Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increased Oil Consumption Problem (2010 T5 Cali 180 bhp)

For £5k you got a great price and did all the right things, making the very best of a bad situation.

If I owned a Cali with this issue I’d go down the same route (unless the 140bhp was a viable option)

This Cali is £20k and whilst it sounds cheap not sure I have the will to put myself through it all
£20k for a 2012 seems to be good deal. On the face of it. Does it have lots of extras? Such as

Leather
Rear Aircon
Nav / Bluetooth
PDC
4Motion

If you factor in a max spend and i think from reading here you will get a good feel for that. If cost is more than £10k to fix i wouldn't go near it

Luckily - My engine didn't crap itself down the exhaust - which would have added more £££$$$

My guess.
Come 2030, the value of these vans will sky rocket…. ;)

Spoke to Retro Resus who were very helpful and reportedly fitted 56 180bhp engines last year!!

They actually state there’s nothing wrong with the 180bhp engines themselves, only the EGR valve.

So blanking that off and a new engine from VW seems the right way to go. £9k all in.

Which means this £20k Cali is a good deal if the work that’s been done can be resolved.

Or alternatively not worth it once spent £20k + transporting it + £9k for new VW engine + time + any unknown factors.

I understand why people rush to remove the EGR but surely there are associated fuel trims in the map that can’t be altered ?

Personally I wouldn’t be afraid of a 180. Just rebuild it and make sure the EGR stays in good condition.

Each to their own.

Spoke to Retro Resus who were very helpful and reportedly fitted 56 180bhp engines last year!!

They actually state there’s nothing wrong with the 180bhp engines themselves, only the EGR valve.

So blanking that off and a new engine from VW seems the right way to go. £9k all in.

Which means this £20k Cali is a good deal if the work that’s been done can be resolved.

Or alternatively not worth it once spent £20k + transporting it + £9k for new VW engine + time + any unknown factors.
56…
Wow, they must have a good handling of that unit now. I would just get them to overhaul that engine and hopefully give you some peace of mind.

Don't worry the 204 T6 / T6.1 will soon be added to the list.

Don't worry the 204 T6 / T6.1 will soon be added to the list.

Ouch. That’s got to hurt. Especially as the 180bhp / 204bhp engines cost so much as an ‘upgrade’ initially

Does anyone actually have accurate numbers of the total number of vans affected versus total number built?

Does anyone actually have accurate numbers of the total number of vans affected versus total number built?
No, unfortunately. Just Internet and Facebook chatter.

If this is the Cali on Auto Trader it was up for £32K 4 weeks ago. I enquired about it and the sellers very honest and told me they had spent £12K already on the recon engine. Something bad must have happened in the last 4 weeks to be letting it go that cheap

If this is the Cali on Auto Trader it was up for £32K 4 weeks ago. I enquired about it and the sellers very honest and told me they had spent £12K already on the recon engine. Something bad must have happened in the last 4 weeks to be letting it go that cheap

Yeah, I’m sure it was £32k when I saw it originally.

Grey 2010 model with nice alloys?

It was dropped to £20k.

To be fair.
12 years old with a knackered engine, £32k???
Perhaps they came to their senses…

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m sure it was £32k when I saw it originally.

Grey 2010 model with nice alloys?

It was dropped to £20k.
Yep that’s the one. Looked great to be honest and the owners had it for years which is always a good sign….I’m glad I joined this forum as I new nothing of the 180BHP engine issues. It has certainly put me off this variant.

Yeah. ..We will be like madmax trying to get fuel to run them.
I went camping with a chap who works in the energy industry this weekend. Telling us how he’s getting solar panels fitted he painted a picture of UK energy crisis come January that wasn’t far off Mad Max. Reckoned government would need to choose between industry and homes for gas. Advised my wife to buy camping gas as thought likely we might need it in January with supplies possibly rationed and turned off.

I went camping with a chap who works in the energy industry this weekend. Telling us how he’s getting solar panels fitted he painted a picture of UK energy crisis come January that wasn’t far off Mad Max. Reckoned government would need to choose between industry and homes for gas. Advised my wife to buy camping gas as thought likely we might need it in January with supplies possibly rationed and turned off.
Currently looking at upgrading our 24/7 factory generator in case of forced outages in industry this winter. Big engines in short supply atm, Ukraine taking a lot. Two days saved production pays for new genny instal.

Currently looking at upgrading our 24/7 factory generator in case of forced outages in industry this winter. Big engines in short supply atm, Ukraine taking a lot. Two days saved production pays for new genny instal.
He was suggesting industry might be ‘furloughed’ rather than turn off domestic supplies.
I’m sure Liz Truss etc would like to keep the lights on (and ovens and radiators working). Industry has less votes than the public.

Brilliant. The “toilet roll hoarding” equivalent of camping gas ensured.

No 907s yesterday to replace my empty van one. 2 months since they had stock. Had to take a 904. Last 907 lasted me 5 years so hopefully a couple of years out of little 904.

I feel for anyone who has invested into a troubled California. I have owned two 180’s over the last 10 years and never had any issues whatsoever. My last one was a 15 plate and was impeccable and if honest very sad to sell it when we upgraded to a t6.1.
Maybe I was lucky but only used quality fuel, never used for short journeys and always serviced every twelve months regardless of miles.
I’m sure VW know about these issues shame they can’t be honest.
Good luck to anyone currently with issues

Back