Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is 4 motion really necessary?

Not necessary but definitely fun. This is a 150 with manual with diff lock. Unfortunately manual 4Motions don’t seem to be available anymore. Great shame.

Nice to see one being used.
How wet is it, because the Cali is coping very well. Around my parts it’s incredibly wet at the minute as it’s been raining for about 4 years non stop...

Nice to see one being used.
How wet is it, because the Cali is coping very well. Around my parts it’s incredibly wet at the minute as it’s been raining for about 4 years non stop...
Yes same here the ground is wet enough that it squelches when walking. It’s got some sharp new BFGoodrich on which obviously helps.

Rear wheel drive in slippery conditions is a non starter(!), as I discovered years ago when I to took my BMW to ski.
My Marco Polo was surprisingly good in slippery conditions, though 2wd and rear wheels at that, the traction control was would cut in and direct the drive to the wheel that had grip, there is a fair weight at the rear and, at times, a wee bit of extra ballast helped too - probably better than my T5 or T6.

Tom

Enjoyed that. I've never been hung up on tyre changes throughout the year but this has given me pause for thought.

So Summer and All season for the UK!? :thumb

I do think the all season are very much a happy medium, especially on the California.
Something more high performance I would look at having two sets...

I do think the all season are very much a happy medium, especially on the California.
Something more high performance I would look at having two sets...
I've just purchased and fitted a new set of delivery miles Devonports with new Goodyear Vector 4Season tyres that I bought from another forum member. I agree that they are a compromise but we rarely get really bad weather in the south of England. When we have had the odd rare heavy snow fall, our village gets cut off almost immediately. So if it happens again I won't be driving anywhere.
So I feel the Vector 4seasons are probably a good choice for my circs. For those that live up north then full winters are probably a better choice.

Very interesting video.

Because I use our Cali much more in summer than winter, I've been tempted to run summers all year. But right now I have a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons on, and I'll probably just stick with those... on the basis that I'd rather have the added security in cold/wet than some extra stopping power in summer, even though I use it more in the warmer months. Logical? Not really.

But I'm just not going to swap tyres around between summer and winter on a vehicle that isn't my daily driver and I don't thrash around.

Good morning,

I was never really happy with the orginal tyres. Since the summer I got the Michelin CrossClimate installed. I am quite happy with those.

My driving style is moderate, so I will never push the tyres to the limit on dry roads. On wet roads I feel they are better than the orginial Turanza. Also I feel that traction on not ideal surfaces (like grass, mud) had improved a wee bit. So far I also feel that the wear and tear is good as well. I don't believe I will change to a different brand.

What I can't get my head around is that the usage of the tyres in the front and back is identical. The tyres were checked during last service, wich was about 2 weeks ago. They were checked front and back and each tyre was also checked left, middle and right. Either it wasn't done correctly or it is strange that all 4x tyres have idendial usage (regardless front or back, or on a tyre left, middle or right). From feeling I think it is a good sign that the wear on each tyres is so equal.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good morning,

I am following the post here with interest. In 2017 I got a pre registered Ocean with FWD. I am very happy with the van, it is a pleasure to drive.

Spring 2018 I got stock on an even but wet grass surface. It was not easy to get out, espeically I didn't like that cars were parked in front and back. Trying to get out only resulted in spinning front wheels and slipping vehicle.

I believe that to 99% 4motion is not needed, also I believe that the service and repair cost on a 4 motion is much higher than on FWD, beside all this, if I could afford it, I would getting 4motion. Just for that peace of mind.

Just a few days ago the VW dealer send me the Irish price list for the California T6.1. Unfortenatley it seems that the 4motion is only available with the biggest engine and DSG. Adding a wee bit of extras and extended warranty brings the price over 90K Euro - that is scary. I don't believe I can financially strech that much.

In Germany there is the option for 4motion with a Ocean, 150HP engine, manual gears. The only thing I wanted to add was a trailor hitch, differential lock and extended warranty. :(

Regards,
Eberhard

Good morning,

I am following the post here with interest. In 2017 I got a pre registered Ocean with FWD. I am very happy with the van, it is a pleasure to drive.

Spring 2018 I got stock on an even but wet grass surface. It was not easy to get out, espeically I didn't like that cars were parked in front and back. Trying to get out only resulted in spinning front wheels and slipping vehicle.

I believe that to 99% 4motion is not needed, also I believe that the service and repair cost on a 4 motion is much higher than on FWD, beside all this, if I could afford it, I would getting 4motion. Just for that peace of mind.

Just a few days ago the VW dealer send me the Irish price list for the California T6.1. Unfortenatley it seems that the 4motion is only available with the biggest engine and DSG. Adding a wee bit of extras and extended warranty brings the price over 90K Euro - that is scary. I don't believe I can financially strech that much.

In Germany there is the option for 4motion with a Ocean, 150HP engine, manual gears. The only thing I wanted to add was a trailor hitch, differential lock and extended warranty. :(

Regards,
Eberhard
I specified a 150bhp manual 4Motion with diff lock and hill descent control for my van when I ordered it in 2017. I had a look at a T6.1 to see what it costs. With the mandatory DSG and 199bhp engine it comes up at £10k more than I paid for mine with the same spec. It looks like I’ll be keeping this one for a long time. I love it and it does everything I want it to but it’s a real shame there’s no way of getting a manual 4Motion in the U.K. any more.

5E0BF7E6-0508-42BE-88C6-FEC4AD84178D.jpeg

Which CrossClimate do you have, +, SUV, or Agilis?

Good evening,

The + version. I saw that there were different CrossClimate version available, but I could not see a difference.

It took my VW dealer almost 2x weeks to get them. It seems that not many drivers are looking for all season tyres in Ireland.

Regards,
Eberhard

For what it’s worth.
I’ve gotten out of many a sticky situation as a result of the diff lock on my 4 motion coupled with all weather Conti Contact 4 season tyres.

In 5 foot snow drifts in the Peak District (notorious road between Macclesfield and Whaley Bridge) got stuck behind snow plough, which had come across a car that wasn’t movable. I had to reverse half a mile up a banked hill. The van was only controllable due to tyres and diff lock. Had many a similar situation all round the Peaks and Lakes.

Many a wet event field has been escaped from (I race MTB) after a wet weekend of camping whilst we race. Many a vehicle ends up being stuck for days unless the event organisers can hustle up a tractor to pull them out. Mine has always driven out with ease.

We use our Cali to get off the beaten tracks. Off for proper adventures all year round. Most folk don’t need it, because there not as daft as us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my only regret was not buying a awd 4 motion . if you can and want to take advantage of the mountain tracks in Spain then get the 4 motion ..... the 2wd with decent tyres will get you most places but if you are asking the question I guess you really want the 4M , just get it , I would

Back