Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Just had an update. Build week 49 and still at Emden.

You're right there my wise old mate :cool: - she is still seems to be chugging around in the North Sea in just a coat of primer, not like her pristine sister Wesser. Too busy to get the top coat paint job!

BTW isn't it great to sense the excitement rising for all these expectant California owners? Just like it was for us and the rest of the Class of Build Weeks 43, 44, 45 & 46 late last year.:happy:happy

Ahhh God bless the Makassar Highway, and all (people and vans) who sail in her. Fond hyper-stalking memories by this build week 46 graduate.

Good luck for speedy deliveries for all you folk waiting. :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Speaking to a VW van rep at the Geneva auto salon yesterday, he told me there was a back log of approximately 20000 of these waiting for delivery due to this issue.. yikes..

For what it's worth, he also said that the whole thing came about due to random testing by the German authorities on vehicles with 50-100000km on the clock. These are the ones which were not meeting the advertised spec. He reckoned that the advertised spec had to be adjusted to account for possible increased emissions as the vehicles piled on the milage. Sounds very draconian to me. Not sure how accurate his account was but he sounded very up to speed on the topic.

We’ve got a registration number!! Can’t be more than a week or so to go now...
That's amazeballs, did it come from your dealer?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I must admit I haven't read all posts (but many)...

I am so glad for everybody that the process to get the new California Campers ready for all the customers seems to start now (soon).

Now I have the funny picture in my mind that in the next few days (well, hopefully) suddenly there are a high number of new California Campers on the roads... :) ... what a sight!

For everybody who finally get their new vehicle - all the best, wonderful times and all times save journeys.

Eberhard

Postman has just walked by, and no letter...

Being cynical on this, it feels like VW could be timing the delivery of these letters to coincide with the vans being as close as possible to being in a position of being collected by us (or a lot of us anyway)

Maybe they are expecting the content of these letters to cause significant consternation amongst us, and are banking that as we draw closer to being able to pick these vans up our hearts will rule our heads and overpower the negative aspects of the letters

Being cynical on this, it feels like VW could be timing the delivery of these letters to coincide with the vans being as close as possible to being in a position of being collected by us (or a lot of us anyway)

Maybe they are expecting the content of these letters to cause significant consternation amongst us, and are banking that as we draw closer to being able to pick these vans up our hearts will rule our heads and overpower the negative aspects of the letters

If you've thought it up, I'm sure the bizzies at VW "damage mitigation" have done so also. Maybe they could hand you the letter, just as your derrière hits the Captains seat! (the point of no return!)

It does seem a bit odd that the Monday letter still isn't with us. I've been promised several call backs now since Saturday, and none of them have been fulfilled. Feels a bit like something is awry - even though vans are moving. I don't know if I've finally been broken, but I share that feeling of impending doom!

Re the letter...

Assuming a March registration,

It’s the 150 owners that I feel for as that is where there is an argument to have as the new emissions figures have put it up a band for tax.

204 stays the same.

Obviously if a April reg then both are up another tax band for the first year fee so a discussion for all of us then.

We’ve got a registration number!! Can’t be more than a week or so to go now...
Great news. I hope they fast track it for you.

We've had word that the dealer wants to register ours by the end of March to meet a VW allocation requirement... but the van is still in Emden and they can't give us a delivery date.

This whole process stinks.

I’ve agreed a provisional handover date of the 30th (yes, good Friday!) as there is pressure on them to register pre April.

Poor Mark at West Yorkshire has to go to the Harrogate camper show on the 23/24/25 so next weekend is ruled out of the diary. He’s having to cancel his leave for the Easter weekend to get them all out.

All the best to everybody who is finally going to get their new vehicles.

PS does this mean this thread can stop now :bananadance2

Re the letter...

Assuming a March registration,

It’s the 150 owners that I feel for as that is where there is an argument to have as the new emissions figures have put it up a band for tax.

204 stays the same.

Obviously if a April reg then both are up another tax band for the first year fee so a discussion for all of us then.

I can't see what difference it makes???
VW pay the 1st year and there after it doesn't matter what band it's in.

I popped my dealer an email when I knew the boat had docked at Grimsby asked if I could pick a reg number and he was more than happy to oblige.
Forgive me if I'm being dense, but what do you mean you asked to pick a reg number? Do you get a choice?!

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but what do you mean you asked to pick a reg number? Do you get a choice?!

Some dealers will go the extra mile to contact the people who express an interest in having a choice and others will not. But it will be from a block of however many registrations they have just been allocated for vehicles...
So lets say 6 are available and you are the only one who wants to choose, then you get a choice of those 6. All slightly different.

Back