Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intermittent Noise

P

PeteS

Vehicle
N/A
Hi
I have an intermittent noise which sounds a bit like a mobile phone on vibrate. It does it for about 10 seconds once or twice in my drive to and from work which is about 8 miles. It seems to be coming from the passenger side but as it only happens once or twice a day and only last for 10 seconds it is quite hard to find. Does anyone here have any ideas. The van is a Caravelle 180bhp DSG with front wheel drive.
Regards
Pete

Probally the verhicle computer under the dash.

Could be the Moo valves (N75) up tight to the bulkhead in the centre of the engine compartment, so sounds like it is coming from the dash.

This is a turbo pressure release valve and there are two on the 180bhp van
One for each turbo. The usual fix is to have the silicone tubes replaced.

Alan

Thanks for the replies.
For the computer is there a way this can be checked. Is there a particular fault that might cause this.
I will check the tubing to the Moo valves at the weekend. Judging by the name of the valve it is sort of the noise it is making.

Thanks for the replies.
For the computer is there a way this can be checked. Is there a particular fault that might cause this.
I will check the tubing to the Moo valves at the weekend. Judging by the name of the valve it is sort of the noise it is making.

If you listen carefully each time you open a door , switch on the contact, turn of the radio,...you hear a noise behind the dash . Test it with the engine not running and see if it's that noise you heard

Its what Alan C said, I had exactly the same on my 180, its not actually the N75 Valves themselves which most people think it is but the pipework, its a known issue and your VW dealer should be able to fit modified pipework which solves the problem. Left untreated it will eventually get worse and ultimately can cause Turbo issues.

It is possible to change the tubing yourself, but as these (2 valves, one for each turbo on the 180) are located just under the scuttle at the back of the engine compartment, it will involve a lot of knuckle scraping and not worth the pain or hassle. Let the VW tech do it. They have a way with that job I guess.

i took my van into the dealer and told him about the noise. He started it a revved it a couple of times and the tool it into the workshop. 10 minutes later he told me it was not what he thought it was and he told me that they would have to book it in but as it was intermittent then they may not find a problem.
Does anyone know what the part number is for the modified pipes for a 2012 180bhp van or if there is any difference and I could check. I moght of advice the dealer did say was try and record the noise on a phone do that they can listen to it.
Regards
Pete S

i took my van into the dealer and told him about the noise. He started it a revved it a couple of times and the tool it into the workshop. 10 minutes later he told me it was not what he thought it was and he told me that they would have to book it in but as it was intermittent then they may not find a problem.
Does anyone know what the part number is for the modified pipes for a 2012 180bhp van or if there is any difference and I could check. I moght of advice the dealer did say was try and record the noise on a phone do that they can listen to it.
Regards
Pete S
Not helpful to others without a sensible explanation.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 18.04.03.jpg

Hi
I am not sure what you mean.
Regards
Pete S
Neither am I, either way I think he needs to learn some manners! :sad

The part number you are looking for is V7EO 129 458 M, its a modified hose with a pulsation damper and you'll need two of them, about ÂŁ49.57 plus VAT and should be about an hours labour for a VW technician.

Hope this helps :cheers

Hi
I am not sure what you mean.
Regards
Pete S
Neither am I, either way I think he needs to learn some manners! :sad

The part number you are looking for is V7EO 129 458 M, its a modified hose with a pulsation damper and you'll need two of them, about ÂŁ49.57 plus VAT and should be about an hours labour for a VW technician.

Hope this helps :cheers
Very simple. If you are going to “ Disagree “ with someone’s post then have the courtesy and manners to explain so that other members get correct information rather than left wondering what is wrong with the information given.

Very simple. If you are going to “ Disagree “ with someone’s post then have the courtesy and manners to explain so that other members get correct information rather than left wondering what is wrong with the information given.
Best you do it on the original thread then, rather than stalking someone! Oh and all of these rules need to be added to the "Rules Page" in addition to don't mention "you know who" because of some historical fallout! We are all here to enjoy our Cali's and get as much information along with the best deals we can either individually or as a group, there will be disagreements on occasion!

image.jpeg I have just had a look under the bonnet and there seems to be two N75 valves which look like they have two little air filters connected to on them via a short length of tubing. I am assuming that theyare the N75 valves and the noise is coming out of one of them. The tubing running to them is softish I.e you can squash it between your thumb and finger.
I could not see a part number through.
I have added a photo if anyone can help identify want I have fitted and if I am looking at the right valve.
I did not mean to cause any offence or fighting over this post. If I have done something wrong the please let me know as it was not my intention to upset anyone on here as you all seem a very helpful bunch of people and that is why I joined.

