Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance

D

DaveT54

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi. All.
Any recommendations for insurance. Mine is due to go up from £870 to £1380 in December so I’m looking around for an alternative. Currently with Safeguard for our 2020 Ocean 4wd.
Any suggestions for a cheaper insurer ?

I think you posted this question on the Safeguard Insurance thread also, so I assume you’ve been with Safeguard?

I’d give all the other reputable Motorhome insurers and brokers a call, such as AIB, Comfort, NFU, CAMC, A Plan. The bad news is that a few use the same insurers policy from Aviva, so the results might not differ much. Our car insurance rose by 35% this year, and shopping around didn’t help. However I called our insurer and asked for “their best price” and the quote was revised down by a decent amount.

Hi. All.
Any recommendations for insurance. Mine is due to go up from £870 to £1380 in December so I’m looking around for an alternative. Currently with Safeguard for our 2020 Ocean 4wd.
“Lifesure” or “LV” might yield cheaper quotes…neither needed trackers if that’s a consideration?

If you find a lower quote with a decent provider, maybe you could tell us all? Our van insurance renews in 2 months, and no doubt we will also be needing to shop around / compare policies!

Confused.com do Campervan quotes so might be worth a try.

Like @Hawthorns37 mines due in a few months so watching for info.

Car this month nearly doubled but online search and change of provider got it down to a 40% increase.

Last edited:
Hi. All.
Challenge is we are all with various insurers and the cost to play depends on many things - will be hard for us to give you a like for like based on your location, circumstances, storage, history. The same insurer between us both could be wildly different.

We went with and still with LV. They were a cracking deal last year at 600 quid multi-car. This year they charged me 1000. I stayed with them but feel it was and still is daylight robbery.

I’ll change to two separate insurances next year and use a comparison site to select which ones.

Insurance has increased a lot this year - just the way it is. I wouldn't expect to match your premium from last year, but I think it should be possible to find a quote within 20% assuming your personal circumstances haven't changed. I'm in Manchester too and insured with Comfort - they were the second cheapest behind LV, but there wasn't much in it and LV were a nightmare to try and deal with (campervan insurance with them has to be done over the 'phone and it took 40 minutes to get through to them each time).

Insurance is a problem I have been grappling with this week for my new Cali, I have not as yet got any recommendations although comfort and safeguard have been the best so far, not just price, but they actually know what a VW California is! NFU so far the worst, don't know a VW California, first questions were what are the dimensions and weight of the van and who converted it?
I think I must be a bit naive having only insured cars in the past, I thought they would have a list of factory produced campervans

I have a multi-car and it went up huge this year for no reason. Fed up.

Insurance give main reasons for increases as

Repair parts prices have gone up considerably.
Labour charges also gone up.
More claims being submitted.

Obviously the number of flooded cars claiming recently will add to future premiums. Living in a flood prone area will be loaded like houses, small print exclusion for flood damage?

Obviously the number of flooded cars claiming recently will add to future premiums. Living in a flood prone area will be loaded like houses, small print exclusion for flood damage?
Don’t forget that the price of second hand cars has gone up 30% over the last two year as well, increasing overall claims spend. Both weather related claims and car thefts are on the increase too. And finally, claims, and therefore premiums, fell during Covid so there’s a correction in the prices for that too.

All in all, a perfect storm, as they say.

And the Airport Car Park fire.

Don’t forget insurers now need to offer existing customers the same premium as new customers. An unintended consequence of the regulators meddling means insurers can’t profit from those customers that don’t shop around and cross subsidise those cheap new customer only deals.

Don’t forget insurers now need to offer existing customers the same premium as new customers. An unintended consequence of the regulators meddling means insurers can’t profit from those customers that don’t shop around and cross subsidise those cheap new customer only deals.
That was over 2 years ago. Would have thought that wouldn’t be an influence now.

That was over 2 years ago. Would have thought that wouldn’t be an influence now.
It takes time for the impact of change to hit company profits. That’s led to fewer insurance companies offering general insurance after exiting the market. Less competition therefore = higher premiums, albeit with a number of other factors that have contributed to the hikes.

I just think it’s profiteering. Everything else is going up, so why not stick up our prices while we can.

I posted something on my recent insurance experiences (2014 Cali Ocean), I went with Safeguard in the end after spending a lot of time on quotes and calls. Found Comfort and LV to be reasonable alternatives in my situation. My biggest tip would be that I found phoning and talking to insurers was very beneficial (usually after an online quote) and you got a more accurate quote. Next time I might just go straight to calling insurers. It all takes lots of time, whichever method you use.

I have just gone with the Caravan and Motorhome Club insurance. We were with LV as we had a car on insurance already and when we got the Cali we swapped it from the car. On renewal went from approx £280 to £480 which we expected.
Online quote from CMC was £900 but they had a guaranteed £25 saving on renewals. I called them up and they ended up quoting us £460 (we added legal extra) for far better Campervan specific insurance.

We’ve just accepted a renewal offer from Comfort Insurance at £382.
2022 - £585 (10,000 miles plus pa)
2023 - £355 (8,000 miles pa)
2024 - £382 (8,000 miles pa)

I didn’t think that a 7.5% hike was too bad considering, and we were bracing for something north of £500 given renewals family and friends have had !

LV was also cheapest offer we had 2 years ago. Big difference between LV and Comfort in terms of insured amount for valuables including camping items.

Had a great deal with LV over the last two years. This time it was going to almost double. Cast about for a better offer - Comfort, Ripe, Direct Line and Safeguard wouldn't offer cover as we keep the vehicle on the street and it is too valuable. CMC came in just below the LV offer, but in the end we went with Admiral multi car which was much the cheapest overall, and allows business use.

Hi. All.
I managed to reduce my premium by £ 300 by adding a family member to my policy. Obviously one with good history. I don't intend to let them use the Cali, but having two or three good additional drivers can lower a premium. Hope this helps.

Had a great deal with LV over the last two years. This time it was going to almost double. Cast about for a better offer - Comfort, Ripe, Direct Line and Safeguard wouldn't offer cover as we keep the vehicle on the street and it is too valuable. CMC came in just below the LV offer, but in the end we went with Admiral multi car which was much the cheapest overall, and allows business use.
Same issue. LV renewal was a joke.