Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Yes old news I posted this info yesterday.
The positive spin is this is because VW have ceased production until the backlog of diesels have been given the all clear regarding Euro 6 certification expected to happen in mid feb according to VW.

I am one of those affected. VWCSC tell me they hope the mid Feb certification will happen and if so my 1st week of March delivery will be met. However, if I was VW and I truly believed the issue will be resolved by mid Feb I doubt I would have gone to the trouble of deleting the popular option for diesels from their configurator and online brochures. I would have allowed customers to submit there request for a diesel van, even if it meant I would have to come back with an even longer than normal lead time. But if I was VW and was concerned that the mid February the diesel vans would not be given the all clear then I would delete from the configurator and the brochures.

What makes most sense to you?
My penny worth.......This is really interesting. Suspect we will see more battles between the vehicle manufacturers and the regulators in the coming months/years.
You are affected in that you have ordered a Diesel Cali and if and when VW sort out the problem you will take delivery of your pride and joy - but probably later than expected.But at least you will have your diesel Cali :).
The fact that VW have removed any Diesel option from the web site and suspended online brochures as they are being updated is somewhat more sinister. Why? Well it suggests they will not/do not want to take orders for new Diesel Calis. Certainly for the time being anyway. If I were them would I stem my orderbook inflow for diesels? No......unless I dont have in place or have in prospect a solution to the emissions issue.
If I were you I would cancel my order with VW (if you can without significant loss) and look for a low mileage, clean, tidy TDI demonstrator as close to your desired spec as possible. The comparative MPG figures of a TSI and TDI are a big issue in itself if you think about a 10k mile year in your cali. We just did under 10k in our first year and a quick comparison would have meant an extra £550 expense had our Cali been a TSI instead of a TDI.
Lot to think about here.

Just a thought - do dealers still offer the 4.9% APR on demo stock vehicles on PCP? And the £1000 deposit contribtion / free services?

That's what we've got on our current order that is being processed (well, built last week). So if a demo van was going to be a much higher APR and have no incentives, it would have to be A LOT cheaper to buy to make it viable for us against just waiting out to see what VW are going to do with us...

Hi Westfalia. Where does the information regarding revised engine from July come from? Any information appreciated.
I was in the porsche centre in stuttgart yesterday trying to configure a cayenne and
the salesman told me that i can´t have a diesel at the moment.
He said the next cayenne with a diesel will be available from about july
and when it comes it will be a smaller engine.

Just a thought - do dealers still offer the 4.9% APR on demo stock vehicles on PCP? And the £1000 deposit contribtion / free services?

That's what we've got on our current order that is being processed (well, built last week). So if a demo van was going to be a much higher APR and have no incentives, it would have to be A LOT cheaper to buy to make it viable for us against just waiting out to see what VW are going to do with us...

I don’t think the finance option for used cars is as attractive from vw. However Lloyd’s bank now offer PCP at better rates than vw quote although you won’t get the deposit contribution of free servicing...

I was in the porsche centre in stuttgart yesterday trying to configure a cayenne and
the salesman told me that i can´t have a diesel at the moment.
He said the next cayenne with a diesel will be available from about july
and when it comes it will be a smaller engine.

What? No Calis AND now no Cayennes? It will have to be a Nisssan then :(

I wouldn't read too much into options not being on the configurator, anyone who has spent any time playing with it knows it has a life of it's own. Several options disappeared last year and then re-appeared. And every countries configurator is different, when I checked the German one a couple of days ago diesels were still available as options.

OK - I have spoken to VWCS today who told me I have a case manager now.

Spoke to them and they told me as much as they could:

My vehicle is built (build week 4, last week), and is very likely to get released mid-feb.

Extra drivers are being brought in to ensure speedy recovery of the backlog of getting vehicles to dealers.

Asked me if I had holidays booked for when we were expecting the vehicle, I said no as I'd read all of this stuff online. He did say that he could arrange a loan car / vehicle if we needed. I declined as we've got too many cars here as it is, but a kind offer.

He confirmed that the configurator had been updated to stem the flow of orders at the moment and fully expected it to be back to showing TDIs mid-feb when the registration block is lifted.

He said that VW would cover the additional £400 road tax VED in the first year if the registration fell after 1st April, which puts my mind at rest as this was my biggest concern. He basically said VW would recompense any out of pocket expenses late delivery will cause me.

