Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Maybe it's a MY17? It was already in the dealers ..... it's got the split cooker lid?

Maybe it's a MY17? It was already in the dealers ..... it's got the split cooker lid?
Split cooker lid is MY18, but I think that it will depend exactly when the dealer received it, or what paperwork it came with from the factory. You might just be lucky and have a vehicle classified with 169 CO2 emissions, but with MY18 kit.

I had the long awaited conversation today with my Dealership and accepted they have to pay the extra VED eventually...

The Dealership’s Salesman who took my order insisted it was down for me to pay the extra VED due to my Cali being re-categorised into the next higher polluting tax band. I told him I would not being paying the extra VED and the reason why (see my post 1087 on page 55 of this thread). He tried to insist I would have to pay or else he would have no option but to cancel the order, and return my deposit.

I restated my case stressing that I had contracted with them to buy a vehicle whose emissions attracted only a first year VED of £800. They where now supplying me one whose emissions that attracted a first VED of £1,200. Hence the vehicle is not as per contract and they (the Dealership) were in breach of contract and I, the aggrieved party, had incurred a “loss of bargain” as a result. I went on to inform the Salesmen that under contract law damages have to be paid to the aggrieved party such that they are put back into the position they would have been had the breach not occurred. And that under contract law the party in breach of contract CANNOT simply put the aggrieved party into the position they were in before the contract came into existence. The Salesmen said I would need to take this up with VW. I told I did not because my contract was with the Dealership not VW!

Long story short the Salesman went off and reappeared 20 minutes later having spoken to the Dealership’s Financial Director. He graciously agreed to pay the extra VED but asked if was okay to change the quote for “accounting purposes” so that it showed the increased VED rate and they would in return increase the original discount I was given (which was 7%) such that it offset the £400 increase in VED and so the final OTR price I had to pay would remain unchanged.

It pays to know your basic rights under contract law. Assemble the facts and stand your ground. When making your arguing your case stay calm, else you risk becoming irrational. Just stay focused on the SIMPLE facts I have laid out which underpin our case. AVOID basing your case on what VWCS may have told you over the phone about “not being liable for the extra VED due to your van’s noncompliance with the original specification”. You are NOT in contract with VW, what they may, or may not have told you, is irrelevant! A VWCS spokesperson, or even a VW Director, does not have the legal capacity to renegotiate the contract that exists between you and your Dealership. Your Dealership will also know this too.

Had the Dealership not relented I would have insisted we take the issue to the “Motor Ombudsman”, having checked they were an accredited company and the issue was within their scope to resolve. The last resort would have been to threaten to take the dispute to the small claims court. I have experience of the latter and it is a lot easier as some would have you believe and you would not need to seek professional help if you are competent and constructing strong valid arguments. In the previous two cases I initiated it never got as far as having to go to court as both Companies declined to contest. This is typically the case. Unscrupulous Companies will try a call your bluff, believing you will not follow through on your threat to go to courts to seek redress.

At the end of the day I actually left the Dealership feeling sorry for them, as it seems VW are making them pay for their cock up on the Euro 6 emissions testing.

Good luck with your “conversations” with your Dealerships I hope they prove to be as reasonable as mine were in dealing with this matter. My contribution to this thread is now over as my wife and I now just want to put this long drawn out saga to behind us and get on enjoying are new Cali.

Pick up booked for next Weds.... Would be a slight understatement to say we are VERY excited!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
My Pickup is confirmed for Monday!! Whoop!

I can take it or leave it.... like, whatever.... bover'd... much :Grin:bananadance2:D

Don't forget to get the paperwork sorted for the 2 free services - that offer is now withdrawn. Also, much cheaper to get the extended warranty whilst the van is still new.

My Cali is still not at the dealer, although I am booked in for collection next Wednesday. Fingers crossed it makes it sometime soon there so they can PDI it!! It was released for transport from the port on the 14th with a 10 day SLA so Ismahil says and with my pickup on the 28th I'm hoping it's all going to go to plan without a sting in the tail now!

My Cali is still not at the dealer, although I am booked in for collection next Wednesday. Fingers crossed it makes it sometime soon there so they can PDI it!! It was released for transport from the port on the 14th with a 10 day SLA so Ismahil says and with my pickup on the 28th I'm hoping it's all going to go to plan without a sting in the tail now!
I was on vwcs chat last night and they said my van wasn’t booked on a transporter yet... today at lunchtime it was at the dealer. There doesn’t seem to be much advance warning...

Yeah my dealer said the same, in that he can check the system and it will show that it is at the port just at the same time a car transporter arrives in the carpark!

Lets face it, with something like the Cali they should have a transport tracker fitted that the new owner gets the tracking website for. It would save a lot of peoples time!!

I had the long awaited conversation today with my Dealership and accepted they have to pay the extra VED eventually...

The Dealership’s Salesman who took my order insisted it was down for me to pay the extra VED due to my Cali being re-categorised into the next higher polluting tax band. I told him I would not being paying the extra VED and the reason why (see my post 1087 on page 55 of this thread). He tried to insist I would have to pay or else he would have no option but to cancel the order, and return my deposit.

I restated my case stressing that I had contracted with them to buy a vehicle whose emissions attracted only a first year VED of £800. They where now supplying me one whose emissions that attracted a first VED of £1,200. Hence the vehicle is not as per contract and they (the Dealership) were in breach of contract and I, the aggrieved party, had incurred a “loss of bargain” as a result. I went on to inform the Salesmen that under contract law damages have to be paid to the aggrieved party such that they are put back into the position they would have been had the breach not occurred. And that under contract law the party in breach of contract CANNOT simply put the aggrieved party into the position they were in before the contract came into existence. The Salesmen said I would need to take this up with VW. I told I did not because my contract was with the Dealership not VW!

