Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increased Oil Consumption Problem (2010 T5 Cali 180 bhp)

Lou Hill

Lou Hill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello All, I recently purchased a 2010 California from VW. It has covered 60,000 miles and is fitted with the 2.0 bi turbo 180 bhp engine. We have just returned from our first proper trip, we took in Italy and Germany on a 2,500 mile round trip. The van ran faultless apart from consuming what I believe to be too much oil... In the 2,500 miles I had to fill up with 2 litres of oil. The van was quie full, 2 adults and 2 kids with a weeks worth of clobber, bbq, sun loungers etc... We did push on a little once on the continent, cruising between 85/90 (which did not seem to strain the van). And the temperatures were around 26 deg. But 2 litres in 2,500 miles does sound steep to me. Any advice (apart from taking the van back to VW, and any explorations what the issues may be??? I look forward to hearing from you all...

Hi, each engine is different but that does seem a little excessive. I had a V6 Touareg which went thrown quite a lot of oil not sure it was as much as that though.

I have the same engine, but 2015 Cali. In comparison I've put maybe 250ml in 13,000 miles.

Hello All, I recently purchased a 2010 California from VW. It has covered 60,000 miles and is fitted with the 2.0 bi turbo 180 bhp engine. We have just returned from our first proper trip, we took in Italy and Germany on a 2,500 mile round trip. The van ran faultless apart from consuming what I believe to be too much oil... In the 2,500 miles I had to fill up with 2 litres of oil. The van was quie full, 2 adults and 2 kids with a weeks worth of clobber, bbq, sun loungers etc... We did push on a little once on the continent, cruising between 85/90 (which did not seem to strain the van). And the temperatures were around 26 deg. But 2 litres in 2,500 miles does sound steep to me. Any advice (apart from taking the van back to VW, and any explorations what the issues may be??? I look forward to hearing from you all...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/oil-comsumption-engine-problems-with-2010-2011-calis.11145/

Welcome on your first post , seems @WelshGas provided some reading....:D

Take it back to Vw.
They know about this problem.
As a recently purchased warranted vehicle don't let them get away with anything less then a new engine at their, Vws, expense, don't pay a penny. If they ask you for a contribution immediately contact Trading Standards.
Make sure you get some sort of vehicle while they repair yours.

Take it back to Vw.
They know about this problem.
As a recently purchased warranted vehicle don't let them get away with anything less then a new engine at their, Vws, expense, don't pay a penny. If they ask you for a contribution immediately contact Trading Standards.
Make sure you get some sort of vehicle while they repair yours.
Thanks Snowy, I will keep you posted on my progress.

Hi Lou

I think we have the same problem, we have just driven down the the Costa Del Sol and on the journey down we had to top up with around 1.5L, I have checked the dip stick again when we arrived and we need to top up again. I did notice the increased consumption over the past four months but I just brushed it under the carpet. Ours is also a 2010 SE with 49,000 miles. It will be good to hear how you get on as I will be having the same battle with VW once I get back to the UK

Ben

I seem to remember on another thread someone said this is very isolated? I am beginning to thing it is more widespread than we expected. Most 2010/2011 Cali's will be approaching the 50k miles over the next few years, that is when the S**t will hit the fan.

As you can see I am a 2010 SE 180 ps owner so I am very concerned reading this.

If you think you have the dreaded 2010/11 180bhp oil consumption problem you need to go and see your Commercial vehicle dealer . Ask to have the formal oil consumption test done.

They will drain the oil, fit a new filter and refill with a weighed amount of oil. You then have to drive for 1000kms (621mls approx) and then take it back to the dealer. They will then drain and weigh the remaining oil. If your van is consuming more than a litre of oil in 1000kms, your van is out of VW specification.

Then you can contact VW Customer Services a seek to have the engine changed. Don't hold your breath though. There seems to be a block on this from VWUK now. Look for the Facebook page on this issue, lots of discussion about this on there.

http://tinyurl.com/jmk4usg

Alan

AlanC......did you ever get anywhere with your dealings with VW ?

Did you like me need a new engine ?...and/or what is your oil consumption if you still have your original engine ?

No, VW were not willing to to help me. Still running on the original engine and topping up the oil regularly currently about 435mls to a litre and dropping slowly but the dealer has said it needs replacing including the DPF and a software update. My Service manager and the Area Service Manager both tried to push the issue but got nowhere. The word was that VWCS had their hands tied from further up the chain of command.

I have written to the Guardian and am considering BBC Watch Dog too. Last ditch will be VW Germany. At the moment it is looking like we will have to pay for a new engine ourselves.

As recently retirees, that is £8k we could well do with out spending.

