Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the wife right about Xenon lights?

Hi

My two pence.

I have them on my Cali, and they were on the "must have" list. I don't have experience of the standard lights on the Cali (they maybe excellent), but I've owned plenty of cars both with and without in the past, and for me, and whilst pricey, I'd always add them.

I find the light penetration much better, the light is sharper and the view down the road much better.

Cheers
Mark

holliers said:
Hi

My two pence.

I have them on my Cali, and they were on the "must have" list. I don't have experience of the standard lights on the Cali (they maybe excellent), but I've owned plenty of cars both with and without in the past, and for me, and whilst pricey, I'd always add them.

I find the light penetration much better, the light is sharper and the view down the road much better.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark... :thumb

Bit late but...it's a definite yes for xenons for me, and they are 'good' xenons as well - night becomes day!

It's one of those things that makes a real difference - like I wouldn't buy cheap tyres because it is such a fundamental part of driving...

It isn't cheap though, granted...but if you are getting one new, you'll only do it once so get the spec you want and buy one less bottle of wine each week to offset it! In for a penny, in for a pound...

Even though my last post on this subject earned me a "dislike" demerit mark ...

The ability to look round corners, adaptive headlights that follow you around, are fantastic.

sorry to upset some people, but really really very helpful when on dark, unlit, poorly marked highways.

Even though my last post on this subject earned me a "dislike" demerit mark ...

The ability to look round corners, adaptive headlights that follow you around, are fantastic.

sorry to upset some people, but really really very helpful when on dark, unlit, poorly marked highways.
I don't really like some of the new icons/emojis i.e. dislike, bad spelling, dumb etc. I think they are very negative and possibly cause upset to some people. Far better to encourage positive responses and if you disagree with something then put your reply in words rather than a dismissive symbol. :sad

I'm sorry (and surprised) to see that you have had a 'dislike', Jen :( It may be that it was a mistake though as I had a 'dumb' trophy for a post which I now know was just a mistake and not meant at all - I think the little icons are very small and easily tapped by mistake, especially on tablets and phones etc. I must agree with Larrylamb though; I'm not sure how useful the negatives can be as icons as they could upset people.

On the other hand, I too really like the adaptive cornering function of the headlights - mine are not xenon but have the cornering function as standard (I think they have something to do with the fog lights although the fogs don't have to be on for the cornering lights to work). I find them very useful for turning tight corners in the dark when I need to gauge how close I am to a parked car on one side and the curb on the other!

Maud

I'm not really upset :p

The icons are new to all of us, I think I marked one of kev's posts as rubbish ... well, judging by the way he threw my coat at me I did :eek:

In Scotland I had no choice but to drive in the dark, they only have about 5 minutes of daylight up there, and the lights were excellent.

Now that opens a whole other bag of worms Jen.

5 minutes! Really!

I used to work in Gothenburg a lot before retiring - now they really do only have 5 minutes. Mind you midsummer in Sweden is something else.

Now that opens a whole other bag of worms Jen.

5 minutes! Really!

Well, ok, perhaps a very, ever so slight, exaggeration :)

However it did seem that I would wake up when it got light and by the time that I had the van packed, brekkie ate, hair brushed and lippy on then it was getting dark again :Grin

I don't really like some of the new icons/emojis i.e. dislike, bad spelling, dumb etc. I think they are very negative and possibly cause upset to some people. Far better to encourage positive responses and if you disagree with something then put your reply in words rather than a dismissive symbol. :sad

I have had dislikes too, for airing an opinion and I'll be honest it doesn't feel nice especially as I feel its a cowardly way of communicating by the person that does it, instead of explaining the reason for disliking or being productive. I can totally understand why Facebook never introduced it now, its quite deflating and I could see it stopping people for posting opinion for fear of people disagreeing or picking on spelling.. not to mention 'dumb' and 'old news'.. what a negative approach to social media.

Oh I have also had a "spelling mistake" icon thrown at me :)

It made me wonder for a few minutes if one of my disgruntled proof-readers had joined the forum and was getting there own back :p

My second Cali SE 180 had Zenons, bought new from Leicester V.W. two years ago, they were set far too high, on dip I could see irate Truck drivers quite clearly sitting in their cabs ,good job I did not have far to go to get home. It was my first drive in the dark,
Took it to Listers at Coventry, the only V.W. service that I go to, although it's 54 miles away. They adjusted them. so it appears they can be changed I then had ( I think ) a private message from a kind person from Switzerland ,on this site. saying that is possible to adjust the lights oneself, with instructions as to how to do it.
Grannyjen I love your posts so keep the humor coming and don't let the b____________ s get you down.
Bye the Bye how many miles have you clocked up in Albert now???
Regards Timber
who is a Great Grandfather now!!!!!!!!

Grannyjen I love your posts so keep the humor coming and don't let the b____________ s get you down.
Bye the Bye how many miles have you clocked up in Albert now???
Regards Timber
who is a Great Grandfather now!!!!!!!!

Well well, Great Grandfather!! Congratulations! Wonderful!

I'm still a mere beginner, grandchildren Henry and Finley being only 3 months and 20 months respectively, so a long way for me to go.

Albert is just over 13,000 miles but a 1.500 mile trip planned beginning Saturday.

Both myself and my husband have them on our every day cars so when we were considering buying our vw it was a talking point, we hired a van for the weekend and drove it in the dark down some country lanes in the pitch dark, we both found normal headlights gave us poor vision, so we opted for the zenon and so glad we did, at night it really does make a big difference!!!

Yes, we have a loan Cali without xenons and can't wait to get ours back ( for that and lots of other options on ours that we have grown to love)

Well well, Great Grandfather!! Congratulations! Wonderful!

I'm still a mere beginner, grandchildren Henry and Finley being only 3 months and 20 months respectively, so a long way for me to go.

Albert is just over 13,000 miles but a 1.500 mile trip planned beginning Saturday.
Looking forward to hear the tales from your trip. Love your posts!

Our son has a Sportline with Xenons and they are superb in comparison with the standard lights on our Cali. However, ours cost enough as it was, you have to draw the line somewhere, and we don't drive much at night. Personally, I think they should be standard at this price level and we should not have to pay extra for them.

I've been badly missing the loan Cali's xenons so when some H7 X-treme Vision +130% bulbs were on sale for £20 posted I bought some to try. Really impressed with them.

Disturbing news is the number of thefts of xenons seems to be going through the roof. Perfect for cannabis growing apparently. Not heard about California's being targeted, but certainly Discovery 4's and others.