Long story short the Salesman went off and reappeared 20 minutes later having spoken to the Dealership’s Financial Director. He graciously agreed to pay the extra VED but asked if was okay to change the quote for “accounting purposes” so that it showed the increased VED rate and they would in return increase the original discount I was given (which was 7%) such that it offset the £400 increase in VED and so the final OTR price I had to pay would remain unchanged.

It pays to know your basic rights under contract law. Assemble the facts and stand your ground. When making your arguing your case stay calm, else you risk becoming irrational. Just stay focused on the SIMPLE facts I have laid out which underpin our case. AVOID basing your case on what VWCS may have told you over the phone about “not being liable for the extra VED due to your van’s noncompliance with the original specification”. You are NOT in contract with VW, what they may, or may not have told you, is irrelevant! A VWCS spokesperson, or even a VW Director, does not have the legal capacity to renegotiate the contract that exists between you and your Dealership. Your Dealership will also know this too.

Had the Dealership not relented I would have insisted we take the issue to the “Motor Ombudsman”, having checked they were an accredited company and the issue was within their scope to resolve. The last resort would have been to threaten to take the dispute to the small claims court. I have experience of the latter and it is a lot easier as some would have you believe and you would not need to seek professional help if you are competent and constructing strong valid arguments. In the previous two cases I initiated it never got as far as having to go to court as both Companies declined to contest. This is typically the case. Unscrupulous Companies will try a call your bluff, believing you will not follow through on your threat to go to courts to seek redress.

At the end of the day I actually left the Dealership feeling sorry for them, as it seems VW are making them pay for their cock up on the Euro 6 emissions testing.

Good luck with your “conversations” with your Dealerships I hope they prove to be as reasonable as mine were in dealing with this matter. My contribution to this thread is now over as my wife and I now just want to put this long drawn out saga to behind us and get on enjoying are new Cali.

Well done Blue Yonder and thanks for the advice. Can I ask which dealership this was please?

It’s arrived at the dealer today! Dealer sent me a video! It looks beautiful! Picking it up today!! :bananadance2:upsidedown:pinkbanana:bananadance2:upsidedown:pinkbanana:bananadance2:upsidedown:pinkbanana

Good luck, and don’t forget your check list.

The dealer is telling me our bus is at the border waiting to be cleared! Looks like we could've had it for the Easter break but we already have flights booked to Sicily so will have to wait until we are back to take delivery, provisionally booked for Monday the 9th. Ohhhh I'm happy now

:bananadance2

Edit: Thanks for moving this

Last edited:
The dealer is telling me our bus is at the border waiting to be cleared! Looks like we could've had it for the Easter break but we already have flights booked to Sicily so will have to wait until we are back to take delivery, provisionally booked for Monday the 9th. Ohhhh I'm happy now :bananadance2

Edit: Oops, this was supposed to be in the other famous thread about delayed deliveries... Is there a way to move it? Too excited!!

Your wish was my command :D

My Pickup is confirmed for Monday!! Whoop!

I can take it or leave it.... like, whatever.... bover'd... much :Grin:bananadance2:D

Don't forget to get the paperwork sorted for the 2 free services - that offer is now withdrawn. Also, much cheaper to get the extended warranty whilst the van is still new.
On it! Have fun Monday & don't go too crazy in the club shop this weekend!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Our van has arrived at the port and will be registered before April 1st.
We have discussed the issue of the additional £300 VED with the manager at Manchester Van Centre and they have said they would definitely not be charging us.
We are very pleased with the way in which they have handled this matter.
Now looking forward to the DSG upgrade and the complementary vouchers!

Just found out that I'm getting mine on Wednesday too. It's my first Cali and I'm really excited about all the potential adventures ahead, and as it's my first this is also my first exposure to this forum and it's been a pleasure and a very helpful privilege to see the camaraderie that exists. You've provided such helpful updates and it strikes me that we as a group have gone through (are going through) something that doesn't normally happen in the usual daily drip-feeding of cars onto forecourts. We've been united by this shared experience and I hope I get to meet some of this Class of 18 along the way; that which does not destroy us makes us stronger.

Ours has arrived at the dealer today and in the absence of other people posting up photos I thought why not!!

Collecting next Wednesday as our dealer is at the harrogate camper show between now and monday!!

View attachment 31235

Think I’ve spotted our white ocean sneaking into the picture. Pick up booked for next Thursday morning

Life is too short for a Marco Polo

I must admit regarding this thread I find myself in a different situation to most !!
Like a lot of you my van is here registered and ready to collect ... And Personally I'm less worried about a slight change in tax now £1200

However there is one major missing part for me ...?

My Deposit !!

Yes unfortunately due to the delays etc ... the tax man decided he needed my deposit more than VW so now I find myself having to delay any hope of collecting it for a possible further 8 weeks.

The irony to this story ... And to be fare to my dealer when I told him I could not take delivery .. He simply said "that's fine at the end of the day it's not your fault the vehicle is delayed" hence I'm now the one holding things up

I must admit regarding this thread I find myself in a different situation to most !!
Like a lot of you my van is here registered and ready to collect ... And Personally I'm less worried about a slight change in tax now £1200

However there is one major missing part for me ...?

My Deposit !!

Yes unfortunately due to the delays etc ... the tax man decided he needed my deposit more than VW so now I find myself having to delay any hope of collecting it for a possible further 8 weeks.

The irony to this story ... And to be fare to my dealer when I told him I could not take delivery .. He simply said "that's fine at the end of the day it's not your fault the vehicle is delayed" hence I'm now the one holding things up
Sorry to hear this, must be torture reading about us lot chomping at the bit.

But it would have been far worse if you’d taken delivery and then the tax man came calling. You’ll still have the whole summer ahead when you do take delivery.

Back