Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it an Americanism?

westfalia

westfalia

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
It first started to bug me when i heard it years ago on tv and radio interviews, I´ve been trying to blank it from my mind.

Reading it was easier to ignore, i would just not read the first
word.

But then last week i got it, both barrels,face to face from 4 different people.
Using ´So` at the beginning of an explanation or sentence.

First off all i lose interest in what is about to be said and then i just look at the person wondering why they think they can use that ´silicon valley jive´on me.

It irritates me so much even my finger nails were angry.
I just need to know if i´m alone with this?

If i get a few yes-es. I´m off to see a shrink.

So what I have a grade D GCSE

I don´t mind those kind of So´s its the ´So, (pause for a second) we developed this`kind of So´s that really get me.
And, BerndRos, I am into life and my cali but even when i´m rolling the electric cable up or putting the roof down, it´s still in my head. I could be pitched up on top of Mont Blanc and it´ll still be with me.
Oh god, i think i´m the only one.

Am i missing out on something ?
Or is it a language diffrence?

I don´t mind those kind of So´s its the ´So, (pause for a second) we developed this`kind of So´s that really get me.
And, BerndRos, I am into life and my cali but even when i´m rolling the electric cable up or putting the roof down, it´s still in my head. I could be pitched up on top of Mont Blanc and it´ll still be with me.
Oh god, i think i´m the only one.

I spent years domiciled at a Southern state educational institute for apparently the brightest scions of the southern gentry and when I left I was still mostly none the wiser as to what was being said to me.

However it was not all bad. Everything was concluded with "Ma'am", begun with "May I" and liberally interspersed with "it's kinda......"

It first started to bug me when i heard it years ago on tv and radio interviews, I´ve been trying to blank it from my mind.

Reading it was easier to ignore, i would just not read the first
word.

But then last week i got it, both barrels,face to face from 4 different people.
Using ´So` at the beginning of an explanation or sentence.

First off all i lose interest in what is about to be said and then i just look at the person wondering why they think they can use that ´silicon valley jive´on me.

It irritates me so much even my finger nails were angry.
I just need to know if i´m alone with this?

If i get a few yes-es. I´m off to see a shrink.
You are not alone!

With all the new ways of communicating, I suppose this is just one of those changes being brought in by people that have been educated and raised in a different way. I work on the basis of controlling the controllables and try hard not to let little things like that get to me too much. The world is an ever changing place, some for the better, some not so.

The incorrect use of "random" and "literally" are another two!

So, if this is the biggest worry in your life, do you not consider yourself truly blessed?

Sorry!:)

LOL! Wkd.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The incorrect use of enormity, grinds my gears !

Looks like it might be a block booking for the shrink! Club discount?

Good to hear i´m not alone. I feel better now, a problem shared and all that...

For the serious readers, it´s not so much of a problem and i do have a life.

I agree that 'so' in that context is irritating, but I would add 'myself and Jim...' instead of 'Jim and I...'.

Grrr, it is an age thing:mad:

Good to hear i´m not alone. I feel better now, a problem shared and all that...

For the serious readers, it´s not so much of a problem and i do have a life.
It's a bit of a So and So really, isn't it Westfalia?:D

LOL, interesting thtead for a Spaniard. After living in UK for several years I've learned a lot of things about your language (but still lot of room for improvement ;) ).

The point is that, working for an NORTH American company, with North American coworkers, managers, etc.. and consuming lot of movies, music, etc.. from there some times it's difficult to tell whether some expressions are British or Americans.

Same thing happens with Spanish from Spain and tge Spanish spoken by any south American country. They also have some grammatical constructions which sounds weird to me... and sometimes it's hilarious when some words can be sooooo different deoending of the country, I mean, a normal word in Spain which sounds really bad somewhere else.

And the most irritating thing to me.... "cool people" in Spain are always using English words because they think this way everything is more cool..... I hate that... mainly when they use word makes no sense here.

Back