He fully expected my vehicle to be at the dealer 2nd week of March. Which suits me fine.

I said I'd ring him in 2 weeks time for an update. I have his extension number also now to keep in contact.

Anyone else got a case manager for their 'stuck' van?

I'd be ringing the dealer now and see what gaurentees I could get from them that you will be darn near first in the queue when it arrives.

My vehicle is built (build week 4, last week), and is very likely to get released mid-feb.

Extra drivers are being brought in to ensure speedy recovery of the backlog of getting vehicles to dealers.

Asked me if I had holidays booked for when we were expecting the vehicle, I said no as I'd read all of this stuff online. He did say that he could arrange a loan car / vehicle if we needed. I declined as we've got too many cars here as it is, but a kind offer.

He confirmed that the configurator had been updated to stem the flow of orders at the moment and fully expected it to be back to showing TDIs mid-feb when the registration block is lifted.

He said that VW would cover the additional £400 road tax VED in the first year if the registration fell after 1st April, which puts my mind at rest as this was my biggest concern. He basically said VW would recompense any out of pocket expenses late delivery will cause me.

He fully expected my vehicle to be at the dealer 2nd week of March. Which suits me fine.

I said I'd ring him in 2 weeks time for an update. I have his extension number also now to keep in contact.

When I contacted VWCS earlier this week I was told that my case would be forwarded to a case manager and that they would be in touch shortly.... nothing so far.

What you’ve been told is encouraging. Why VW can’t just communicate this openly to everyone with an open order is beyond me, it would save them a lot of bad feeling.

I’d already decided to do nothing until mid February. If there’s still no news by then I may well think about cancelling/reordering petrol.

Tom

Mmm. VW seem to be telling us what we want to hear, and what they hope will happen. I am just not convinced by the statement they took the diesel option off the brochure and configurator to “stem the flow of the orders”. If they are just two weeks away of starting to clear the back log and the problem was just a paper work error would they truly want to stop engaging with future potential deisel car customers? If true surly they would keep production going and rent a bigger field to park them in until they can be delivered. I have no doubt your case manager was being sincere and wants to been seen doing all he/she can to keep current VW customers from kicking up a fuss. My concern (my opinion) is they are just buying time. I hope I am proved wrong and my van arrives in March.

When I contacted VWCS earlier this week I was told that my case would be forwarded to a case manager and that they would be in touch shortly.... nothing so far.

What you’ve been told is encouraging. Why VW can’t just communicate this openly to everyone with an open order is beyond me, it would save them a lot of bad feeling.

I’d already decided to do nothing until mid February. If there’s still no news by then I may well think about cancelling/reordering petrol.

Tom

If I were you i'd just ring VWCS tomorrow and ask who your case manager is. I only found out today that I had one allocated to me (via voicemail from VWCS, after my call on monday) and they gave me the name in the voicemail and said to expect a call from them by the end of this week. I just rang VWCS straight back and said can I speak to Jay (the case manager) and they took a few details and put me straight through. I wonder if poor Jay has got all Cali orders ?!

I felt sorry for him actually. He was quite sheepish when we first started talking until he realised I wasn’t going to rip his head off and was totally reasonable with him. I guessed he has been given the job card for a few of these and was just about sick of it already.

I did too. He's just been left carrying the can.

He was really helpful and he tried to get answers to all my questions.

Fingers crossed a March delivery is on the cards for us too.

Thank you Itguy for the update that sounds promising for us too then. Fingers crossed for everyone involved in this. I spoke to my dealer at the beginning of this week and he said they were hoping VW were going to release some information at the end of this week. I hope so for the people who I feel very sorry for waiting for their vans at the moment.

I felt sorry for him actually. He was quite sheepish when we first started talking until he realised I wasn’t going to rip his head off and was totally reasonable with him. I guessed he has been given the job card for a few of these and was just about sick of it already.
Jay is the case manager we were assigned too. Caught up with him yesterday and got pretty much the same info as you @itguy.

Apparently the issue is to do with the nox emissions being too high during the dpf tests.... They've found a fix which will be a software tweak, quickly applied to the waiting buses in the factory as soon as the authorities approve it. They expect this to be mid Feb.

I asked if this software update will affect the mpg etc. and he assured me it would not.

