Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is 130 bhp Cali under powered ?

We had a T5 130bhp conversion, pulled really well, with plenty of torque low down. Always happy overtaking and holding a comfy 80mph on the motorway. Quite a commercial feel in comparison to our T6 150bhp Cali.
Thanks John, just the sort of feedback that l was looking for.

Not a very nice posting, and not the sort of comment l think we want to read on this friendly forum.
My original posting was for 130bhp owner feedback. You can't really tell what a vehicle is like from a short test drive.
Don't give a rats...

Vans are a lot -like a massive amount- lighter than a Cali.
Exactly, I can't give any useful advice if a 130 is adequate or not, I haven't driven one.

But they certainly pass me on highway hills in my T4 2.5 Tdi with 102 hp & 250 Nm of torque, usually loaded to its max GVW 2,800 kg, less so in the mountains where they are limited to 5 speed same as me and the next gear is quite often a gear too far.

But how do you compare as to which is best, what are the expectations, how heavy is it, where are they going, staying in Blighty where there are no hills compared to mainland Europe, rolling hills of central France or deep in the Alps on lonely little used passes, many campers are fairly light, some have the everything and the kitchen sink and then some like me.

I'm very happy with my 102 hp & 250 Nm, it has dragged us up some amazing hills, last year in Croatia on a hill so steep in 1st on full power traction on dry tarmac was the problem with the electronic diff lock working hard.

Only thing I can add is that anything with a 5 pot is way better than a 4 cylinder no matter the power and only other comment I can offer is that the Audi 5 cylinder in the T4 will be around a lot longer than the VW 5 cylinder in the T5.

Theres too much discussion at times with no real end, too much "mine is better than" many don't know what real raw power is...

In my opinion they are all underpowered - I have a 204 which I think is underpowered - I think it a great shame they don’t put a 3.0 engine in and then I think it would be perfect all round
I'm assuming your on the wind up, I generally drive a Cayenne Turbo, currently using my parents 204 and its perfectly adequate, perhaps even brisk.

I've been asked by a single lady friend, whom I've encouraged to become a Cali owner, and maybe the next Granny Jen(!), is a 130 bhp Cali under powered? I quite honestly haven't got a clue. For me, yes, it would be, but maybe for others not. Feedback would be much appreciated.

How did your friend decide? Hopfully for a California!

I'm assuming your on the wind up, I generally drive a Cayenne Turbo, currently using my parents 204 and its perfectly adequate, perhaps even brisk.
Maybe you should get your Cayenne serviced

Back