Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

The “block” is imposed by VW until the software update is done. Most have been done at the port of entry or factory but some for whatever reason slipped through.

If the update has been done then VW lift the “block” but some do arrive at the dealers without the update. The dealer can do it but it takes a few hours for the update and then VW are asked to release the vehicle hence the “block” being lifted.

What’s been said is entirely plausible having seen it happen at my dealer when I was looking at mine on the system. At the same time he showed me other and explained what’s happening.

The dealers are just pawns like us in all this and as p.....d off as much as we all are. I have no complaints about my dealer. He’s been outstanding through all of this

Saw mine yesterday just after it has been unloaded from the transporter.

Pick up, Thursday - can’t wait

Life is too short for a Marco Polo

New to the world of California ownership - thanks all for your infatigable hounding of VWCS - it's kept me informed and afloat! First experience with VW and although as a diesel calibrator they've not done the industry many favours - I get what has happened as it's a tough gig trying to achieve revised emissions legislation with hardware conceived when fuel economy (CO2) was trending. Anyway - the good news for all is that the industry is marginally more transparent as a result and published pollutants are more representative. It's then up to you whether you get to your campsite 2mins sooner or take your time and burn fewer dinosaurs and give your deNOx system the best opportunity to mop up pollutants that harm us all - regardless of whether you care for the planets longevity!

Here's my snug on wheels - I'm going to cherish this video as the kids priority won't be keeping it looking like this.

https://video.citnow.com/vtXrq-vMg8S

Happy glampervanning folks

I've been really lucky - delivered next Thurs against an original delivery of March 1st. They also dropped off a petrol Cali with delivery miles for us to use in the interim.

I'm reasonably pleased with the way it's been handled - was open minded to having to cancel but end of the day theres no other option so was weirdly content even though we're all frankly over a barrel!

We're all pretty priveleged to have the means for such toys afterall

Slight aside as I've been looking at the April VED charges.
Emission levels between 171 and 190 will be £1240 first year and £450 for the next 5 years.
" 191 and 225 will be £1760 then as above.

Hardest hit will be the 204 TDi 4M DSG which goes from £800 to £1760

All diesel cars will be the same regardless if under £40,000 or not. The 5 year extra only applies to the over £40,000 group.
A T6 commercial van doesn't get this VED hike.

Lovely! Identical to Elmo apart from the wheels (very smart...). Chrome pack looks great on the grey. Enjoy, hope it was worth the wait.
Thanks! I'm not regretting anything we've ordered or had done so far... and we had the luxury of playing with a rental van beforehand so I've got a good comparison. One of the best things was Heavy duty anti roll bars and lowering springs. Not sure which makes the more difference but the ride is so much better -especially from a car sickness point of view. The upgraded speakers were another thing that totally transformed what was there

Great to see one more of our 'class'; getting through graduation. :cool:
Cheers from me and maybe @2020 freedom might like to raise a glass too and say a few words....:cheers

Out of interest, if you don't mind saying, which dealer did you @Properjob used as you appear to be in a similar neck of the woods as us?
Cheers:cheers and thanks nice to have caught up with you again!
We got it from Laine Watts at SMG Tonbridge after being recommended him by Steve at Camper van tastic and I've only got really positive things to say about both places and people.

Have a Proper knees up then
:cheers

No problems with SMG Tonbridge either :thumb

That sounds like a tall story. Far more likely a dealer cock up and they are blaming VW.

Ask for the block paperwork.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Well here’s the email I got from the dealer today.

I would like to offer my apologies for this situation.

We always aim to hand vehicles over to customer at the agreed time and date and make the occasion a happy event.

There is a block on your vehicle from the factory that is preventing us from registering the vehicle as we all agreed that you would be collecting Friday 23rd of March.

I have been in discussions with Volkswagen HO with ref to this block and they will look towards removing the block come this coming Monday.

All California Diesel models required an ECU up-date. Some are being performed by the factory and some by the ports of exit and ports of entry to reduce the work load on the retail (us).

We have performed the ECU up-date and having to wait for the COC (certificate of conformity) to be produced before the block can we removed.

Unfortunately for us (you and I) this is affecting you collecting your new California Ocean and Volkswagen are working really hard to try and remove these blocks. However the block wasn’t removed by the time that we needed to register the vehicle to you despite the numerous emails that I sent to Volkswagen.

On Monday I will be speaking with Volkswagen about your vehicle and a number of vehicles that I have sold on site that are affected by this block and aim to get it resolved this coming Monday.

To assure you your vehicle is ready bar the registering process that takes us minutes to perform once the block is removed.

Once the block has been removed I will give you a call to confirm.

If there you have any other questions relating to this please don’t hesitate to contact me but reassure you I am working very hard on your vehicle and others to get the situation cleared up.
Roll on Monday. Or Tuesday. (Wishing my life away!)

Ordered on the 20th of September...arrived the 19th December..Sat in the dealers for over 3 months but today we collected our new California. Let the fun begin!!

New to the world of California ownership - thanks all for your infatigable hounding of VWCS - it's kept me informed and afloat! First experience with VW and although as a diesel calibrator they've not done the industry many favours - I get what has happened as it's a tough gig trying to achieve revised emissions legislation with hardware conceived when fuel economy (CO2) was trending. Anyway - the good news for all is that the industry is marginally more transparent as a result and published pollutants are more representative. It's then up to you whether you get to your campsite 2mins sooner or take your time and burn fewer dinosaurs and give your deNOx system the best opportunity to mop up pollutants that harm us all - regardless of whether you care for the planets longevity!