There are a number of others who have the same problem and not getting anywhere in the UK. The situation is different in other countries, so it seems to be just the UK Importers VWUK who are the problem.

Alan

No, VW were not willing to to help me. Still running on the original engine and topping up the oil regularly currently about 435mls to a litre and dropping slowly but the dealer has said it needs replacing including the DPF and a software update. My Service manager and the Area Service Manager both tried to push the issue but got nowhere. The word was that VWCS had their hands tied from further up the chain of command.

I have written to the Guardian and am considering BBC Watch Dog too. Last ditch will be VW Germany. At the moment it is looking like we will have to pay for a new engine ourselves.

As recently retirees, that is £8k we could well do with out spending.

There are a number of others who have the same problem and not getting anywhere in the UK. The situation is different in other countries, so it seems to be just the UK Importers VWUK who are the problem.

Alan

Alan as you know I had my engine replaced and got a 70% contribution from VW. If there is anything I can do to help, or if you or others wish to use my resolution as a case study, let me know

The argument Mr Taylor used to say 'no good will available' to me was that my van was out of warranty and 5 years old.

What puzzled me was that yours was done only a few weeks before and is the same age as mine. Nothing I could say would change his mind.

Now that our Cali Club executive has left VWUK, there is no one we can use to put pressure on Customer Services.

Alan

This looks like a way to get a contribution towards an engine rebuild.

jon798
user_offline.gif

Van Rookie

icon1.gif
Re: New Engine needed on 'Velle Exec 180 after 65k miles – WTF?
An update from me...

Went to the dealer I bought it from. They told me the van had been 2 years out of the network so there was no goodwill they could offer - "Take it up with VW Commercial Customer Care".

Called VW Customer care to open a case. They insisted I took it to a local dealer for a checkover. Did that. They then (in conjunction with VW Customer Care) insisted I did a consumption test (fill it with oil, drive it for 1000 miles, take it back and have the oil emptied out and weighed). Did that. Computer said "Out of tolerance".

VW Customer Care then came back to me and said they had no good will to offer, sorry. "The only thing you can do is take it up with the place you bought it from".

So I filed a claim with the small claims court against the dealer I bought the van from. The claim was for 2/3 the parts cost of the engine, 100% of the labour costs to replace it, plus 50% parts and labour costs for the DPF and Lambda Sensor replacement - what I considered to be fair given the use I (and the previous owner) have had from the van.

The day before the response deadline on the court claim I got a call and the dealer settled for my proposed claim. I ended up paying roughly £1500+VAT for the base engine, DPF and Lambda sensor replacement, plus the software update specified in the TPI. Plus £185 court costs which I had to pay up front to file the claim.

Which I considered a fair deal as the van had done 90,000 miles by the time the engine was replaced ('10 plate Caravelle).

Currently driving it gently to try and be nice to my shiny new engine...

PS I discovered a TPI relating to software update for the DSG gearbox which has resolved the hesitation on pulling away, which I thought was just because the van was a heavy old thing and need a bit of getting going. I got the dealer to do that update also and it is very much better to drive. Loving my van again now :)

Thanks to CaptainBeaky for the inspiration.

Jon.

Unfortunately I can't go down that route a I bought the van privately, no dealer was involved.

Alan

Just on the topic, I though I'll share my experience - I drive 2006 with only 100k km at the moment and it does take some oil as well, bit more than I expected. My mechanic, and I have a huge trust (over 20 years working of VW and Audi) in him says it could be because of turbo, I might need to refurbish it but for the moment I can try to put bit thicker oil or one of these Castrol Magnatecs that stick to the sides of the engine. I'll try with the Magnatec first, then if it doesn't work I'll go for thicker oil, then if nothing helps I'll go for turbo refurbishment which is obviously the highest cost of all 3 I mentioned. I'm sure it will stop on no. 1 or 2 though.

Wojcieh Jerzy, this question relates to a particular known problem with early 180hp BiTurbo engines, where the cylinder bores become oval and they start to (almost) consume as much oil as they do diesel.

Just on the topic, I though I'll share my experience - I drive 2006 with only 100k km at the moment and it does take some oil as well, bit more than I expected. My mechanic, and I have a huge trust (over 20 years working of VW and Audi) in him says it could be because of turbo, I might need to refurbish it but for the moment I can try to put bit thicker oil or one of these Castrol Magnatecs that stick to the sides of the engine. I'll try with the Magnatec first, then if it doesn't work I'll go for thicker oil, then if nothing helps I'll go for turbo refurbishment which is obviously the highest cost of all 3 I mentioned. I'm sure it will stop on no. 1 or 2 though.

How much does it use litres/miles?

Back