They plan to speed up deliveries as soon as the updates are made and are hoping to get all the buses out & registered before end March to avoid the VED increase in April. If not, they have committed to paying the difference.

So could be a win win, VW pay the extra tax and we all get an 18 plate

Here's hoping...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My understanding is: The Tax increase in April is only applied to new Euro 6 vehicles FAIL to meet the real world emissions tests (RWET).

That is ,they move up a Euro 6 cat tax band if they fail the RWET. So for example VW assert my Cali will emit 185g/km C02 and so this puts me in the first year Tax Band that results in a £800 initial vehicle excise duty.

If the vehicle is registered after the 1st April 2018 and the vehicle PASSED the RTEW its initial tax remains unchanged so it will be still £800.

However, if the vehicle FAILS the RWET and is registered after 1st of April 2018 then your vehicle is taxed at the next Euro 6 polluting band up. So in my example the cost goes up £400, i.e. from £800 to £1200. The fact VW are say they will cover this cost indicates they are expecting to FAIL the RWET.

VW are not doing you any favours they are just ensuring the VW Dealerships will not be in breach of contract given they will have stated the OTR price that assumes it would have passed the RWET.

Under Contract law they can only amend OTR price due to a Change in VAT or due to a change in Euro 6 tax band charges/rules since they entered into a contract. There has been NO change. These tax rules where in place when you entered into a contract (paid a deposit that was accepted by the Dealership).
The only failing is on VW side by not meeting the RWET! Under contract law you are not liable for their FAILING!

There may be further tax and running cost implications for us to 'down the road (excuse the pun) if find ourselves owning vehicles that failed the Euro 6 RWET.

Your delivered vehicle will be a MY18 regardless of the month it is registered.

I love California's, but I cannot say the same of VW given "Dieselgate" and how they responded (or to be more precise) didn't respond to their non North American customers. They are only doing what they have to. We will have to wait and see if they show goodwill to their customers over and above their legal obligations.

I’m not convinced VW know they’re going to ‘fail’ the new RWET.

I definitely agree that VW’s handling of this mess has been pretty shocking but it does seem that they are trying to reassure customers at last by offering to reimburse any additional costs caused by the delay.

I also spoke to Jay at VWCS this morning and I do feel a bit more positive now. I had the same info as others above (mid Feb deliveries will restart, first registrations likely to be early March).

I’m hoping that as my van had just been completed when this issue arose that it will be on one of the first boats!

One additional peice of information I was given is that there is a care package in place whereby the wheels are being rotated regularly and the batteries etc. are being maintained. This is of course what you’d expect, but it’s still nice to hear.

Let’s wait and see, but for now I feel reassured.

Tom

One additional piece of information I was given is that there is a care package in place whereby the wheels are being rotated regularly and the batteries etc. are being maintained. This is of course what you’d expect, but it’s still nice to hear.

hmmmm that's the best marketing spin I've heard for some greasy oik ramping your pride and joy around the carpark for half an hour I suspect...

Tom

The only 'additional cost' to be incurred is if VW fail to register the vehicles before April and if, only if, they FAIL to meet the RWET. If they deliver late otherwise, nothing to reimburse to customers. Our contracts has a clause stating 'time is not of the essence'. Which in contract law means they are not bound to the delivery date and you have no come back if they are late. If unreasonably late then you will have some redress say more than a month or two.

I do not feel reassured by the implication of what we are being told.

hmmmm that's the best marketing spin I've heard for some greasy oik ramping your pride and joy around the carpark for half an hour I suspect...

Doubt they’d be much room in the carpark, probably full of vans...

The next person to contact Jay at VW Customer Care should ask if the vehicles they are expecting to deliver to customers before 1st of April are compliant with the Real World Emissions Test. Push Jay to to state 'these vehicles will have met the RWET unequivocally'. Watch out for a wooly reply from Jay that uses phrases such as; 'they should', 'we expect so', 'we hope so' ...etc. Then post what he told you verbatim.

If you read the German papers it is obvious that all manufacturers are complicit and that VW, BTW and Daimler have been hiding things. VW seem to have been either more involved or slower to react but all have been involved. Will be interesting to see what the fix is or how the others quietly perform a fix. Maybe that is the reason VW dismissed their head of PR Marketing.

I wish I was quicker :D Exactly my first thoughts.

Back