Don't worry PeteS, just occasionally some individuals get a bit precious about the little things.

You are looking at the right things, however it isn't the valves themselves that are the issue its the piping. It a known VW T5 fault, not just the 180BHP or the California only. The issue is that the pipes can cause a vibration/resonance, I found it was only really when setting off. Your dealer should be able to replace the piping for you (its a nightmare trying to do it yourself as the new kit also includes a pulsation damper so its all very fiddly, you'll need to replace both or the noise will return. Identical to my van and same year.

Hi Lost Boy
Thanks for your help. I will speak to the dealer hopefully if I can prove to him that it is making the noise they may do it under the warranty I got when I brought the van.
Once again thanks for you help.

Don't worry PeteS, just occasionally some individuals get a bit precious about the little things.

You are looking at the right things, however it isn't the valves themselves that are the issue its the piping. It a known VW T5 fault, not just the 180BHP or the California only. The issue is that the pipes can cause a vibration/resonance, I found it was only really when setting off. Your dealer should be able to replace the piping for you (its a nightmare trying to do it yourself as the new kit also includes a pulsation damper so its all very fiddly, you'll need to replace both or the noise will return. Identical to my van and same year.

Best you do it on the original thread then, rather than stalking someone! Oh and all of these rules need to be added to the "Rules Page" in addition to don't mention "you know who" because of some historical fallout! We are all here to enjoy our Cali's and get as much information along with the best deals we can either individually or as a group, there will be disagreements on occasion!

I would have communicated by Personal Message but @PeteS is not a VIP member and he had not posted on the original thread only viewed it and then hit the “Disagree” button without any explanation on what was a thread relating to someone purchasing a vehicle.

Yes, I get precious about giving accurate information to someone that asks a question and so it is not helpful if someone Disagrees without offering an explanation.

DISAGREE by all means but don’t hide behind the anonymity of the internet and have the guts to explain your reasons.

Sorry WelshGas
I did not realise that I had disagreed with a thread. It was not my intention to cause a problem. If I disagreed with a post I would have said so.
One again sorry for the problem I have caused.
PeteS

I have just found the post I have disagreed. I did not intend to disagree with it. I have removed the rating now.
I fact I have an interest in the post as I have a t5.1 Caravelle with the 180 bhp engine and the cooler that is believed to be at the route of the issue.
I can only think that I hit the disagree icon on my phone by accident. Once again sorry I did not mean to disagree with you.

Sorry WelshGas
I did not realise that I had disagreed with a thread. It was not my intention to cause a problem. If I disagreed with a post I would have said so.
PeteS
That's OK, but I hope you can see my point. If we want to keep information and advice accurate for users then its fine if someone posts something they think is accurate and someone Disagrees but explains why then members can decide based on both explanations but without confusion can be caused.

Also you can change these Icons anytime if you happen to change your mind or make a mistake.

Sorry WelshGas
PeteS
Fat fingers happens.....
I've had a couple of disagrees (which I don't mind at all as opinions will differ) but due to the nature of my posts on those occasions I was baffled by it. So 1 of them I challenged and it was indeed another case of fat fingers...the other I just left as it was assuming the same thing.

Perhaps if people weren't so precious about stuff, you can always ignore it when someone does't agree, it may be a surprise but not everyone agrees all of the time!!!!

I've never understood why people get so worked up when someone hits disagree.
Does it really matter? I've had the odd disagree in the past but so what, life goes on and it makes no difference to your life so why get so worked up about??
I rarely post on here any more as it seemed that when I did it would either be ignored or it would rub somebody up the wrong way, disagree or no disagree.
There are certain members on here who are sticklers for rules or who enjoy a fallout either way I'm sure it puts off many other members from posting, both new and old.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back