Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intermittent charging on EHU

NickE

NickE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've had a problem recently when on hookup at two separate campsites. I plug in and everything looks good with correct charging symbols on the control panel (2013 SE) and positive amps. Then after 2-3 hours it stops charging and control panel charging symbols disappear. Unplugging and then plugging in again solves problem but it then drops out again after a few hours. Keeping on unplugging/plugging in finally gets you to a point where it stays charging and the leisure batteries get to 100%.
Anybody had the same problem or got any idea what maybe causing this?
I rarely use the EHU when on a trip, only using it to recharge the leisure batteries if staying put for more than 3 nights.

Not exactly the same thing but often we don't use EHU because we have a solar panel, but on the trips we did decide to use EHU we get loads of issues with the camping functions. Fridge randomly switches off, diesel heater runs the fan but the burner does not fire. Only happens when on EHU not when running on battery and solar. I think there is some sort of bug when on EHU that causes the camping panel to crash or have issues.

I've had a problem recently when on hookup at two separate campsites. I plug in and everything looks good with correct charging symbols on the control panel (2013 SE) and positive amps. Then after 2-3 hours it stops charging and control panel charging symbols disappear. Unplugging and then plugging in again solves problem but it then drops out again after a few hours. Keeping on unplugging/plugging in finally gets you to a point where it stays charging and the leisure batteries get to 100%.
Anybody had the same problem or got any idea what maybe causing this?
I rarely use the EHU when on a trip, only using it to recharge the leisure batteries if staying put for more than 3 nights.
Was the weather hot? There is a thermal cutout on the charger.
It was a problem on older vehicles where the charger was positioned under the fridge but I believe on your year vehicle it should be above the rear Leisure battery, so less prone to this problem.

Not exactly the same thing but often we don't use EHU because we have a solar panel, but on the trips we did decide to use EHU we get loads of issues with the camping functions. Fridge randomly switches off, diesel heater runs the fan but the burner does not fire. Only happens when on EHU not when running on battery and solar. I think there is some sort of bug when on EHU that causes the camping panel to crash or have issues.
Yours will be a different problem as you have a T6.1. Many functions in your case are Control Panel software related. Would be worthwhile you checking that you have the latest Control Panel software installed.

Yes, the weather was hot (30 something) but the first occasion was in the evening when considerably cooler.
That might be the cause. Van temperatures would be higher, even if the evening was cooler. It takes a while for the charger to cool down and reset.
All I can suggest is try during cooler weather.

Was the weather hot? There is a thermal cutout on the charger.
It was a problem on older vehicles where the charger was positioned under the fridge but I believe on your year vehicle it should be above the rear Leisure battery, so less prone to this problem.
I also experienced this for the first time when in Il de Ré last month. It was very hot at the campsite before and I wonder if that’s when it pinged off. Ours is 2008. Does it just reset itself?
I think it happened maybe 3 times. Unplugging and flicking the boot switch back and forth seemed to reset it.
I thought my 14 year old batteries had finally died but seemed ok this weekend charging on long drive and running fridge etc.

I also experienced this for the first time when in Il de Ré last month. It was very hot at the campsite before and I wonder if that’s when it pinged off. Ours is 2008. Does it just reset itself?
I think it happened maybe 3 times. Unplugging and flicking the boot switch back and forth seemed to reset it.
I thought my 14 year old batteries had finally died but seemed ok this weekend charging on long drive and running fridge etc.
Very possible. Switching on and off will speed up the reset.

It's never happened when plugging in to keep the batteries charged over winter, so temperature could well be the issue.

Our batteries got down to 10%
1663008294223.jpeg
At 10.30pm I ran the engine for ten minutes which I don’t think my pitch neighbours were that happy about.
Fortunately next day were back to a good charge. Fridge stayed on the whole time.
1663008403222.jpeg
This weekend away not plugged in, we were still showing 80% on day 3, so hopefully no damage.

Last edited:
Our batteries got down to 10%
View attachment 99237
At 10.30pm I ran the engine for ten minutes which I don’t think my pitch neighbours were that happy about.
Fortunately next day were back to a good charge. Fridge stayed on the whole time.
View attachment 99238
This weekend away not plugged in, we were still showing 80% on day 3, so hopefully no damage.
The % reading is not to be relied upon. Only the voltage is accurate.

Back