Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inflatable mattress solutions

If you haven't already, before you use it for your first trip you need to let in inflate at home. No doubt it was vacuum packed in China many months ago and needs many hours to expand.
Thank you, we did that and I'm glad you mentioned it!

We use it, and it does make inflation easier. It sounds weird thing to point out, but the bag material is really noisy in use, so if someone is sleeping upstairs then make sure you inflate your mattress before they go to bed!
Purchase made, I think it's sensible to use it rather than blowing into the mattress and introducing moisture. Thanks for the advice!

We just got a sea 2 summit for our new van and it's by far the best thing we've slept on. We had two or three toppers in the old van but it was still very hard. Only negative to sea 2 summit so far is we sleep downstairs and it's a pain to deflate each day. Still worth it for the comfort though.
We deflate it by rolling it up with valves reversed and store it upstairs, replacing the original upstairs matress and sits there with roof closed. Takes maybe 3 min.

Roger do you happen to have an isotop fitted upstairs ?

Thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Scoobz

Roger do you happen to have an isotop fitted upstairs ?

Thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Scoobz
sorry to jump into your question. Roger says he's leaving the S2S with roof closed, but he "replaced" the original mattress. So I am confident that by removing the original mattress there is enough room to store the S2S also with an Isotop.
I also have an Isotop. and with the original mattress left in place I doubt you can leave anything more that a bedsheet+ mattress cover...

We have removed the original mattress and replaced it with the S2S sim. We are able to deflate it sufficiently by using a hand held electric inflator/deflator, as mentioned in an earlier post. We also leave a Woolroom topper and window blinds up there and the roof will close. Every now and then the rear of the roof will be slightly proud. We have to raise the roof again and pull the SIM forward a tad and that sorts it out. It’s really important to get as much air out as possible and the electric deflator makes the process quicker and a lot easier.
thx. This solution looks very attractive, as it would be quite convenient to deflate the SIM completely and leave sleeping bags in there with the roof closed.
I just don't trust inflatables, at some point in their life they will puncture and don't want to be stuck in a long hol without a mattress at all!
Mind you my bad experience comes from tent camping with cheap inflatables mattresses...

This thing costs an arm and a leg. But it's worth it. I haven't heard of anyone having a puncture yet. Keep in mind that it's not 'just' an inflateable matress. On the inside it also has foam parts, much like a classic (non-inflateable) mattress.

I just don't trust inflatables, at some point in their life they will puncture and don't want to be stuck in a long hol without a mattress at all!
Mind you my bad experience comes from tent camping with cheap inflatables mattresses...
We have had an Outwell self inflating mattress for abt 15 years, still going strong - our son uses it alot when we have the awning up, they are pretty much bomb proof!

(They can get warm as they are 100% synthetic, but think some use a topper to overcome this.)

It
thx. This solution looks very attractive, as it would be quite convenient to deflate the SIM completely and leave sleeping bags in there with the roof closed.
Helps if you slightly deflate the mattress during day time iff it gets very hot the air will expand and possibly cause problems with the mattress being too hard over inflated

We have thermarest inflatables 30 years old and still used For camping with tent.

Do you Sea to Summit users find you get sweaty with the non breathing inflatable mattress?
We use sea to summit then have a zonesleep topper on top of that, very very comfortable and cool due to air movement in zonesleep

Hi I have been looking to buy the sea to summit camper version for quite a few months but cant find it anywhere. Has anyone got any ideas where to look? Surely manufacturing and / or sourcing problems can’t be going on this long? Thanks in advance

Hi I have been looking to buy the sea to summit camper version for quite a few months but cant find it anywhere. Has anyone got any ideas where to look? Surely manufacturing and / or sourcing problems can’t be going on this long? Thanks in advance
Lots of congestion at container ports at the moment, vessels awaiting discharge; they will get through eventually.

China is currently seeing higher infection rates which are impacting on port operations:

People have had more disposable income and more time on their hands during lockdown, hence more demand for stock but lower productivity in factories etc.

Your best option would be to find somewhere that will let you pre-order then you will get priority when stock arrives.

Last edited:
everywhere i have tried is out of stock. The one company who replied to me are hoping to have more stock by the end of June….

Posted a link to someone claiming it was in stock and when you went to add it to your basket suddenly it said not in stock !

Yes I looked into these guys they’ve got shocking reviews they are German and do not include the added taxes et cetera. Best to stay clear of them. I think I will just hold on and till they are widely available. We’ve just received the 25 mm Duvalays which seem fine on the VW downstairs mattress will give that a go for now!

On my second attempt to buy a S2S Campervan SIM from Germany, I may have succeeded! The first claimed it was in stock and after a few days admitted it wasn't and they couldn't get one! The second are slow but since I now have a UPS tracking number am hopeful that it will actually arrive.

They are still saying they have stock in case you are looking:

https://www.bikester.co.uk/sea-to-summit-comfort-deluxe-sleeping-mats-camper-van-blue-936054.html

I bought some bike bits and pieces from them last year and they arrived fine, although processing is slow as I said above.

I bought mine from Bikester and there were no additional charges and it was delivered in good time, I'm delighted with it.

Just received an e-mail from Bikester to an initial enquiry from about a week ago! They currently have 13 in stock.

Just received an e-mail from Bikester to an initial enquiry from about a week ago! They currently have 13 in stock.
I placed an order on 12 July and I am still waiting for it to be shipped. Understandable delays at the moment. I am reassured by the experiences here on this forum that extra charges won't be levied.

Yes I looked into these guys they’ve got shocking reviews they are German and do not include the added taxes et cetera. Best to stay clear of them. I think I will just hold on and till they are widely available. We’ve just received the 25 mm Duvalays which seem fine on the VW downstairs mattress will give that a go for now!
Just seen there's a S2S SIM for sale in used accessories.

I placed an order on 12 July and I am still waiting for it to be shipped. Understandable delays at the moment. I am reassured by the experiences here on this forum that extra charges won't be levied.
I have just received it and there were no extra delivery charges.

Mine was delivered yesterday. Quick and straightforward once UPS got their hands on it.
Let me know what you think of them. If they are easy to inflate and give you a good nights sleep. Very tempted to get one.

Back