I see one with an awning fitted. It looks awful due to its curved roof line. As for the interior; far too much creamy beige, its the 'Safari Suit' of the campervans! You would have to be over fifty to appreciate my last observation.

Not smiling now though!
Apologies if straying off topic but has Mercedes published their real world emissions data for the Marco polo yet?[/QUOTE]

Appears so see: https://rde.mercedes-benz.com/en/rde_en.html?owda=misc. No problems for Marco Polos.

The Marco Polo leaves me cold too especially when I see one with an awning fitted. It looks awful due to its curved roof line. As for the interior; far too much creamy beige, its the 'Safari Suit' of the campervans! You would have to be over fifty to appreciate my last observation.

Yes, it does me. I love it when I hear the Cali being called "dated". Short, squat, built for purpose, drives like a dream and steady evolution.

I am no fan of VW, just a fan of the Cali which has a curious knack of doing everything competently without any frills.

Why do so many decry the California and believe the hype of other manufacturers. VW in real testing has one of the best test results in RW testing. At least VW reported this themselves. Just wait for it to resolve itself.
As for Nissan / Renault :talktothehand The Marco Polo looks good but is it practical as a true tourer (some have cream leather!!) and its not the old Westfalia loved by many. No the Cali may be 'plain' in some eyes but to me the best.

My soon to be Marco Polo has black leather seats - in my opinion and experience so much more practical than grey cloth upholstery. - easy to clean and no impossible to get rid of dog hairs I agree the beige leather would be a nightmare for those who wear dark coloured jeans. However, the latest Cali seems to have taken on board some of the mp's attributes e.g. split sink topper, yacht effect flooring. All it needs now is a decent upper bed, back seats that do not feel like an old school bus and split tailgate and it might be getting somewhere. (only joking!)
I have driven both vehicles for a couple of days and it is true that each has its own positive characteristics. For me, the mercedes is a better drive for what I want and as I must be a rather shallow person, the feeling of driving something approaching £60k also makes me smile!
However, It's good we have a choice and for those of you who prefer the cali, lets hope the problems some of you are experiencing re the latest emissions glitch soon get resolved.

Spotted today that the VW Cali configurator has no option with a Diesel anymore. Sorry if this is old news but was a bit lazy reading all earlier posts. :eek:
Does that mean you can not order one anymore??

Edit: Just saw some comments a couple of pages back.......gosh. Lets hope its temporary.

Last edited:
Spotted today that the VW Cali configurator has no option with a Diesel anymore. Sorry if this is old news but was a bit lazy reading all earlier posts. :eek:

Edit: Just saw some comments a couple of pages back.......gosh. Lets hope its temporary.
You can´t order a Cayenne diesel at the moment, the next revised diesel engine comes
around July time. Petrols only for now.

Yes old news I posted this info yesterday.
The positive spin is this is because VW have ceased production until the backlog of diesels have been given the all clear regarding Euro 6 certification expected to happen in mid feb according to VW.

I am one of those affected. VWCSC tell me they hope the mid Feb certification will happen and if so my 1st week of March delivery will be met. However, if I was VW and I truly believed the issue will be resolved by mid Feb I doubt I would have gone to the trouble of deleting the popular option for diesels from their configurator and online brochures. I would have allowed customers to submit there request for a diesel van, even if it meant I would have to come back with an even longer than normal lead time. But if I was VW and was concerned that the mid February the diesel vans would not be given the all clear then I would delete from the configurator and the brochures.

What makes most sense to you?

You can´t order a Cayenne diesel at the moment, the next revised diesel engine comes
around July time. Petrols only for now.
Hi Westfalia. Where does the information regarding revised engine from July come from? Any information appreciated.

Back