Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is California Beach 204 PS DSG 4Motion a good idea?

I have a 204 4motion DSG Beach and it has required no oil fillup at 30.000km. No other problem either.
As you did I studied the 0-100 figures and decided I want arround 10s. The 13.5s on the 150HP is not with 4 people, 4 bikes and full of camping gear.

I ordered Californie Beach with a 204, DSG and 4Motion engine but I'm wondering if it's a good choice. 4 Motion must definitely stay because of the places we go to, but reading reviews on local forums I'm not convinced of DSG and the 204 hp engine. I plan to ride California every day to work, take children and wonder about the durability and cost of DSG exploration and double turbine? Is it a good choice or decide to have a much slower engine of 150 km and manual transmission? I can still make the correction!
What ever you buy has the potential to go wrong and the more options you add increases that risk but that said I am not aware of any particular issues with the current 204ps engine, dsg gearbox or 4 motion systems. Whilst I think this version of engine is fairly new, the dsg and 4 motion systems have been well and truely tested over the years and any issues ironed out. The cost of servicing will be higher but you have to expect that.

If it suits your needs then go for it. It sounds like a perfect combo.

If you are asking for a non-partisan opinion from Forum members then forget it. You won’t get it I’m afraid. Those who have the 150 or 204 engine will support their case come what may. After all if they had made the wrong choice, an expensive one, they are hardly going to admit it.
Likewise DSG or Manual gearbox.
All I will say is the 204 will be more expensive servicing or repairing.
DSG has been around a long time and rarely figures with problems on this and other VW forums. Manual gearbox, they have clutches and DMF flywheels which wear and have to be replaced at some point.
The choice is yours but don’t expect any unbiased opinions.

You’re right WG. I dunno why folks ask re ‘opinion’; as that’s all you will receive... Better to ask pros/cons really. Forums are notorious for people going off in a tangent (a bit like I am now ). Someone posted one time looking for help as their van had been stolen - and I honestly saw a response saying that their van (i.e., the respondees) hadn’t been stolen...

I have just tried to order a beach 150ps with 4motion and diff lock to be told that you cannot buy a 4motion beach in the U.K.! Is this correct? Where did other beach owners with 4motion obtain theirs?

I have just tried to order a beach 150ps with 4motion and diff lock to be told that you cannot buy a 4motion beach in the U.K.! Is this correct? Where did other beach owners with 4motion obtain theirs?
Yes it's correct :-(

In Poland, fortunately, all the car configuration options are available. The car has already been ordered and I have just received information from the seller that Cali will be ready at the end of March :)

Paddles to Operate the DSG in Manual Mode.
The paddles work in the normal drive and sport modes as well. You can manually change gear, if you then don't change again after around 30s you automatically go back into drive or sport mode again.

Couldn’t get one here. Had to go to Germany (LHD)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UK Choice at present:

Beach - 150 Manual Gearbox TSI only
Beach - 150 DSG Gearbox TDI only

Ocean - 150 Manual Gearbox TSI
Ocean - 204 DSG Gearbox TSI
Ocean - 150 DSG Gearbox TDI
Ocean - 150 Manual Gearbox 4Motion TDI
Ocean - 204 DSG Gearbox TDI
Ocean - 204 DSG Gearbox 4Motion TDI

Back