Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warranty runs out in September

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I can't believe we've almost reached "out of warranty" time already but a month after our Euro trip, it's no warranty time.

So far we've had a new rear diff, steering column, the roof paint re-done and a few minor bits with sensors. We also had the EGR valve fault light come on but it was re-set with no further issues.

I'm completely against extended insuran…I mean "warranties" so will running it without cover.

The question is, what will go wrong first?!

Hopefully nothing.

You can get it MOT'd one month less a day in advance of it's 3rd birthday so that if there are any mechanical issues you still have warranty. Could also ask the dealer to give it a thorough check over for you as well.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
You can get it MOT'd one month less a day in advance of it's 3rd birthday so that if there are any mechanical issues you still have warranty. Could also ask the dealer to give it a thorough check over for you as well.
Or go for an independent 'end of warranty check' (does the AA offer such a service?) a month before, and then bring the car to the dealer with that checklist of items to be repaired under warranty still.

Cheers Alex; we'll use the Euro trip to test for any issues but I think most things that may have gone wrong have been replaced.

I did call VW after the third big issue and ranted; they said that even out of warranty they do look at some cases, taking into consideration loyalty, etc (basically whether the customer is worth sorting out or not!) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

KernowLad said:
Cheers Alex; we'll use the Euro trip to test for any issues but I think most things that may have gone wrong have been replaced.

I did call VW after the third big issue and ranted; they said that even out of warranty they do look at some cases, taking into consideration loyalty, etc (basically whether the customer is worth sorting out or not!) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes they do and customer care are good and helpful with issues. Check everything and make a note of it as you go otherwise you will forget.

cheers

Pray. Owning these things under warranty is a roller coaster ride. Owning out of warranty will be like juggling chainsaws. Very sound advice that you get it comprehensively checked before the warranty expires.

I am not convinced that after teething issues, these things will ever be reliable. But unfortunately I can't find another vehicle as well designed as the Cali which is the only reason why I did not sell mine at the second sign of trouble.

I face a similar dilemma later this year when my warranty runs out and the crap build quality is of grave concern. I have recently been raped by Audi on a 4 and 5 yr old car. I don't want the same treatment by VW. I want out of it, but the missus really wants to keep it.

Having a nightmare. Roof stopped working, faulty heated seats, rust above the windscreen now the EGR valve has gone!! 3.5 years old, this cant be right? Any advice before I drop it off at VW? Words of wisdom. Not impressed......(Cali 180 2ltr biturbo) :censor :headbang

Silverboat said:
Having a nightmare. Roof stopped working, faulty heated seats, rust above the windscreen now the EGR valve has gone!! 3.5 years old, this cant be right? Any advice before I drop it off at VW? Words of wisdom. Not impressed......(Cali 180 2ltr biturbo) :censor :headbang

Ouch!!!

After a few issues with ours, I called VW in a bit of a strop. They said they do take care of customers, even out of warranty: sounds like you need to hope they mean it.

Good luck!

Hi there

Our EGR fault light came on and was reset, came back on a couple of weeks later along with engine management light and went into "limp mode".The EGR unit was replaced a few days within warranty on the driveway in about 45 minutes, he had half a dozen old units in the back of his van and spare new ones and did the job without looking as he chatted to me, he was well practiced!
If you take off the plastic cap that the wires plug into, ours was full of condensation and all the electrical components had shorted out, I reckon the rest of the £500 unit was OK but it was all changed.

EGR on a 140 is a pretty quick job, on a 180 it is a bit of a shocker.

Hi there

Yes, forgot to say it was on a 140 Kombi we have at the moment, California arriving mid June :D

My warranty runs out on 10th May. I also thought about selling & buying a newer Cali, but the way the price has gone up the spec I would want means it would be more than I can justify. So I have decided to keep it & add the stuff I want to it.
I have had all the jobs I can find done under warranty.
Booked it's first MOT on Friday & two on going warranty jobs looked at again.

Has anybody tried to extend the warrenty with VW? If so, any comments?
Mine runs out tomorrow, still got some on going issues, blistering paint, oil pressure warning light,

I'm EXTREMELY sceptical of extended "warranties" - it changes from a proper warranty (to help sell vehicles) to dressed up insurance. Suddenly there's an excess, claims are quibbled over, etc.

I think the Cali one is £1k a year?!

geordy paul said:
Mine runs out tomorrow, still got some on going issues, blistering paint, oil pressure warning light,

I tend to agree with Kernowlad on this.

Probably better off putting the premium into a savings account every month & call it "Cali emergency fund account" & god forbid anything big happens hopefully that account will fund repairs.

We were in the lucky position to pay for our van outright and that is the best part of 2 years ago so still a year of cover too run. Normally we would have HP or a loan running so as we did not have this have put away in a Cali fund future running costs. our aim is to keep it longer term and we now have a repair pot should we need a repair above a beyond normal .

We only buy outright too - in my young, naive days, I got a new car with a manufacturer's loans. Once I sold it, the depreciation PLUS the interest was so horrific, I haven't taken our any sort of loan since. And hopefully never will.

So it's not depreciating too much, it's not too bad to run (other than rather thirsty); I think I'll get it checked over then cross my fingers VERY hard!

Andy said:
geordy paul said:

I tend to agree with Kernowlad on this.

Probably better off putting the premium into a savings account every month & call it "Cali emergency fund account" & god forbid anything big happens hopefully that account will fund repairs.
Sound advice.

Back