Here's my snug on wheels - I'm going to cherish this video as the kids priority won't be keeping it looking like this.

https://video.citnow.com/vtXrq-vMg8S

Happy glampervanning folks

What a lovely, refreshing, positive post. Thank you and a big welcome.

Many thanks for the information provided on this site over the past few months.
After ordering our California Beach in July 2017 and the roller coaster of emotions that many have experienced lately, we finally had an opportunity to view our van on Friday. Unfortunately, it was presented to us with five or more body work scratches and a dent in the centre of the largest nearside panel. The dealership (Sinclair Van Centre, Cardiff) were unaware of the defects and, when made aware, sugested that the defects could be corrected before release but seemed unconcerned about our level of disappointment and that they were now offering a sub-standard product. They failed to offer any compensation for this and, in fact, wanted to charge us £300 more for the additional VED resulting from the changes in CO2 emissions. As a result we rejected the vehicle and requested the refund of our deposit (which is yet to be received). If anyone considers a high spec Indium Beach with cascavels in Cardiff, be aware that it may have been re-sprayed.
The good news is, we have been in touch with Volkswagen Centre (Lancashire) in Preston and have received, to date, excellent customer service which has resulted in us placing a deposit on one of their registered vans which was equivalent spec' to the one we ordered and significantly cheaper. Bit of a treck next weekend to pick it up but, for anyone frustrated by their dealership, check out the Das Welt used site.
Got there in the end :thumb

After ordering our California Beach in July 2017 and the roller coaster of emotions that many have experienced lately, we finally had an opportunity to view our van on Friday. Unfortunately, it was presented to us with five or more body work scratches and a dent in the centre of the largest nearside panel. The dealership (Sinclair Van Centre, Cardiff) were unaware of the defects and, when made aware, sugested that the defects could be corrected before release but seemed unconcerned about our level of disappointment and that they were now offering a sub-standard product. They failed to offer any compensation for this and, in fact, wanted to charge us £300 more for the additional VED resulting from the changes in CO2 emissions. As a result we rejected the vehicle and requested the refund of our deposit (which is yet to be received). If anyone considers a high spec Indium Beach with cascavels in Cardiff, be aware that it may have been re-sprayed.
The good news is, we have been in touch with Volkswagen Centre (Lancashire) in Preston and have received, to date, excellent customer service which has resulted in us placing a deposit on one of their registered vans which was equivalent spec' to the one we ordered and significantly cheaper. Bit of a treck next weekend to pick it up but, for anyone frustrated by their dealership, check out the Das Welt used site.
The fact that they didn't know , is shocking. The fact that after being shown these defects , their attitude was as it was , is even more shocking.
50 grand plus, and a frustrating wait just to be presented with this, deserved a grovelling apology , not indifference !
I'm glad you've found a solution and you were spot on to cancel and walk away
Bill

Well done George.

Sometimes reacting with your wallet is the only way to get through to some dealers.

VW Preston have an excellent reputation and if you have dealt with Guy then you should have a totally fuss free and honest transaction.

Good on you. Just confirms my own impression of Sinclair VW Cardiff.

For servicing etc: consider South Hereford VW. Combined Dealership and treat you and your vehicle as it should be.

Good on you. Just confirms my own impression of Sinclair VW Cardiff.

For servicing etc: consider South Hereford VW. Combined Dealership and treat you and your vehicle as it should be.
Many thanks - that's really useful information. Looks like we're just down the road from you in Peterston SE :thumb

Good on you George.
The thing is you have spotted this so no attempted cover up took place. Consider that a lucky escape.
I once bought a band new car and the plastic front bumper on the offside under the headlight always felt a rougher finish than the rest of the car when washing and waxing. Did it matter at the end of the day after I'd lived with the car and then sold it on? No ....but I was never comfortable with my finding and it was all too late. Sure I could have challenged it a month or 2 down the line but there is no way they would have retrospectively admitted they sold me a car with a repaired bumper now would they?
I fully suspect this was transport damage on the way to the dealers, in fact I often look back on when it arrived there and 3 or more other cars that had also arrived from the same location, mine had mud splatters across the front and the others didn't. I knew where they parked them between arrival and the dealers forecourt and questioned in my mind why mine was dirty and the others weren't especially as I knew the terrain and there was nothing telling me why mine should be muddy.
I now fully suspect it had an extra trip to a body shop that conduct these small repairs before arriving on the forecourt awaitng PDI !!!

Well done and a much better buy. I would also complain to VWCS as they may be useless at times but do have influence and can make the dealer aware of their concerns and hopefully make changes. If we don't complain at this level of service nothing will be done.

Tomorrow is the big day for me. Hope I don’t encounter the same horror stories as above!

I will do my best to be as dispassionate as possible when looking over the van (armed with checklist).

Then all being well I’ll be driving the ‘funky bus’ home in rush hour traffic around the M25!!! :Nailbiting

Really can’t wait now, treated ourselves to a few cool camping/picnic bits and bobs in John Lewis today.

One more sleep.....

:bananadance2

Back